My 10 day Jade cruise is cancelled

ljrfrm

I must agree that the OBC of $25/$50 is quite an insult for our "inconvenience" but $300 per person for an airline change fee is 50% more than I'd expect. I normally fly Delta and their change fee is only $200 per ticket. Which airlines charge more than that? I recall when it was $75 for domestic changes and $150 for international changes. When Delta went to $200 for any change, it was a big difference. $300 seems way too expensive to me.

I must agree that the OBC of $25/$50 is quite an insult for our "inconvenience" but $300 per person for an airline change fee is 50% more than I'd expect. I normally fly Delta and their change fee is only $200 per ticket. Which airlines charge more than that? I recall when it was $75 for domestic changes and $150 for international changes. When Delta went to $200 for any change, it was a big difference. $300 seems way too expensive to me.

The $300 change fees are only given if incurred. In order to get the money, you have to actually be charged the amount in a change fee. So for example, two separate one way Delta tickets will incur a $400 change fee. Ncl will reimburse you $300 of the $400 if you rebooked another sailing with them and can provide proper documentation the airline did charge the change fees. They aren’t just giving everyone $300. If Delta only charged $200 change fees but your new fare is $100 more than original fare Ncl will pay the $200 in change fees and you pay the $100 extra for the new higher fare.

Correct -- the change fee is always separate from the fare difference. $200 is the change fee that we "agree" to when we book an airline fare. The actual fare price is completely separate and at our own risk.

Delta Basic Economy doesn’t allow any change so you book and they warn you no change allowed. It’s use as booked or lose it. Delta economy and higher will allow changes for $.

Not a good deal to book Delta Basic Economy, I guess! (And you won't get frequent flyer points for your next flight either, I would think.)

Basic economy gets miles. Just no seat assigned or bag check or change allowed. They make sure you know what you are purchasing. Great for short flights and a nice savings if you don’t mind middle seats.

Just to clarify- Delta change fees for international are $200-$500.

Wow -- I've never seen $500. I am lucky because I am Delta Diamond and when I use points, I have no change fees at all. But wow, $500 is rough. NCL should cover actual change fees in that case. I can see that that it would be reasonable for them to ask for proof -- but they should still cover actual charges. Does some trip insurance cover that? We never get insurance for the flights because my status covers it, but I would hope that some insurance does cover it.

Wow -- I've never seen $500. I am lucky because I am Delta Diamond and when I use points, I have no change fees at all. But wow, $500 is rough. NCL should cover actual change fees in that case. I can see that that it would be reasonable for them to ask for proof -- but they should still cover actual charges. Does some trip insurance cover that? We never get insurance for the flights because my status covers it, but I would hope that some insurance does cover it.

No such coverage available on any independent travel insurance plan. Travel insurance won’t cover airfare if the cruise line canceled the cruise and as a result you don’t need the airfare. Doesn’t matter if it’s 60 days out or 6 months off.

If you purchase Ncl flights and Ncl insurance it’s covered. But in that case you’re likely better off just paying for a refundable ticket. My Ncl insurance quote for next cruise is $900. Independent insurance was less than half and covered twice as much. Ncl airfare is highly restrictive so I’d likely never book it.

Bummer! I guess I have (at least) one reason to be happy that we haven't retired yet and that I have to fly every week (YUCK) for work -- I still have the status that makes this much less painful for us. Someday, this will make us very unhappy but for now, I will be okay. Thanks for the info!

The biggest problem with the "airline change fee" is that if my cruise is cancelled I don't need to change my flights, I need to cancel them.

I recently bought airline tickets for our cruise in February and paid almost $4000 for two persons. If the cruise is cancelled most of that money is gone. Fortunately we are booked on MSC and they have a Swedish office which will make it easier to get some money from them, I think. What's in the contract between MSC and us doesn't override consumer laws so I don't think that I'm completely screwed if they should cancel our cruise.

After reading all the comments I too get annoyed with those preachy folks who say read the terms and conditions.

But that's how it is. READ THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS.

We may not like it but if we sign the contract we agree to the terms and conditions.

I also feel like and I have said this a lot, All charters should be booked by large groups 18 months in advance and before new schedules are published. Either that or offer only partial charters and let the public have the rest of the cabins

I agree with you but when we sign the contract we agree to the terms and conditions.

I think that it's incredible that a cruiseline can decide to charter out the ship when they already have sold cruises on it for the same time but that's how it is. What can we do? NOT BOOK A CRUISE, but is that really an option?

