Potential new O cruiser with solo questions

cruisemom42

I'm considering an Oceania cruise in 2019 that is being offered with free internet plus one additional O-life perk. The perks I'm considering are listed as: 6 free shore excursions per stateroom or $600 shipboard credit per stateroom.

However, each of those has an asterisk that further notes they are "per stateroom, based on double occupancy and subject to change".

If I am traveling solo and paying 200%, does anyone know whether I will receive the full per stateroom amount or will it be pro-rated in some way?

No, you will not receive double the benefits even though you will pay twice the cost as a single person. Oceania is very hard on single cruisers. Look for the few specials they have on specific cruises to get a slightly better deal.

That's a shame. I'd like to try Oceania; have been looking at them on and off for 3-4 years now. I just can't bring myself to do it when there are more palatable deals for solos elsewhere.

You don't need to pay for the O Life perks, you can book the cruise-only fare. Internet is free whether you have O Life or not (despite what their advertising says).

I can't believe that they charge the O Life supplement on the single surcharge but then don't give you the benefit. But then again, I guess with Celebrity the "perk" is included in the price for the 2nd person/single supplement and you don't get it. At least they don't charge you port fees for the 2nd person. Oceania bundles them in with the fare so you have to pay it for the single supplement.

I had the same issue. I booked the ATW cruise for January, 2019, and had to pay the double fare. At first they told me I would only get half of the 72 shorex that two people would share for their cabin. I called my cruise consultant and told her that was unfair...if I am paying for two people

EVEN the 'hidden' port taxes and fees for two(!)...then surely I should get all that come with that fare. She said she would 'escalate it' to management. A few days later, they responded by agreeing that if I would choose the shorex as my 'O-Life' perk, they would give me 36 shorex, plus $3600. OBC above the full world cruise OBC already offered. So I can spend the OBC on more shorex, or anything else on board...not quite the same value as getting 72 shorex, but I accepted their offer...

I am booked as a solo passenger on an April 2019 NYC-Southampton cruise on Marina in a PH. For the record, I'm a gold passenger with Oceania.

According to my invoice I have the total SBC ($400pp, $800 per cabin, and they show I have the $800). I also have the Gold level SBC per suite ($500) and the complimentary spa credit per suite ($460).

Now, this MAY be because this will be my 18th Oceania cruise, and I am "gold". Perhaps a first timer won't get the same benefits. I wouldn't be surprised.

Mura

FWIW we've been on several Oceania cruises now (Marina next month will be my 5th) and always get hit with the single supplement (I love my mother dearly but I am NOT sharing a cabin with her). I've had several run-ins with Oceania about the benefits package and whilst they will normally flat-out refuse to give you the full shorex benefit, we normally get the full OBC. Having said that, make sure you get confirmation in writing....

Thanks; the additional posts have encouraged me to at least talk to TA to see what's what instead of making assumptions. I just wish these things were a bit more transparent!

I have done 12 O cruises and most have them been as a solo. If I am paying the price for two, I get the full cabin OBC. When I take advantage of the cruises that offer the single supplement (see cbb post) I get half the OBC.

Last Nov, I switched to single supplement pricing from the dbl pricing and was told my 800obc would drop to 400obc so I decided to take the drink package(wine and beer with lunch and dinner) because the face value of that was $720 .

If you have any other questions, feel free to email me. btw, the O site doesn't calculate the single supplement on cruises that apply.

Catherine

I am curious about what people experience as solo travelers. Since my husband passed away, I have gone on several trips and shared with family but I'm wondering how it feels to be alone on an Oceania cruise. Any advice to a first time solo traveler?

Mary

I too am wondering about that...O's sibling, NCL, I believe has the best experience at sea for solo traveler's. Every evening from about 5 until 6 PM, they have a solo cruiser's hosted get-together in one of the ship's lounges. It is posted in the daily program. During that time, the host, a member of the cruise director's activities staff, will make introductions, conduct things like trivia games, and just keep everyone in a partying mood. They have a sign up sheet for people wanting to have a specialty dinner together on future dates, another sheet for those wanting to go on shorex together, and other things, like card games, etc.

At the end of the hour, the host will invite all those wishing to, to come to the main dining room, where they typically have one or two large table reserved. Very enjoyable. :)

I mentioned in my earlier post, how Oceania charged me the full double fare, including the 'hidden' port taxes and fees. On other cruise lines, they will always at least deduct that amount, which is only a fraction of the total...but hey, it's still something.

