My 10 day Jade cruise is cancelled

ljrfrm

I don't know.

If that's the reason the only fair thing to do should be to compensate their customers for all their expensies.

Sorry, based off your post, I thought you knew this to be fact and was wondering, because I've never heard of a cruise line cancelling a cruise because it is not selling well and though this would be a first.

Be glad the cruise was cancelled months in advance. My NCL Cruise was cancelled Monday evening for a Saturday sailing.

We were cruising with 2 other couples and we had to scramble to find alternate vacation plans. We had chosen to sail out of NY to avoid airfare and ended up flying to Florida to get a ship on another line. Had to switch from a 10 night to a 7 night because that’s all that was available on such short notice. Also had to make sure there were flights available for all of us as well as hotel rooms. Somehow managed to pull it all together in 14 hours after being notified. But it was a lot of text messages between the 3 couples, frantic phone calls to travel agents and hours of internet searching.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Wow, that is unfortunate! Do you know why it was canceled? What compensation did they offer?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Sorry, based off your post, I thought you knew this to be fact and was wondering, because I've never heard of a cruise line cancelling a cruise because it is not selling well and though this would be a first.

Since as far as I know NCL haven't said why they cancelled the cruises and replaced them with other cruises we don't know why they were cancelled.

I really hope that they didn't cancelled fully booked cruises just to be able to sell another itinerary at a higher price.

Be glad the cruise was cancelled months in advance. My NCL Cruise was cancelled Monday evening for a Saturday sailing.

We were cruising with 2 other couples and we had to scramble to find alternate vacation plans. We had chosen to sail out of NY to avoid airfare and ended up flying to Florida to get a ship on another line. Had to switch from a 10 night to a 7 night because that’s all that was available on such short notice. Also had to make sure there were flights available for all of us as well as hotel rooms. Somehow managed to pull it all together in 14 hours after being notified. But it was a lot of text messages between the 3 couples, frantic phone calls to travel agents and hours of internet searching.

I agree with you that the cancellation came very late but at least you didn't had to throw away any airlinetickets you had paid for.

Wow, that is unfortunate! Do you know why it was canceled? What compensation did they offer?

It was cancelled due to repairs needing to be done to the ship’s propulsion system. Understandable of course, but what I think they knew about it way in advance. This was a cruise in the Gem that had been rerouted due to the hurricane last year. They posted the new itinerary pretty quickly, but never posted any shore excursions.

As far as compensation, I don’t recall what we were offered if we had rebooked another ship right away, such as OBC.

I know there was $200 refundable towards airfare. That didn’t affect us since the ship sailed from NYC and we live there. One couple we were sailing with had train travel booked with Amtrak. I don’t know if they needed any reimbursement since you can usually get a refund from Amtrak pretty easily.

What we got was 50% of our cruise fare off our next NCL booking. I don’t know if there was a time limit. When I booked my upcoming cruise I just had to give my TA my Latitudes number and we were able to get the credit.

Of course, we had to book and fully pay for our new cruise before we got our money refunded by NCL. It wasn’t an issue for us, but it would have been nice if there was an immediate refund.

You are completely right, it is not common place as probably, the average cancellation for any line is a couple a year, but it is also something that does happen. As you can see from comments here made by so many, it happens. I would say you have been very lucky, I have to as a mater of fact. I have only been on one that was cancelled and it was not NCL. It was HAL which is the line with the worst reputation for chartering out their ships.

Interesting statement. How do you conclude that, “HAL is the line with the worst reputation for chartering out their ships”?

If throwing out claims one should probably be able to back them up.

Here’s a link to a cc article. It specifically references Sixthman. Sixthman is owned by Ncl. They have a very successful charter business. Likely the most successful in the business. What’s HAL’s charter division and how often do they charter? https://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=760

Edited by littlelulu01

Interesting statement. How do you conclude that, “HAL is the line with the worst reputation for chartering out their ships”?

Here’s a link to a cc article. It specifically references Sixthman. Sixthman is owned by Ncl. They have a very successful charter business. Likely the most successful in the business. What’s HAL’s charter division and how often do they charter? https://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=760

HAL devotes entire threads to their charters. ;)

A claim like that can be made because there maybe no HAL "cheerleaders" to vigorously push back on this NCL board.

Edited by IrieBajan54
add text

HAL devotes entire threads to their charters. ;)

There is a poster on the Hal boards who maintains a fantastic thread on dry docks, partial charters, full charters and groups onboard.

Someone on the Ncl boards tried this too.

Neither thread lists booked passengers whose sailings are canceled due to full charters, which is all that really matters. You only hear complaints when booked passengers cruises are canceled. Many charters, including those on Ncl’s Sixthman and other lines, are never in the regular booking mix.

“Hal worst for charters” taken literally = don’t use Hal if you’re interested in chartering a ship. However the way Nita used it certainly implies they are notorious for canceling booked passengers for charters and giving them less compensation than Ncl or any other line. The Hal threads don’t support this.

Edited by littlelulu01

There is a poster on the Hal boards who maintains a fantastic thread on dry docks, partial charters, full charters and groups onboard.

Someone on the Ncl boards tried this too.

Neither thread lists booked passengers whose sailings are canceled due to full charters, which is all that really matters. You only hear complaints when booked passengers cruises are canceled. Many charters, including those on Ncl’s Sixthman and other lines, are never in the regular booking mix.

“Hal worst for charters” taken literally = don’t use Hal if you’re interested in chartering a ship. However the way Nita used it certainly implies they are notorious for canceling booked passengers for charters and giving them less compensation than Ncl or any other line. The Hal threads don’t support this.

That is correct.

I know you are disappointed. I was bumped TWICE from the Jade the same week. A twist of fate rebooked us on The Epic.

Since there were no 3-pax suites to replace our earlier booking we ponied up extra for the DOS.

I would have never booked Epic outright so I ended up having an unexpected incredible cruise!

Just move on to Plan B and don't look back! Hope it works out for you like it did for me!!!

Thanks. Just hard trying to find plan B. I find bunches of options but the dates are off by days or weeks so they won't work. Seriously considering a non-cruise spring break - and then looking for another cruise option in fall 2019. Glad your plan B worked out so well.

So hard with such little notice. For some reason, I had the feeling our cruise this past March was going to be cancelled at the last minute. I would have been beyond frazzled trying to figure something out - as we were all flying in from different locations. That would have been terrible. Luckily, it wasn't and we had a great cruise. I am thankful for the notice - still just sad to lose the cruise. We booked it 15 months ago so even though it is still far out, I was very much looking forward to it. We are in the lucky position that we have time to figure something else out. I will say though we got an excellent price on the cruise which I am sad to lose. I have found some well priced cruised, but I just don't like the itineraries for one reason or another. We've cruise before just to cruise and not for the itinerary - but I do feel like going somewhere new this time. Or trying a new ship. Hopefully I can figure it out in the next week or two. As airfare over spring break is always so high, I really need to figure this out and book it soon.

I happen to be a retired Travel Agent who worked for a very large agency and I have a family member who owns a travel agency.

Now I really think this topic is like a dead horse. We all have our reasons for our views and opinions. I don't think any of us are going to solve the problems of cancellations so, at least for me, I am signing off the topic. I will watch as the rest of you keep debating this and getting nowhere fast.

I'm surprised that I read through all these postings, without anyone mentioning the real reason. I wouldn't book the Pearl or Jade between January and April. That's prime charter season. Other ships may be used, like the Sun, but those 2 ships are their primary charter ships. That's why there is no even little slide on either ship now. It blocks the view of the stage they set up on the pool deck for those big charters like the Sixthman. Avoid those 2 ships and it will be far less likely your NCL cruise will be cancelled. Book either of those ships during that time frame, and you're taking your chances. That's just the way it is.

Edited by CruisinHarvey

I beg to differ with the nonsense you just posted and that I highlighted in red.

I started cruising in 1971......in my 47 years of cruising, I have NOT experienced ONE SINGLE cancellation.

Please do not try to give this any kind of positive spin, there is NOTHING, absolutely NOTHING positive about this cancellation to the people it affects!

I agree....we have nowhere near the experience you have but with all of the reading and researching I do on cruises this is not a common thing. Its one thing due to something like the hurricanes etc. Our Jade southern itinerary was totally changed due to the hurricane this past year but NCL is becoming KNOWN for cancelling people's cruises due to some band or company chartering the ship. But since they still get all the business they want, they have no incentive to stop this practice. If they want to charter out a ship, it should be before it is already booking for other itineraries.

This thread has been so helpful for me. We are relatively new to cruising and never considered that the cruise line would need to cancel except for weather issues. When I was initially booking our next cruise which departs out of NYC, I was considering using an airline credit that I have on file from a previously cancelled flight. Once I found out from all of you that NCL does not cover all charges associated with a cancelled flight (I know that I erred by not reading all the T&Cs), I knew that I only wanted to use points since (for me) they are fully refundable up to 72 hours in advance of my flight. Thank you so much to everyone who contributed to this thread. This advice has been invaluable to us !!!!