The problem with partial charters is that the cruiselines doesn't have to inform about them. We were booked on the same cruise as 2500 vegans next year and if it wasn't for cruisecritic we should have found out about it when we arrived to the ship. When I found out about it and talked to MSC about it they first said that it was the normal rules for cancellations if I wanted to cancel. (=deposit lost, around $600) I then told them that if the partial charter should affect us and that they because of the charter shouldn't deliver what they had promised I should demand that MSC paid for ALL my expenses for the trip. They let me change to another date.

Well it does look like they’re doing a little better on this cancel with the 10% off anything in the fleet. The previous obc offer I believe was $100 which I think they should stick with just because $25 sounds terrible.

If 10% and $100 is just too much for them perhaps something of an either or? 10% off any sailing or $300 obc on any sailing? That sounds meaningful to me.

If you’re going to cruise, odds are eventually one of your sailings will be canceled. Not just an Ncl thing so no sense bashing them as the only ones who do this.

I have been cruising for over 40 years and have never had a cruise cancelled. Not once. This is not commonplace.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I have been cruising for over 40 years and have never had a cruise cancelled. Not once. This is not commonplace.

Even more reason the cruise line should recognise how 'exceptional' this is and therefore how shocking and disruptive this news is to passengers, therefore offering a more palatable compensation.

Even more reason the cruise line should recognise how 'exceptional' this is and therefore how shocking and disruptive this news is to passengers, therefore offering a more palatable compensation.
Agreed. Hence, the passenger should be offered another similar cruise with at least $100 OBC per person or $200 OBC for a cabin

$25 OBC is not a compensation, it's a joke.

If they cancel a cruise only because it sells bad, they should be responsible for compensating their customers for all their expensies.

That's what I think should be fair but unfortunately that's not how it is.

If they offered another cruise from the same port, with the same length, for the same price and on the exact same dates it should be okay, I think.

You are completely right, it is not common place as probably, the average cancellation for any line is a couple a year, but it is also something that does happen. As you can see from comments here made by so many, it happens. I would say you have been very lucky, I have to as a mater of fact. I have only been on one that was cancelled and it was not NCL. It was HAL which is the line with the worst reputation for chartering out their ships.

$25 OBC is not a compensation, it's a joke.

If they cancel a cruise only because it sells bad, they should be responsible for compensating their customers for all their expensies.

That's what I think should be fair but unfortunately that's not how it is.

If they offered another cruise from the same port, with the same length, for the same price and on the exact same dates it should be okay, I think.

If a cruise doesn't sell, don't they crash the prices of the unsold cabins, instead of cancelling the entire cruise?

If a cruise doesn't sell, don't they crash the prices of the unsold cabins, instead of cancelling the entire cruise?

I don't know how it works and I don't have the facts but after reading the posts about the recent Jade and Sun cancellations it seems like the reason might be that NCL has changed the itineraries to be able to sell more expensive cruises. I don't know if the cancelled cruises hasn't sold well but maybe.

I said if it's cancelled because of that but I don't know if that's what happened now.

of course they do and let's remember these cancellations have, mostly been months out. No way can the cruise line know how well the ship will sell out. That is why we see suck a swing in pricing. Rates go up and they go down, pretty much supply and demand. Why would they just cancel a sailing and let the ship sit for a week or longer simply because of poor sales.

Several years ago, NCL leased a ship and sailed it out of Houston. I don't remember too many details about the ship, but is was older, did have nice cabins with bathtubs in every bathroom if I remember right. It had a pretty crappy itinerary except for Roaton. she was the first ship to sail into Roatan I believer. I don't think, the week we sailed she was even 1/2 full, but no, they did not cancel, BTW, we really enjoyed the ship except for the snotty wait person in Le Bistro and those were the days when I would never complain to anyone. Boy have i changed. :*

Be glad the cruise was cancelled months in advance. My NCL Cruise was cancelled Monday evening for a Saturday sailing.

We were cruising with 2 other couples and we had to scramble to find alternate vacation plans. We had chosen to sail out of NY to avoid airfare and ended up flying to Florida to get a ship on another line. Had to switch from a 10 night to a 7 night because that’s all that was available on such short notice. Also had to make sure there were flights available for all of us as well as hotel rooms. Somehow managed to pull it all together in 14 hours after being notified. But it was a lot of text messages between the 3 couples, frantic phone calls to travel agents and hours of internet searching.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums