PSA - Make Reservations ASAP - Norwegian Bliss

Skazel

Hi: To the cruiser who is thinking of cancelling his cruise on Bliss in 2019, I would do so asap. I am about to post my critique about the ship based on my recent cruise on it from July 14-21. There are many more criticisms than the many about the go carts. After several other cruises on other ships, I would never cruise on any NCL ship ever again. The Bliss's main goal was not to have happy passengers and great food and experiences.

It was to try and gouge you for everything (specialty restaurants, excursions,).We encountered sold out reservations before we had even

stepped on the ship. The thing they did best was make animals out of the towels after evening turndown. Of course we were all so aggravated (eg. people smoking on nearby balconies) that we barely slept. Try a better line--like Oceania. They attract a crowd who knows it is not an effort to put on a pair of chinos and a polo shirt for eating in the dining room. We had people wearing tank tops, short shorts, ripped jeans and hats--on. It is disgusting to eat in a beautiful room beside some guy's hairy legs and fat belly. And the drink packages encourage people to be drunk and loud all the time. Such a sickening example of the worst of behavior for my grandchildren. They may have a go cart track (dangerous) and a gigantic water slide (scary and dangerous,) but I want to cruise without the stress of running to make reservations the instant you get on board, or seeing both my son and grandson getting injured by some jerk on the go carts ride. Please change to another ship, another line. You won't regret it.

Thanks for your review.

You get what you pay for and NCL is not an all-inclusive line. It’s free style and it’s informal. You get the basics and you can add on extras as you like. Or not.

You appear not to be in the NCL demographic. So why did you choose NCL? I’m genuinely curious.

NCL fits my needs perfectly for a casual cruise experience, but I am looking at Oceania for a future planned cruise to mark a momentous life event.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It was to try and gouge you for everything (specialty restaurants, excursions,).

Those things are optional. You don't have to pay for them.

We encountered sold out reservations before we had even stepped on the ship.

Reservations opened months before the cruise and even more opened on embarkation day. The people who made reservations beat you to them. You snooze, you lose.

Of course we were all so aggravated (eg. people smoking on nearby balconies) that we barely slept.

What was NCL's response when you reported the balcony smokers?

Try a better line--like Oceania. They attract a crowd who knows it is not an effort to put on a pair of chinos and a polo shirt for eating in the dining room. We had people wearing tank tops, short shorts, ripped jeans and hats--on. It is disgusting to eat in a beautiful room beside some guy's hairy legs and fat belly.

Some things are allowed under NCL's dress code and other things are not. Shorts, hairy legs, and being fat/overweight are allowed.

And the drink packages encourage people to be drunk and loud all the time.

Not everyone with the UBP gets drunk and loud. Individuals (not the package) are responsible for their behavior.

Such a sickening example of the worst of behavior for my grandchildren.

There is no vacation that can guarantee the behavior of other guests. Your grandchildren might see a drunk person misbehaving on Regent Seven Seas.

They may have a go cart track (dangerous) and a gigantic water slide (scary and dangerous,) but I want to cruise without the stress of running to make reservations the instant you get on board, or seeing both my son and grandson getting injured by some jerk on the go carts ride.

If you feel that they are dangerous, don't do those activities. Problem solved.

There is no stress (usually) when making reservations from the comfort of your own home 120/130 days before the cruise.

Please change to another ship, another line. You won't regret it.

No matter what ship or line, there is no guarantee on the behavior of other guests. For ex., there are fights on Disney, RCCL, Carnival, NCL, etc.

• Like 2

Those things are optional. You don't have to pay for them.

Reservations opened months before the cruise and even more opened on embarkation day. The people who made reservations beat you to them. You snooze, you lose.

What was NCL's response when you reported the balcony smokers?

Some things are allowed under NCL's dress code and other things are not. Shorts, hairy legs, and being fat/overweight are allowed.

Not everyone with the UBP gets drunk and loud. Individuals (not the package) are responsible for their behavior.

There is no vacation that can guarantee the behavior of other guests. Your grandchildren might see a drunk person misbehaving on Regent Seven Seas.

If you feel that they are dangerous, don't do those activities. Problem solved.

There is no stress (usually) when making reservations from the comfort of your own home 120/130 days before the cruise.

No matter what ship or line, there is no guarantee on the behavior of other guests. For ex., there are fights on Disney, RCCL, Carnival, NCL, etc.