Since Oceania doesn't have to pay for two to the various ports...it seems wrong that they don't give back at least that amount. All other lines I have paid a 'double fare' to, have discounted those fees.

I will take that up with O, and see what they have to say about it....:confused:

I am curious about what people experience as solo travelers. Since my husband passed away, I have gone on several trips and shared with family but I'm wondering how it feels to be alone on an Oceania cruise. Any advice to a first time solo traveler?

Many cruisers love going solo (on any cruiseline), but I did not like it. I don't want to go to "get togethers" with strangers or party-hardy. I prefer to relax and do things with family and friends. The cruise started out with me and my friend, but she became very ill as we boarded the ship and was taken to a local hospital. I wasn't expecting to go solo and was very lonely. One night at dinner I was humiliated by the maitre d', so ate the rest of my meals in the buffet or my cabin. Excursions weren't fun alone. I hope you enjoy the experience but I learned it wasn't for me.

Many cruisers love going solo (on any cruiseline), but I did not like it. I don't want to go to "get togethers" with strangers or party-hardy. I prefer to relax and do things with family and friends. The cruise started out with me and my friend, but she became very ill as we boarded the ship and was taken to a local hospital. I wasn't expecting to go solo and was very lonely. One night at dinner I was humiliated by the maitre d', so ate the rest of my meals in the buffet or my cabin. Excursions weren't fun alone. I hope you enjoy the experience but I learned it wasn't for me.

I haven't traveled solo yet but I expect to do so on Oceania next April. I can understand if you weren't interested in the get togethers with strangers or "party-hardy" as you put it. I probably wouldn't be either.

But being humiliated by the maitre d' sounds so beyond the pale, I can't believe it. (I don't mean that I don't believe it!) How inexcuseable that was.

Mura

found this under "special offers" and one of them was for solo travelers--don't know whether it helps OP...

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/special-offers/single-supplement/

Yes there can be specials of only a 50% surcharge for solos, However, to get that 50% you need to book a suite !!! So, in the longrun/ big picture, it may be cheaper/ cost effective to book a cruise in an inside for less than a suite at 150% !

Yes there can be specials of only a 50% surcharge for solos, However, to get that 50% you need to book a suite !!! So, in the longrun/ big picture, it may be cheaper/ cost effective to book a cruise in an inside for less than a suite at 150% !

That's not accurate. You're right that it doesn't apply to inside or ocean view but the most common category to have a single supplement is the Concierge class. Occasionally it will apply to the PH category but never to the big suites.

I too am wondering about that...O's sibling, NCL, I believe has the best experience at sea for solo traveler's. Every evening from about 5 until 6 PM, they have a solo cruiser's hosted get-together in one of the ship's lounges. It is posted in the daily program. During that time, the host, a member of the cruise director's activities staff, will make introductions, conduct things like trivia games, and just keep everyone in a partying mood. They have a sign up sheet for people wanting to have a specialty dinner together on future dates, another sheet for those wanting to go on shorex together, and other things, like card games, etc.

At the end of the hour, the host will invite all those wishing to, to come to the main dining room, where they typically have one or two large table reserved. Very enjoyable. :)

Oceania does have solo guests get together and I believe they do invite them to dinner in the dining room. I haven't taken advantage of that yet. The thing I like most is that Oceania specialty restaurants are for everyone and you will be able to share a table with different people. On other lines, I would have to book for just myself if I wanted to go to a specialty restaurant.

That's not accurate. You're right that it doesn't apply to inside or ocean view but the most common category to have a single supplement is the Concierge class. Occasionally it will apply to the PH category but never to the big suites.

Interestingly, it does say "suites" in the offer description, but I guess that's what they call all cabins. On my cruise (Insignia 8/24) it's valid on A-C (all of which are currently wait listed), so it can include an oceanview on some. I checked another sailing and it was only valid on A and B. So it obviously varies by cruise.

Interestingly, it does say "suites" in the offer description, but I guess that's what they call all cabins. On my cruise (Insignia 8/24) it's valid on A-C (all of which are currently wait listed), so it can include an oceanview on some. I checked another sailing and it was only valid on A and B. So it obviously varies by cruise.
I stand corrected[emoji846] I've never seen Oceanview on Riviera or Marina which are my go to ships to check Single Supplement offers. I think cruise lines use the term "suites" rather indiscriminately.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Mary

While I haven't yet cruised on Oceania, I've traveled solo on ships both larger and smaller. As well as quite a bit of land travel....

I may be in the minority, but I enjoy traveling solo -- I tend to appreciate specific things much more than most; I could spend an entire day in a good museum and be happy. When I'm on my own, I can do as I like without having to accommodate to others' wishes. Somewhat selfish, I know!

There are a few times when one might feel a bit lonely or at least alone. But cruise travel is usually less likely to evoke that feeling than traveling alone on land simply because of the communal areas where it is easy to get into conversations with others who are all doing and seeing the same things as you.

But being humiliated by the maitre d' sounds so beyond the pale, I can't believe it. (I don't mean that I don't believe it!) How inexcuseable that was.

It probably doesn't matter which cruiseline it was, but it was Celebrity's anytime dining room. When asked if I'd like to share a table, I said yes. I was taken to a 10-top with 9 people who were all in the same family. When I sat down in the only open seat, no one even looked at me, let alone said "hello." They were busy talking among themselves and already finishing their appetizers/salads...I had just gotten my menu...so they were way ahead of me in the meal. After about 5 min. the waiter didn't return and no one spoke to me, so I got up and went back to the entryway and spoke with the maitre d'. He said he would put me at a different table where they were going to seat people just arriving....I said ok. He took me to an empty 8-top and gave me a menu. I noticed the hosts seating many newly arriving people, but none were seated at my table. After about 15 min. of sitting alone with no waiter coming to my table and noticing people at other tables looking at me (I'm sure they were puzzled why I was sitting alone at a big table), I felt tears welling up in my eyes and got up and left. The maitre d' asked why I was leaving....after I told him he just kept saying "well, I'll try again." No way....I was already so embarrassed and miserable. At least in the buffet or my cabin I could read my book and eat in peace without others staring at me.

This incident probably won't happen to anyone else, but after experiencing it myself, I have no desire to travel alone again. I'm not trying to discourage others from traveling solo, but just sharing a different opinion than is often written on CC.

It probably doesn't matter which cruiseline it was, but it was Celebrity's anytime dining room. When asked if I'd like to share a table, I said yes. I was taken to a 10-top with 9 people who were all in the same family. When I sat down in the only open seat, no one even looked at me, let alone said "hello." They were busy talking among themselves and already finishing their appetizers/salads...I had just gotten my menu...so they were way ahead of me in the meal. After about 5 min. the waiter didn't return and no one spoke to me, so I got up and went back to the entryway and spoke with the maitre d'. He said he would put me at a different table where they were going to seat people just arriving....I said ok. He took me to an empty 8-top and gave me a menu. I noticed the hosts seating many newly arriving people, but none were seated at my table. After about 15 min. of sitting alone with no waiter coming to my table and noticing people at other tables looking at me (I'm sure they were puzzled why I was sitting alone at a big table), I felt tears welling up in my eyes and got up and left. The maitre d' asked why I was leaving....after I told him he just kept saying "well, I'll try again." No way....I was already so embarrassed and miserable. At least in the buffet or my cabin I could read my book and eat in peace without others staring at me.

This incident probably won't happen to anyone else, but after experiencing it myself, I have no desire to travel alone again. I'm not trying to discourage others from traveling solo, but just sharing a different opinion than is often written on CC.

What a terrible experience to have to go through...I am sorry you had it.

I would love to have found someone to share my cabin with, but due to the extreme length (180 days), that was not going to happen. But this was on my 'bucket list', so I didn't let that stop me.

That is why I love the NCL practice, of putting solo traveler's together beforehand. Avoids any chance of that type of experience you suffered on Celebrity....

I, too, am so sorry you had that experience.

But I DO have to say I don't think that would have happened on Oceania. Here is why.

When my husband and I ask to share, sometimes we are told we can't. The reason is because they want to fill the table up immediately so that everyone is ordering and eating in the same time frame. So if no one else is there when you are, they'll put you at a smaller table. We have on occasion been given a table for four in hopes that someone would show up wanting to share. When they didn't, they would just clear the other places and leave us at the table. No eviction to a two-top!

To place you at a family of 9 just because there's one empty seat was ridiculous, as was putting you at a large table and then ignoring you.

On a recent cruise we arrived at the maitre d's post on Marina and a single woman was there. We asked her if she wanted to join us and she did. It was a lovely dinner with a woman we wouldn't have met otherwise. On our last cruise we weren't going to share -- DH has vision and hearing problems and preferred to be alone that night. But the maitre d' asked us if we would be willing to share because a couple had been waiting for a while for other companions. So we joined them, and again had a wonderful dinner with people we wouldn't have met otherwise.

Perhaps Celebrity should instruct their staff on how to better manage seating arrangements.

Mura