This thread has been so helpful for me. We are relatively new to cruising and never considered that the cruise line would need to cancel except for weather issues. When I was initially booking our next cruise which departs out of NYC, I was considering using an airline credit that I have on file from a previously cancelled flight. Once I found out from all of you that NCL does not cover all charges associated with a cancelled flight (I know that I erred by not reading all the T&Cs), I knew that I only wanted to use points since (for me) they are fully refundable up to 72 hours in advance of my flight. Thank you so much to everyone who contributed to this thread. This advice has been invaluable to us !!!!
A cancellation of a cruise is extremely rare. It's probably 1 in a 1000

A cancellation of a cruise is extremely rare. It's probably 1 in a 1000

They are rare but the further out one books, the more likely they will encounter a cancellation.

If the cruise line, such as in this case offers up a 10% discount for anything in the fleet, most folks figure these things happen and get busy finding their next Ncl cruise. If it’s just $25 obc and the chance to pay more for an alternative, they likely won’t stick with Ncl over a $25 obc offer especially if they’re not already bound by airfare/change fees.

The few folks who get burned are those who had an awesome price, can’t find an alternative and have purchased non refundable airfare and cruise insurance. Those situations are sad to read about. Yes it’s all spelled out in the insurance and cruise line contracts but the glaring specifics are buried.

Certainly doesn’t hurt to take a few precautions when planning and budgeting for a dream vacation.

10% off ANY sailing that ncl is offering in this case is a nice gesture of good will for many passengers.

Rccl has a 9 day southern Carib on April 12 out of Miami a 7 day out of San Juan on April 14. Just dump ncl and look at other lines

Celebrity has stuff too

I was going to book this jade 10 day but the price was outrageous compared to rccl so I already jumped ship

Rccl has a 9 day southern Carib on April 12 out of Miami a 7 day out of San Juan on April 14. Just dump ncl and look at other lines

Celebrity has stuff too

I was going to book this jade 10 day but the price was outrageous compared to rccl so I already jumped ship

I saw that. We travel in the Haven so I am going to look into RCCL suite class to see how it compares price wise and amenity wise

I saw that. We travel in the Haven so I am going to look into RCCL suite class to see how it compares price wise and amenity wise

It's booking up very fast I got the last 2 person balcony and couldn't get a right across the hall inside for the kids so they are down the hall. No problem though

We are on the 9 day from Miami.

After looking at all our options for the cancelled week, we decided to change our game plan. I just booked the 14 night S. Caribbean from NYC in Oct 2019. It looks like a great itinerary and it saves us airfare. The itinerary looks fantastic, with a bunch of new ports for me. We used our 10% off, plus multiple other perks and OBC from our new travel agent (PCC never called me back so I moved on). I will make it to the S. Caribbean - better late than never!

We did look at other lines as well but I just didn't see anything that worked for us. The only one that misses out is my son, who will then be off at college and not joining us. Looking for something fun (and cheap) to do this April instead.......

While Sixthman is a subsidiary of NCL, they are their own company. There are many other charter companies that also use various NCL ships. I know of Flying Dutchman and On the Blue, but there are many others.

The main problem with partial charters is how much they affect “normal” cruisers. No one wants venues, including the main theater, to be off limits.

After a rocky year or two, NCL did not sell cruises on the Pearl during charter seasons for awhile, but 2017 saw the Pearl and Jade in dry dock. They didn’t sell cruises on the Jade for winter 2019, but most charters were contracted for the Pearl, hence more cancellations than there should have been.

We too we excited about the NCL - Jade over spring break and all the extras that came with it. The latitude insider offer, the distinctive voyages and the itinerary. The cancellation was terrible and so was the "gesture of goodwill." We booked the Jade back in April 2018 when tax day cruise sailings "pay no tax deals" and such were going on. In fact, we were looking at RCCL's 9 day on the Navigator as our top choice until we saw the NCL - Jade's itinerary and extra perks so we booked that. Since we were looking 12 months in advance, spring break cruises were cheaper and better rooms were available. In April the RCCL was $500 cheaper per person than today's rates. To provide a 10% discount really falls short to offset the cancellation of the cruise. They did not even extend any latitude offers or the distinctive voyage package. Just 10% and no explanations as to why it was cancelled.

We too have been cruising for over 20 years on various lines and never had a cruise cancel the entire cruise itinerary. Maybe a redirected port due to current/past weather conditions - but that was only one port.