I truly wish there was a like button for posts! Thank you Two Wheels Only for your comments. I will be on Bliss in December and am looking forward to my first experience with NCL.

That is one review I am not looking forward to reading, but since it's about the Bliss I will and will take everything with a grain (or two) of salt.

Two Wheels, ditto to all you said in regards to NCL. My family will be cruising NCL for our 2nd time on the Bliss in a couple weeks, and we cannot wait. Our children are 8 and 10. We sailed on the Escape 2 yrs ago and loved her. Why? Because of the Freestyle cruising NCL offers. My husband and I cruised Royal Caribbean in the past, and enjoyed it...however, our children did well with NCL and we all loved the fact that we could eat in a main dining room each evening without dressing up. We dress up for work each day, so going to dinner in jeans and a nice tshirt shirt for my husband, or a pair of capris and a nice tee for my daughter and I are a welc:rolleyes:omed break. Additionally, the less we need to pack, as we are always flying to our port city, the easier and better.

As they say in my country-"chacun a son gout"--each to his own taste. As to the question about smokers and what Bliss staff did about it--1st time they came, look around on a deck about ours and left. 2nd time, I called and they said they would come. I waited an hour and they didn't come.

Re why did I book Bliss: I booked it because I was travelling with 3 kids. My cruise agent told me about all these activities that I knew my grandchildren would love. What they didn't say is: there are weight and height restrictions on the go karts and the large water slide. You could have a zillion reservations, and if the kids can't meet the

restrictions, it is a no go. Can you imagine the disappointment? Also, we were not told that there was an unlimited access pass (per day or per week) that was available for the go karts. Perhaps it is a good thing, because 2 out of the 3 kids were not tall enough to drive the karts and all three weighed too little for the slide. My son, a grown man, took my grandson's place on the slide and found it terrifying. And, as a person with professional race car training, he is certain there is going to be a horrific injury and/or a fatality on the track very soon.

As for specialty restaurants--is everyone on the Bliss so wealthy that they can afford to pay twice for dinner. You have already paid once in your fare. And then you pay and tip again in a different restaurant. On the so called "luxury" ships, the only payment in a specialty restaurant is a tip for your server. And, if you want to have a drink in your stateroom, bring your liquor of choice aboard in your luggage. Your cabin steward will even bring you mixes. You can drink your own booze in your cabin and drink your own wine at dinner. The only charge is a modest one for corkage.

As for excursions, I book my own private ones. They are 1/2 the price and twice as good as the ship ones. I have never been even close to missing a ship. Do you really think the tour company would allow that to happen? It just requires some research and reading Cruise Critic or Trip Advisor.

As for dress--if it is such a big deal to put on a pair of khakis and a polo shirt, or a pair of capris and a nice top, then I think you should stay in your backyard in your grubby shorts and t-shirts and spare me the sight of your hairy legs and fat bellies. And be sure to have a few beers while you're there.

As for dress--if it is such a big deal to put on a pair of khakis and a polo shirt, or a pair of capris and a nice top, then I think you should stay in your backyard in your grubby shorts and t-shirts and spare me the sight of your hairy legs and fat bellies. And be sure to have a few beers while you're there.

Perhaps if you focused a little bit more on the fact that you are spending quality time with your family instead of wasting valuable time nitpicking others for what they chose to wear for dinner on vacation, you might find that you have a much better time.

I think you perhaps chose the wrong cruise line.

It's not a big deal at all however i like wearing shorts. I've got the legs for them [emoji3]

Given your views I'm wondering if you are Hyacinth Bucket. Are you?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Funny, but no one commented about how stupid it is to pay twice for dinner the same night. (The one you pay to eat in the specialty rooms and the wonderful "included" ones in the regulardining rooms that you missed.

Or that you have a buy a UDP rather than bringing your own booze and wine aboard with you. Or how about the awful water, when you get as much bottled SPRING water in your cabin as you want on a good ship--rather than having to pay for filtered water--which is just swill.

And as for dress, is that what a vacation means to you--being able to wear shorts. Then I think you should look for a ship that has several fast food restaurants on them

and you'll fit in beautifully.

Why don't you add up all the dinners you paid for, all the drinks you paid for, all the water you paid for--and-- I forgot your flights. Your mandatory tipping and not getting free transfers from the ship. Problem is everyone thinks a line like Regent, Azamara and Oceania are expensive. Truth is they probably work out to be less than the tubs run by NCL. Too bad you don't know what you are missing. Try it, you'll really like it.

