So Many Questions

charlielinda

We are loyal Celebrity cruisers and I know all the ins and outs. Today we decided to take a last minute cruise on the Caribbean Princess in September. I have some questions and know that someone can guide me.

Are you allowed to bring a bottle or two of wine aboard?

Are you allowed to bring soda/water aboard?

Are there specialty dining packages available?

How much are the specialty dining restaurants generally.

If you have anything you feel we should know about Princess we’d love to hear your tips.

We’re looking forward to a new experience!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We are loyal Celebrity cruisers and I know all the ins and outs. Today we decided to take a last minute cruise on the Caribbean Princess in September. I have some questions and know that someone can guide me.

Are you allowed to bring a bottle or two of wine aboard? Yes one 750ml bottle per adult .

Are you allowed to bring soda/water aboard? Water no problem or you can pre purchase online ahead of time.

Are there specialty dining packages available? Not that I know off

How much are the specialty dining restaurants generally. Around $25 dollars

If you have anything you feel we should know about Princess we’d love to hear your tips. Visit the international Cafe for brewed coffee and lattes/ You can buy a coffee card with unlimited brewed coffeef, 15 specialty coffes and fancy tea.

See my comments above

You can bring one bottle of wine for each adult 21 or older. This is at no charge unless you bring it to the dining room where there will be a $15 corkage fee.

Any additional bottles will incur a $15 corkage fee at the gangway. These bottles can be consumed in the dining room or in your cabin with no additional charge.

No limit on bringing water and soda on board.

I think specialty restaurants are about $29 per person.

If you have anything you feel we should know about Princess we’d love to hear your tips.

I see your wine question has been answered. Princess is much more liberal than Celebrity in terms of taking wine and champagne onboard. $15 corkage is quite reasonable, actually. You won't find as good a wine selection onboard Princess, at least not in my experience, so taking our own is the way to go.

The specialty restaurants range from $25 (Sabatini's) to $29 (Crown Grill) and think there might be another one called Share and there is also the Crab Shack on some ships. They are all about in that same price range and no (or very few) packages are available ahead of time or onboard such as you can find on Celebrity. We love the Crown Grill ... it isn't quite the same as Murano, which is a lot more elegant but still a solid choice for a nice specialty dinner.

Princess still has formal evenings but people dress much like they do for evening chic on Celebrity.

You can stack your saving opportunities on Princess, so if you've been in the military or have stock in CCL (Carnival Cruiselines) be sure to notify them ahead of time so you can get some extra onboard credit on your folio.

Try to get to the theater ahead of time for shows you are interested in seeing. The theater, and the lounges for that matter, are way too small for the number of people that attend these shows. It's easy to get skunked out of a seat if you go in a little too late.

I have read that there are 2 restaurants on Caribbean Princess located close to the buffet called Steamers and Planks. Steamers does mussels, clams and a steam pot while Planks is a BBQ place. I believe the cost is around $12 per person. Don't quote me on cost, could be more, not sure. I am doing the CB in August and have been looking for information too. I love this site. I feel like I learn something everyday.

For those who offered information thank you so much. And, yes I know I could spend time looking through all the posts but was excited because we just booked our first Princess cruise. If I offended you I'm sorry but never imagined someone would take the time to write a snippy response. In fact my husband just asked if we were making a mistake with cruising with Princess if this is the an example of Princess cruisers. That's not what we had understand from friends but certainly makes me wonder.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The area that becomes Planks and Steamers at night (aft end of the buffet seating) is available at no charge for breakfast and lunch with better food than the main buffet. I think this is unique to the Caribbean Princess.

Afternoon tea on Princess is at no additional charge. It is not nearly as fancy as Celebrity, but it isn't $25 either. If you just want scones, they'll appear at the buffet at about the same time. No reservations needed, just show up at the dining room listed in the Patter. They will offer coffee and lipton tea; you can request other teas.

If your TA gives you a coupon book, you can get a buy one, get one free coupon for the Crown Grill on the first night of the cruise. There may be one or two other worthwhile coupons in the book, but most are junk. Normal price is $29 pp.

If you haven't already booked, have someone do a "refer a friend" referral for you. Each referred person will get $25 OBC on their first cruise and the person making the referral will get $25 per referral if you cruise within 2 years. This MUST be done before you book, do a Bon Voyage Experience, or otherwise pay Princess for anything that generates a Captain's Club number. The referral process takes virtually no time on line. It is OK to have places a hold on a booking, you just can't have completed it! There was a thread yesterday on all available OBC--shareholders, veterans, etc. There are lots of ways to get some OBC on Princess.

The internet on the Caribbean Princess in April was bad--very slow. They did have the upgraded TV system.

Princess cruisers, in my experience, are quite decent people. We aren't travel agents or research assistants. While I've read otherwise, based on my cruises, Princess tends to be a bit of a younger crowd than Celebrity...but in September you won't see families with kids. Again, that could be just our experience, but we had a much older crowd on Celebrity.

Don't....well, I'd tell you to not give up a table or chair in the IC area to the ladies who think they own the tables for their knitting or card clubs. If you need a pool chair, take it. Don't "respect" the fools who appear at 8am and put a single flip flop on each of 4 chairs. If a chair hasn't been occupied for a period of time, it is available!

There are things we like better on Princess and things we prefer on Celebrity. Overall, we give a nod to Princess.

Edited by moki'smommy

For those who offered information thank you so much. And, yes I know I could spend time looking through all the posts but was excited because we just booked our first Princess cruise. If I offended you I'm sorry but never imagined someone would take the time to write a snippy response. In fact my husband just asked if we were making a mistake with cruising with Princess if this is the an example of Princess cruisers. That's not what we had understand from friends but certainly makes me wonder.

Nah, don't worry about it. Some folks on these boards have kind of setup house. You know what I mean. "You live under my roof, you play by my rules". :D:D

By the way, the Caribbean Princess specialty restaurant prices are Crown Grill (Steaks, Chops and some seafood) is $29. Sabatini Trattoria is $25. Steamers (shellfish and occupies a section of the buffet) is $12. Finally, Planks (BBQ and occupies a different part of the buffet) is also $12.

Enjoy your cruise and welcome to Princess.

Here are some answers to questions you did not ask.

If you are ex-military you can get the military OBC benefit. Google Princess Military Benefit to get the details and how to apply. Once you register it is automatic on future Princess cruises. The benefit is per person up to two per cabin, so if both vets, both get the OBC.

If you own Carnival Corp. stock in any account you can get the Stockholder's benefit OBC. Google Carnival Stockholder's benefit for details.

OBC on Princess is stackable.

All shows are walk in, but if you want to go to the mid evening show, around 8pm, you have to arrive at least 30 mins. early, and for Bravo about 45 mins. early. Bravo is a great show.

Pub Lunch is nice and free.

We enjoyed the expanded selections at the Salty Dog Grill and Slices Pizza.

International Cafe is open 24/7, we enjoy it, a nice choice for lunch or an extra dessert.

Vines has a nice selection of wines by the glass.

We were on the Caribbean in February of this year. Felt the ship was very well run and staff was great.

Crooner's Lounge, think piano entertainer, is very popular. Usually the entertainment begins at 9pm. Some entertainers are better than others.

Don't pay any attention to the snarky responses on this site. Staff and passengers on board are always nice.

I have read that there are 2 restaurants on Caribbean Princess located close to the buffet called Steamers and Planks. Steamers does mussels, clams and a steam pot while Planks is a BBQ place. I believe the cost is around $12 per person. Don't quote me on cost, could be more, not sure. I am doing the CB in August and have been looking for information too. I love this site. I feel like I learn something everyday.

Don't forget...Planks also does breakfast (I think) and lunch and they're free.

The ice cream stand on Lido deck has free soft serve ice cream (cones or cups) and some new offerings that cost $$.

If you go to the Crown Grill and one of the selections (salad, soup) is not to your taste, it's been reported here that you can request something from the MDR as a replacement.

Tips in the specialty restaurants are not mandatory, but nice if the service is great.

There are 2 Adult Only pools...aft Terrace Pool and forward (below the $ Sanctuary) is the Lotus Pool. The Lotus Pool is often very empty because new cruisers on Princess think it's part of the Sanctuary...it's not.

The kid's menu is available for adults. If you don't see anything that appeals on the MDR menu, ask for the Kid's menu. Many report that the Volcano dessert is delicious. DH loves the spaghetti and meatballs.

Pool towels aren't usually in the cabin ('tho they used to be). You'll find them at each pool. No cost to grab.

If you're "plus size" (I mean REALLY plus size) and can't get in the shower comfortably, there are roomy showers attached to the Lotus Spa that are no cost. Lockers are there for your clothes.

Don’t worry about the occasional snarky poster. Even I sometimes answer that people should pull up the cruise line website and check for themselves - and that isn’t meant to be snarky but rather to make sure they get accurate answers. While these boards are very helpful there can be misinformation.

I think you will find Princess to be classic yet relaxed and relaxing.

Here are some more...

