Oceania vs. Celebrity suites

islandchick

4 minutes ago, Punam said:

What throws me off is that I'm used to Celeb's Luminae which isn't a large MDR and is actually the main reason we like it. The food... meh. But it's nice to have a quieter place. Their MDR is noisy and after a day of touring we'd like a quietter spot for dinner. So I think that's why I'm asking.

Another question (are you tired of me yet? :classic_biggrin:) ... re entertainment. I enjoy the evening shows on Celeb. It's just a fun hour even though sometimes it's overdone and tries too hard to be Vegas. But I do like something to do in the evening. Oceania has a reputation for being iffy in this departement, and I know it's subjective, but - your opinion please?

well since the shows are usually standing room only I guess some people  like them

It is something to do in the evening 

some evening we will just sit & chat with other  or go for a walk on the pool deck

There is  no private dining  except in your cabin depening on the cat you are booking you can have the Butler serve you course by course 

Never been on X  so not sure the size of the cabins you are used to but is sounds like you may need to book a PH or higher

Maybe take one of the short cruises  to give Oceania a try

3 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

well since the shows are usually standing room only I guess some people  like them

It is something to do in the evening 

some evening we will just sit & chat with other  or go for a walk on the pool deck

There is  no private dining  except in your cabin depening on the cat you are booking you can have the Butler serve you course by course 

Never been on X  so not sure the size of the cabins you are used to but is sounds like you may need to book a PH or higher

Maybe take one of the short cruises  to give Oceania a try

Standing room only because the theatre is small, or...? I'm glad to hear the shows appeal. Agreed, it's something to do. Sky suites are only about 275 sq ft, but the layout is better than what I see on Marina. The Celeb suite is 400 sq ft and frankly, more room than we need since we're off the ship every day in port.

23 minutes ago, Punam said:

Nice! Larger ships, or about the same as O? I'm watching Celeberity ruin what we used to enjoy and doing it at a fast pace with Edge, so I'm hoping Oceania stays the course so to speak 🙂

From what I have read they are about the same size physically but with 50 or so fewer passengers.  Look for the thread on the new ships ...https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2621167-new-‘allura’-class-ships/

Mura

• Like 1

Standing room only because the theatre is small, or...? I'm glad to hear the shows appeal. Agreed, it's something to do. Sky suites are only about 275 sq ft, but the layout is better than what I see on Marina. The Celeb suite is 400 sq ft and frankly, more room than we need since we're off the ship every day in port.

We don't often go to the shows.  (My husband tends to go more than I do, I'm usually ready to relax in the room after dinner.)  But it does seem to depend on the cruise.  We have seen some excellent shows, some enjoyable but not spectacular shows, and sometimes we walk out in the middle.

For the record, we are classical musicians ourselves so it can depend on what is scheduled!  On the "R" ships the stage is so small it's hard for the dancers and the like to really have room to move around.  If the entertainment is one musician/singer or a small group, it's rather different.  The stage area is larger on the "O" ships although many people  complain about the "theater" style seating.  (OTOH, the seating set-up on the "R" ships can make it hard to see anything!)  We usually opt for seats at the back of the room where we can be above everyone's heads.  Since we usually enter as the show is about to start that is often our only choice anyway.

Mura

19 minutes ago, Punam said:

I believe the smaller ships hold 200 in the theater   it is more caberet style seating

the larger ships have a lot more seating

of course  not everyone goes to the shows  so they do not hold everyone onboard

some photos of the Riviera

https://www.cruisecritic.com/photos/ships/riviera-607/

as for cabins 

it is  a personal choice 

some prefer the PH with more space & a butler

some like the insides

enjoy whatever cruise you choose

22 minutes ago, Mura said:

We don't often go to the shows.  (My husband tends to go more than I do, I'm usually ready to relax in the room after dinner.)  But it does seem to depend on the cruise.  We have seen some excellent shows, some enjoyable but not spectacular shows, and sometimes we walk out in the middle.

For the record, we are classical musicians ourselves so it can depend on what is scheduled!  On the "R" ships the stage is so small it's hard for the dancers and the like to really have room to move around.  If the entertainment is one musician/singer or a small group, it's rather different.  The stage area is larger on the "O" ships although many people  complain about the "theater" style seating.  (OTOH, the seating set-up on the "R" ships can make it hard to see anything!)  We usually opt for seats at the back of the room where we can be above everyone's heads.  Since we usually enter as the show is about to start that is often our only choice anyway.

Mura

23 minutes ago, Mura said:

Mura

Can't please everyone, I know. Thanks for your observations.  It helps a lot.

12 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

I believe the smaller ships hold 200 in the theater   it is more caberet style seating

the larger ships have a lot more seating

of course  not everyone goes to the shows  so they do not hold everyone onboard

some photos of the Riviera

https://www.cruisecritic.com/photos/ships/riviera-607/

as for cabins 

it is  a personal choice 

some prefer the PH with more space & a butler

some like the insides

enjoy whatever cruise you choose

Snall theater, but really depends on how many people show up. I don't mind the back row 🙂 Thanks for the link! 

1 hour ago, Mura said:

So far I haven't seen an abbreviation for the two new ships that have been ordered and won't be available for a few years (2023?).  Maybe they'll the the "A" ships?