Funny, but no one commented about how stupid it is to pay twice for dinner the same night. (The one you pay to eat in the specialty rooms and the wonderful "included" ones in the regulardining rooms that you missed.

What type of reservation did you want to make?

If you wanted a reservation in the MDR, you should be happy that many people dine in the specialty restaurants. They make it easier to dine in the MDR.

If you wanted a reservation in a specialty restaurant, you're no different than the other people who "pay twice".

Some use their SDP promo to pay for their specialty meal. Some use their OBC. Some use OBC to buy a SDP.

Or that you have a buy a UDP rather than bringing your own booze and wine aboard with you.
Avoiding the "..buy a UBP.." part, if people could bring their own alcohol, do you think that there would be more or fewer drunks on the ship?

Or how about the awful water, when you get as much bottled SPRING water in your cabin as you want on a good ship--rather than having to pay for filtered water--which is just swill.
Not everyone drinks bottled water no matter what tap it came from.

And as for dress, is that what a vacation means to you--being able to wear shorts. Then I think you should look for a ship that has several fast food restaurants on them and you'll fit in beautifully.
NCL allows shorts in nearly every restaurant. If you wanted a cruise where long pants are required, you should have done more research.

Why don't you add up all the dinners you paid for, all the drinks you paid for, all the water you paid for--and-- I forgot your flights. Your mandatory tipping and not getting free transfers from the ship. Problem is everyone thinks a line like Regent, Azamara and Oceania are expensive. Truth is they probably work out to be less than the tubs run by NCL.
NCL has more in common with Oceania and Regent Seven Seas than you might realize. The Haven beds on Bliss are actually a design that was created for Oceania and the plates in the Haven restaurant are the same model as those used on Regent Seven Seas Explorer (different colors, though). Maybe the Haven on Bliss would have been better for you...but shorts are allowed in the Haven restaurant for all 3 meals.

Too bad you don't know what you are missing. Try it, you'll really like it.
I doubt that I would enjoy sitting around reminiscing about the Truman administration and playing mahjong until bedtime (8pm?) but thanks for the suggestion.

At least Bliss has a kids' Aqua Park for your grandkids. Those other lines....not so much.

Or that you have a buy a UDP rather than bringing your own booze and wine aboard with you. Or how about the awful water, when you get as much bottled SPRING water in your cabin as you want on a good ship--rather than having to pay for filtered water--which is just swill.

And as for dress, is that what a vacation means to you--being able to wear shorts. Then I think you should look for a ship that has several fast food restaurants on them

and you'll fit in beautifully.

Why don't you add up all the dinners you paid for, all the drinks you paid for, all the water you paid for--and-- I forgot your flights. Your mandatory tipping and not getting free transfers from the ship. Problem is everyone thinks a line like Regent, Azamara and Oceania are expensive. Truth is they probably work out to be less than the tubs run by NCL. Too bad you don't know what you are missing. Try it, you'll really like it.

My last NCL cruise i wore shorts every day, had a great time and had 0 bill at the end. Paid twice for nothing and got cheap flights UK to Barcelona. Overall cost was great value.

And i went on the big boys slides without being terrified. Maybe I'll be up for the go kart challenge when i sale Bliss later in the year.

And thanks to the OP I've now made all the reservations i want to before i get on the ship. If you're not fast, you're last! [emoji3]

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

As they say in my country-"chacun a son gout"--each to his own taste. As to the question about smokers and what Bliss staff did about it--1st time they came, look around on a deck about ours and left. 2nd time, I called and they said they would come. I waited an hour and they didn't come.

Re why did I book Bliss: I booked it because I was travelling with 3 kids. My cruise agent told me about all these activities that I knew my grandchildren would love. What they didn't say is: there are weight and height restrictions on the go karts and the large water slide. You could have a zillion reservations, and if the kids can't meet the

restrictions, it is a no go. Can you imagine the disappointment? Also, we were not told that there was an unlimited access pass (per day or per week) that was available for the go karts. Perhaps it is a good thing, because 2 out of the 3 kids were not tall enough to drive the karts and all three weighed too little for the slide. My son, a grown man, took my grandson's place on the slide and found it terrifying. And, as a person with professional race car training, he is certain there is going to be a horrific injury and/or a fatality on the track very soon.