Cabins are generally ready when you board. Even if it's not ready, you can drop off your carry-ons unless the hall doors are closed with a "keep out" sign. That usually happens on the Regal/Royal (maybe because they're bigger.

Lunch is usually available in a MDR as well as the zoo in the buffet. It's from 11 to 1:30. If you get on early enough, run to your cabin, drop off your carry-ons and check the back page of the Patter for which MDR is open (usually the one on deck 6?).

Someone just posted AGAIN asking the question about the email you'll get shortly before the cruise listing the boarding times by deck. FEEL FREE TO IGNORE THIS. It isn't mandatory. Show up when you want to.

We have always had pool towels in our cabin when we checked in and they are replaced after each use, has something changed recently ?

We've never had pool towels in our room. There are plenty of the blue and white pool towels at the pool areas. You can return them to the bins or take them to your room (I sometimes wrap one around my waist). If left on the bathroom floor, they were removed but not replaced. This would apply to all or our Princess cruises...most recent was April, 2018.

We used to sail Princess often but have mostly gone with Celebrity in recent years. After an outstanding British Isles cruise on the Caribbean Princess in 2016, we have booked the Regal for February. We love Celebrity but it does get a little repetitive if you sail them over and over. The CB is an older ship, so may look a little dated compared to Celebrity's S class, but is generally well maintained. There are some things we prefer on Princess:

1) Fewer specialty restaurants but we have enjoyed them and they are less expensive than Celebrity.

2) Entertainment is better and more extensive, at least in our opinion!

3) Movies under the Stars is a lovely experience on a nice evening --- blankets, popcorn, the stars overhead. Very nice.

4) We love the International Cafe in the atrium --- you can get sweets here and also a nice variety of savory snacks such as salads, soups, small sandwiches. It's quite pleasant to sit there with a snack and enjoy the entertainment or just people watch. Perfect after returning from port when you want a snack but not a big meal.

5) Princess traditionally offered a pasta course at dinner and it's still available. Every night will have Fettucine Alfredo and a special of the day, available as either one of your appetizers or as a full dinner portion. Delicious.

6) I know some don't agree with this but I like the availability of laundramat on every deck. There are irons there, which you can't get on Celebrity, and the chance to throw in a load of clothes

Overall we find the two lines a lot alike. I think you'll enjoy it.

If you follow the post below, there are a few good to know tidbits on cruising with Princess. Just beware, there is a lot of fluff also. You should be able to click on the small arrow and it will take you to the post withing the thread.

Well, it seems like time to start a new Princess "Secrets" thread. I realize that some of the "secrets" might be repetitious, but some information does change, and people new to Princess might miss information in older threads. I just want to keep the conversation going.

We've been on the Caribbean Princess(CB) twice this year (April 1 and June 30). Princess used to have passengers wait in the terminal and not allow boarding until cabins were ready. On both of our last cruises we started boarding before 11:00 but weren't allowed into the cabins until 1:00 ish. We just found ourselves a comfortable place to sit (Aft Lido deck). If you decide to eat at Planks or Steamers ($12 cover for either) you can order off either menu (I had bbq and my DH had seafood) - I felt it was too much food. I've felt that the number of books in the libraries on Princess have been shrinking, but in June the CB had multiple copies of 8-10 of the Princess book club book selections. I would suggest getting there early in the cruise for the best selection.

But whatever you do - enjoy!

If you used a TA, you should get a coupon book with a BOGO for the Crown Grill for Embarkation night only. ;p

This has to be sent by your TA as a promotion. It is not an automatic "because you used a TA." We always use a TA, and have not gotten to coupons book on our last 4 cruises...still, I understand there are maybe 2 worthwhile coupons in it, one being the Crown Grill BOGO.

no reason to get all offended.

Also, this information could have been easily found on www.princess.com. Without any snippy replies. :)

I have to say, I have seen plenty of snarky responses over on the Celebrity boards too ! Overall, I think the atmosphere on Princess is a little warmer, a little livelier than Celebrity which tends to be on the elegant but sedate side. Tell your husband not to worry.

One other thing I forget to mention as a Princess plus is the Wheelhouse Bar, and Caribbean Princess has a particularly nice one. This is a bar and lounge which celebrates the nautical history of Princess and P&O cruises. It has a dark mahogany decor, plenty of leather couches and chairs, and paintings and models of former ships in the fleet. We love it there. Celebrity doesn't have anything similar.

Pub lunch was mentioned above, and it's unique to Princess. It's held on one of the sea days, in the Crown Grill I believe, and it's free. There is a small selection of British staples --- fish and chips, bangers and mash, maybe Shepherd's pie,bread and butter pudding. It's a nice alternative to the usual lunch offerings.