Key West - HOHO

cltnccruisers

On a whim we just booked a short 10/18 cruise on Infinity - just to get away. Ft L, Key West, Nassau, Ft L - a quickie. Question is - for a tour of KW is HOHO enough? How cheap compared to an excursion?

That is what we did. We got off at most of the stops, and toured the Hemingway house, went for lunch at a very good place, and got some key lime pie. That was enough for us, and we definitely did not feel the need for an excursion. Had never been to Key West before, but we would definitely go back!

Tom & Judy

On a whim we just booked a short 10/18 cruise on Infinity - just to get away. Ft L, Key West, Nassau, Ft L - a quickie. Question is - for a tour of KW is HOHO enough? How cheap compared to an excursion?

Yes.

HoHo is cheap for a quickie look at KW.

One thing to keep in mind from what I have seen on my several visits to Key West - sometimes it is easy to hop off, but not so easy to hop back on. If the port is very busy then you may have to wait sometimes for a trolley with space. You can easily walk to many of the key attractions (ok, I had to say it). These would include the downtown shopping and restaurant/bar area, Hemmingway House, southernmost point (about a mile away), Mel Fisher museum, Mallory Square, and the aquarium. HOHO is nice, but not really necessary.

I've used the HoHo several times. I did the entire loop to check things out. Then got off near the Southern most point. Nearby is the Keywest Butterfly Conservatory - loved it. I've been there more than once. It is hard sometimes to get back on . . . . no seats available. Not sure how far you can walk, but rather than wait for an empty seat - I've walked back to the tourist area. Renting a bike is fun too - it's flat.

Is the HOHO actually a bus, or a conch train? Have also visited several times. We have walked, rented bikes and taken a Conch Train excursion. Would enjoy having a leisurely ride on a conch train that will let us on and off at our leisure. Would not want to be on a bus.

In all of our visits, we have never toured the Hemingway House, or visited the Aquarium or Butterfly Conservatory. Is the Hemingway House worth a visit? I have a historical fiction book about him that I am saving for an upcoming cruise that visits Key West.

HoHo less bus and more trolley. You can do a quick Google and see what I mean. Open air windows . . . . once when there was a short lived down pour, the driver passed out rain ponchos. Yes - you can walk around the tourist area of Keywest. But the HoHo trolley makes quite the loop, and there is interesting commentary along the way.

There is also a Conch Train - not sure the route it takes, as I haven't ridden it. I'm guessing a smaller loop than the trolley.

If I remember correctly (and that doesn't happen all that often), The HOHO is really the Key West Trolley. It is orange with a green roof. We took it once and enjoyed the loop and the commentary. One can get off and on at any of their stops.

Our last trip to Key West we just walked and enjoyed visitiong the Heminway House and the Truman White House. We also enloyed the chocolate covered Key Lime Pie on a stick and several adult beverages at the Schooner Wharf Bar where we sat on the top deck, listened to the live music below and checked out the top end yachts. A fun day to be sure.

If I remember correctly (and that doesn't happen all that often), The HOHO is really the Key West Trolley. It is orange with a green roof. We took it once and enjoyed the loop and the commentary. One can get off and on at any of their stops.

Our last trip to Key West we just walked and enjoyed visitiong the Heminway House and the Truman White House. We also enloyed the chocolate covered Key Lime Pie on a stick and several adult beverages at the Schooner Wharf Bar where we sat on the top deck, listened to the live music below and checked out the top end yachts. A fun day to be sure.

So it's the Old Town Trolley. We used them in Savannah and it worked great.

So it's the Old Town Trolley. We used them in Savannah and it worked great.

Yes, the Key West Old Town Trolley. We enjoyed it in April for an overview of Key West. It is true that sometimes it is hard to get back on, but in that case you can usually just walk to a location where it is easier, or wait for the next one. There is also the Key West Conch Train, but I believe it has fewer stops and maybe a more limited loop.

Tom & Judy

I lived in Key West for 4 years, just out of school from 1993-1997, have been back a couple of times for short weekends but not in more than 15 years...I agree, although it's become commercialized, the best day in Key West is just walking. Everything you would want to see is within 10 sq blocks.

Heading back for my first ever cruise port visit there in August. Looking forward to walking around, seeing the sites and eating Banana Heaven at The Blu Heaven Restaurant in Bahama Village. We are there on a Sunday, if not I'd start my day with a cuban cafe con leche and ham and egg sandwich from 3 Brothers Grocery in the 900 block of Southard Street.

Edited by love to sail - brian

I lived in Key West for 4 years, just out of school from 1993-1997, have been back a couple of times for short weekends but not in more than 15 years...I agree, although it's become commercialized, the best day in Key West is just walking. Everything you would want to see is within 10 sq blocks.

Heading back for my first ever cruise port visit there in August. Looking forward to walking around, seeing the sites and eating Banana Heaven at The Blu Heaven Restaurant in Bahama Village. We are there on a Sunday, if not I'd start my day with a cuban cafe con leche and ham and egg sandwich from 3 Brothers Grocery in the 900 block of Southard Street.

Sorry, Meant 5 (Five Brothers Grocery)...couldn't find a way to edit. They are open Monday through Saturday, Closed Sundays.