As for specialty restaurants--is everyone on the Bliss so wealthy that they can afford to pay twice for dinner. You have already paid once in your fare. And then you pay and tip again in a different restaurant. On the so called "luxury" ships, the only payment in a specialty restaurant is a tip for your server. And, if you want to have a drink in your stateroom, bring your liquor of choice aboard in your luggage. Your cabin steward will even bring you mixes. You can drink your own booze in your cabin and drink your own wine at dinner. The only charge is a modest one for corkage.

As for excursions, I book my own private ones. They are 1/2 the price and twice as good as the ship ones. I have never been even close to missing a ship. Do you really think the tour company would allow that to happen? It just requires some research and reading Cruise Critic or Trip Advisor.

I’m sorry your adult son was terrified of the water slide. My older kids loved it, my younger kids were under 100 pounds, but knew ahead of time they couldn’t use it, I actually researched what I was buying. I’m sorry your cruise was impacted by the casual dress code, although it’s pretty common knowledge that NCL is pretty much the most casual of the mainstream cruise lines (none of which provide free excursions or allow you to bring on booze, or have free specialty restaurants). Next time, maybe book the vacation you want (although I suspect the grandkids will be bored to tears, unless maybe they take after their frightened father).

If there is something you absolutely want to do, yes make reservations as early as possible. If something is sold out online before you board though that doesn't mean you won't be able to do it. They don't always book 100% of available spots before you board.

Yes, you are correct, they only open a portion of the available reservations before embarkation. However, on the Bliss, it has seemed to be a constant negative that everything became booked by mid day of embarkation for the whole cruise....so that's a big risk if you really want to do something or eat at a specific specialty restaurant! Calling in and talking to an NCL rep helped us get all the advance reservations we needed (even when they were not available on line to book)!!

Yes, you are correct, they only open a portion of the available reservations before embarkation. However, on the Bliss, it has seemed to be a constant negative that everything became booked by mid day of embarkation for the whole cruise....so that's a big risk if you really want to do something or eat at a specific specialty restaurant! Calling in and talking to an NCL rep helped us get all the advance reservations we needed (even when they were not available on line to book)!!

I wish I would have thought to call my NCL rep. Ocean Blue and Cagneys were both sold out a month ago ( for 2 people reservations) when I started to make my dinner reservations and I thought that I was making reservations early for my 8/18 Alaska trip. Settled on Teppanyaki (did it before on Breakaway and enjoyed it) and La Cucina and Los Lobos ( 1st time for both). I'm pissed that I waited too late for Ocean Blue and Cagneys. Won't make that mistake again!

Specialty dining, main dining, Havana, and Jersey Boys can all be reserved 120 days in advance online or through the app.

It is true that if you try to make dinner reservations on the same night that you have reserved for Havana or Jersey Boys that it will say you have a scheduling conflict. Plan accordingly.

Yes, the Go-Karts, laser tag, and comedy all book up fast. So find a screen as soon as you can.

This is not something new for cruises, just plan accordingly and you will have a much better experience.

Which app are you referring to, NCL or Shipmate?

BirdTravels, can you please tell me what deck is used to embark on? My brother and I want to make Kart reservations as soon as we get on board however, we'll have my 87 yo dad (mobility issues) with us and want to try and get him seated and settled somewhere so we can run to get signed up.:o

I would appreciate any advice you could give.

You will board on deck 7. Go to the right (front of ship) for the box office. I personally went to the Q on the 6th floor again to the right to the stairs, go down stairs, take a left and enter the Q Computers will be set up to make reservations for dining, laser tag, race track and comedy. We already had play reservations...

Specialty dining, main dining, Havana, and Jersey Boys can all be reserved 120 days in advance online or through the app.

It is true that if you try to make dinner reservations on the same night that you have reserved for Havana or Jersey Boys that it will say you have a scheduling conflict. Plan accordingly.

Even an early dinner reservation at 5:30 and a late show reservation, say 8:30, it won't let you book? I'm accostum to making show reservations and then dining on RCCL and a 2 hr dinner window but seems weird to be shut out the whole night.

Good Advice! My sister just got off the Bliss last Saturday, they did not plan ahead. By the time they were onboard, 11:30a.m., gokarts, laser tag, Jersey Boys and most of the excursions they had been looking at were already fully booked. It was their first time on a 4,000 passenger ship, lesson learned.

I am booked on the Bliss for 9/22-29, and just an fyi if you book Teppanyaki for the 5:30 seating you will not be able to book the 7:30 show for Jersey Boys online. It's billed as a 2hr dining experience ending at 7:30pm and the computer says you have a conflict with another item scheduled for that time. We'll need to hurry once onboard to get our theater tickets!