Mura

If they follow the regular method most cruise line do they should be referred to as the Allura Class. So they will probably be called the A ships. 

Edited by ORV
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, ORV said:

If they follow the regular method most cruise line do they should be referred to as the Allura Class. So they will probably be called the A class. 

+1

FDR has already spoken of them, thus:

"We are excited to expand the Oceania Cruises fleet with our new Allura class ships to meet the strong demand for upscale culinary - and destination-focused cruise vacations around the globe,” said Frank Del Rio, president and CEO of Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings Ltd, the parent company of Oceania Cruises."

Food is subjective. We just got off the Reflection. Food was ok.  In November, we were on Oceania Marina.  Both cruises were 14 days.  Oceania has the best food.  All of Oceania's food venues are excellent.  Buffet is a class act.  Buffet has excellent choices, tasty food, and great service. Never a wait or problem finding a table.  The MDR is open for all meals including lunch on port days.  Oceania does not have separated dining rooms by class of cabin.  They treat all guests well.

• Like 1

On 7/25/2018 at 6:38 AM, Cruise Junky said:

Not really true on Celebrity. Suites have their own private restaurant and their own private lounge where free drinks flow all day. And on the soon to be launched Edge, they'll have their own private outdoor deck with pool.

That would bother me... putting myself on such a pedestal...... safe behind closed doors...ambivalent to the rest of the world. I dont feel a need that bad.

2 hours ago, Hawaiidan said:

That would bother me... putting myself on such a pedestal...... safe behind closed doors...ambivalent to the rest of the world. I dont feel a need that bad.

My post wasn’t about your feelings. It stated that you’re not necessarily sharing a ship with 3,000 other people as you stated. 

• Like 1

• 9 months later...
1 hour ago, ERParadise said:

Does Oceania have a private club for suite clients like Michael's Club on Celebrity?

Does Oceania provide free alcohol and drinks for suite clients or do you have to pay for every drink?

no club

You have access to the Executive lounge  ( on O ships) but  no alcoholic  drinks there

I believe you get  a six bottle set up  for the top suites  OS VS & OC

If you want unlimited drinks your option is the drink package -- but that depends on just how much you will drink.  For many of us (lighter drinkers) paying $60/pp/day is not something we consider.  And not everything is included although from what I understand most are. 

In the top suites, as Lyn said, there is the six bottle set-up per cruise -- you can take all wine, all booze, or a mixture.  Any wine can be taken to a dining venue without paying the surcharge.

It doesn't sound like there's anything on Oceania that is comparable to Celebrity's Michael Club.  Then again, on Oceania there is no extra charge for specialty restaurants -- exceptions are Privee for 8-10 guests and the La Reserve wine paired menu, both on MARINA or REVIERA, not the "R" ships.

13 hours ago, Mura said:

If you want unlimited drinks your option is the drink package -- but that depends on just how much you will drink.  For many of us (lighter drinkers) paying $60/pp/day is not something we consider.  And not everything is included although from what I understand most are. 

In the top suites, as Lyn said, there is the six bottle set-up per cruise -- you can take all wine, all booze, or a mixture.  Any wine can be taken to a dining venue without paying the surcharge.

It doesn't sound like there's anything on Oceania that is comparable to Celebrity's Michael Club.  Then again, on Oceania there is no extra charge for specialty restaurants -- exceptions are Privee for 8-10 guests and the La Reserve wine paired menu, both on MARINA or REVIERA, not the "R" ships.

Thanks for the input.  A couple of follow-up questions:

1) Without the drink package what does Oceania charge for non-alcoholic drinks?

2) can one person from a couple buy the drink package or do they require both people in a couple to buy it ($60 vs $120/day)?

3) what is in the Executive Lounge and who can access this Lounge?

Thanks

13 hours ago, LHT28 said:

no club

You have access to the Executive lounge  ( on O ships) but  no alcoholic  drinks there

I believe you get  a six bottle set up  for the top suites  OS VS & OC

Who has access to the Executive Lounge (everyone or just some suite categories)?

33 minutes ago, ERParadise said:

What is in the Executive Lounge that is interesting or fun?

It can be a quiet place to relax (not always 🙂) and read some newspapers that are otherwise not available unless you pay for them. Unfortunately, some selfish and entitled passengers often take the papers (like USA Today) to their cabin even though it clearly states not to do that. 😥

They also have sodas, coffee machine and snacks/sandwiches as well as a concierge to help you with things you might need (booking/cancelling taxis, hotels, private tours, etc)

Edited by Paulchili

53 minutes ago, ERParadise said:

Thanks for the input.  A couple of follow-up questions:

1) Without the drink package what does Oceania charge for non-alcoholic drinks?  No charge

2) can one person from a couple buy the drink package or do they require both people in a couple to buy it ($60 vs $120/day)?  only one person  if that is your choice  but no sharing

Thanks

You can also bring on wine/spirits  for you cabin  use

If you take wine to a dining venue there is  a one time corkage fee per bottle ($25)

You do not say what ship you are  but here are some menus  from Marina 

https://www.thepreismans.com/marina19_menus.htm

as well as photos he took of the ship ..Riviera  is pretty much the same