You should call and have them take care of it now to save you the hassle.

I wish I would have thought to call my NCL rep. Ocean Blue and Cagneys were both sold out a month ago ( for 2 people reservations) when I started to make my dinner reservations and I thought that I was making reservations early for my 8/18 Alaska trip. Settled on Teppanyaki (did it before on Breakaway and enjoyed it) and La Cucina and Los Lobos ( 1st time for both). I'm pissed that I waited too late for Ocean Blue and Cagneys. Won't make that mistake again!

I made reservations today and the phone rep told me to book for 3 or 4 even if it’s only 2. It was the only way I could get into ocean blue and Cagney’s. I was able to get some 5:30 pm dinner reservations and 7:30 show times by playing around with the ncl app. It’s a bit tricky and took many tries. It would sometimes say Cagney’s not available but then click on Cagney’s and it gave me times. Phone rep today could not book but after holding for 30 mins she was at least able to cancel my mdr ressies so I had the times freed up. I was then able to jockey around between laptop on my Ncl, and phone app I downloaded for Bliss, and get all 7 nights speciality dinners for September sailing. Getting Disney dining ressies on Christmas at be our guest is an easier task!

I know the up charges are pricey but I figured if we’re going finally try a mega ship may as well get what we want. Given the Bliss Alaska price of non Haven, It makes no sense stopping a few hundred shy for some add ons that can make or break our vacation.

From the reviews I’ve read, it seems like you can have an airport type of vacation, standing in long lines for ok food, crowded venues... or plan/schedule ahead and pay a few hundred more in add ons for a good vacation. Of course you can pay 2k a night more for a Haven experience but that’s just not worth it for me.

I purchased a dining pkg for husband and a fewer night package for me. For some venues I figure he can get whatever and I can order off the menu a la carte for less than the package price in a couple venues. I’m not crazy about lack of freestyle and service fees on top of service fees....but that’s the structure. The spa passes were $249 pp. I figure the add ons will make a big difference in my vacation enjoyment. I debated a Haven bid (many left) but I think I’d rather have some great speciality food, a few room service fees, great entertainment, spa ... for a fraction of the upgrade minimum bids that would likely not come through anyways.

The vibe pass might be overkill and for Alaska pointless, but I’m thinking about getting those too just in case the mega ship experience is not our thing.

You will board on deck 7. Go to the right (front of ship) for the box office. I personally went to the Q on the 6th floor again to the right to the stairs, go down stairs, take a left and enter the Q Computers will be set up to make reservations for dining, laser tag, race track and comedy. We already had play reservations...

Thank you for this info, it's very helpful. I'll make sure to make a note of your directions and do this on embarkation day, Thanks! :)

I just got this reply from my NCL Casino at Sea host with regards to getting dinner reservations that are currently booked . “For the onboard dining, what I would recommend is when you get onboard, please go directly do the hostess outside of each restaurant, before you go to the buffet or your room or to explore the ship. They will be able to book you based on what’s left at that time. They pre-book 70% and save the other 30% for onboard. I do not have any additional inventory than that that you see online.”

Call me encouraged !

• 10 months later...

Other then Jersey Boys & Havana .. what other shows should I or could I make reservations 120 days out ?  We are on a 13 day Bliss cruise .. so I am thinking dinner reservations won't be a big deal getting in at least 1 time during the trip.   

51 minutes ago, thunter1224 said:

Other then Jersey Boys & Havana .. what other shows should I or could I make reservations 120 days out ?  We are on a 13 day Bliss cruise .. so I am thinking dinner reservations won't be a big deal getting in at least 1 time during the trip.   

Those are the only shows you can book in advance.  Once onboard, you can make reservations for the comedy shows or the upcharge Happy Hour: Prohibition show.  If you know when you want to go to the shows or restaurants, there's no harm in booking them in advance.  If you can't get the time you want, just wait until you board and there should be plenty of availability.

• Like 1

On 7/29/2018 at 4:35 PM, CruiseJB said:

I truly wish there was a like button for posts! Thank you Two Wheels Only for your comments. I will be on Bliss in December and am looking forward to my first experience with NCL.

That is one review I am not looking forward to reading, but since it's about the Bliss I will and will take everything with a grain (or two) of salt.

See the little heart in the lower right corner of every post post? That is your "like" button! Just click on the heart and you will see your reaction choices.