tipping on top of tipping

littleredtj

I'm reading all these responses and now I am confused.

I am surprising DH with a HLA cruise. I thought the daily gratuity (except alcohol) was included on bill? I want to make sure I pay for as much as I can up front.

Can someone clarify?

The daily gratuity (also called HSC - hotel service charge) is not included in the fare you pay up front. It is charged each day to your on board account.

But, if you want to pay for as much as you can upfront, just go to the HAL site, log in and buy enough OBC (on board credit) to cover the HSC for your cruise and, if you suspect there will be other charges you can buy enough OBC for that too. Any unused OBC will be refunded to you at the end of the cruise.

I hate to ask and I know once I get the answer I will feel foolish but what is an HLA cruise? Honeymoon?

I'm not sure if I interpreted your post correctly or not, but it sounded like you wanted as much paid for before you sail as possible.

I hate to suggest it, but it is a reasonable explanation -- the people being watched with "hope and expectation (and maybe anxiety) may have removed their HSC..... :(

We've only seen that sort of anticipation/angst once, and it was the last night when our table companions didn't show up :mad:

That's a very good point. those that choose to remove usually wait until the the night before or the day of. The crew certainly know who they are.

I am surprising DH with a HLA cruise. I thought the daily gratuity (except alcohol) was included on bill? I want to make sure I pay for as much as I can up front.

Can someone clarify?

You are quite correct. The Hotel Service Charge is added to your account and 15% gratuity is added to the cost of each drink and also added to your account.

If you want to give an additional cash tip to anyone whilst onboard the ship that is entirely at your discretion and is not expected by the staff.

Generally speaking, Stratheden is correct that the Hotel Service Charge (HSC) is in addition to the cruise fare. However, there was a recent promos that included complimentary HSC. You are best to contact your travel agent, or HAL, whoever you booked through, to determine whether you received that HSC promo (it was a limited-time thing). Then, based on what you learn, you will know whether you will need to pay the HSC in addition to the fare.

I can't believe that you think the PG is an upscale restaurant that delivers "Silent Service" You obviously haven't dined at any 'real' upscale restaurants. They can't even cook steak to the requested 'doneness'.

The PG is HAL’s Upscale restaurant vs the MDR! What they strive to deliver is Silent Service and I’m surprised since you have dined at “real” Upscale Restaurants you would mistake it as snobbiness and unfriendliness! But some Customers can get a different type of “Silent Service” even in a Pizzeria. ;) Easily recognized! It’s when your Server avoids a Table other than to do what they have to because the Customer is either rude, demanding, or talks down to them.

The daily gratuity (also called HSC - hotel service charge) is not included in the fare you pay up front. It is charged each day to your on board account.

But, if you want to pay for as much as you can upfront, just go to the HAL site, log in and buy enough OBC (on board credit) to cover the HSC for your cruise and, if you suspect there will be other charges you can buy enough OBC for that too. Any unused OBC will be refunded to you at the end of the cruise.

I hate to ask and I know once I get the answer I will feel foolish but what is an HLA cruise? Honeymoon?

I'm not sure if I interpreted your post correctly or not, but it sounded like you wanted as much paid for before you sail as possible.

Thanks, I will check into the OBC. I don't want my DH to incur any expenses and I don't want any surprises at the end of the cruise. Otherwise, I will be a nervous wreck! HLA was my acronym for Holland America..ha ha....not a honeymoon. We have 36 years! :cool:

Generally speaking, Stratheden is correct that the Hotel Service Charge (HSC) is in addition to the cruise fare. However, there was a recent promos that included complimentary HSC. You are best to contact your travel agent, or HAL, whoever you booked through, to determine whether you received that HSC promo (it was a limited-time thing). Then, based on what you learn, you will know whether you will need to pay the HSC in addition to the fare.

Will do and thanks!

Can someone clarify?

When I sailed on HAL a couple of months ago I wanted to prepay the gratuity. But unlike other cruiselines, HAL didn't seem set for doing that. The workaround was to buy OBC in an amount that would cover the daily charges.

I can't believe that you think the PG is an upscale restaurant that delivers "Silent Service" You obviously haven't dined at any 'real' upscale restaurants. They can't even cook steak to the requested 'doneness'.

I have to disagree with this. We have always had impeccable service in the PG, and our steaks have always been prepared exactly as we requested.

When I sailed on HAL a couple of months ago I wanted to prepay the gratuity. But unlike other cruiselines, HAL didn't seem set for doing that. The workaround was to buy OBC in an amount that would cover the daily charges.

Sound like this appears to be the same end point - you pre-paid the gratuities, and HAL provided the method for you to do this.

I can remember when HAL's marketing slogan was -

Tipping Not Required

Well, duhhhhhhh. :rolleyes:

'Gratuities' are not (really) gratuities. It may boil down to semantics, but in reality, the 'auto tips' charged to your on board account are wages.

I can remember when HAL's marketing slogan was -

Tipping Not Required

Well, duhhhhhhh. :rolleyes:

'Gratuities' are not (really) gratuities. It may boil down to semantics, but in reality, the 'auto tips' charged to your on board account are wages.

No, while gratuities are INCOME to the staff, they are not WAGES. The fact that they are removable (hopefully only for cause), the fact that (in many home countries) they are not taxed the same way wages are (of at all), and the fact that they are not treated as part of the line’s income - or as the lines expenses as wages are - they are not wages.

Millions of Americans receive non-wage income - as tips, performance bonuses, profit sharing plans, 401-k plans, medical savings plans, etc. —- why are they unable to understand the difference when they cruise?

Op, have no fear.

You do not have to tip on top of tipping. It's not required or expected.

You will pay 15% for your drinks and daily HSC of $13.50 or $15 pp depending on your cabin category.

that's it. No need to do anymore but...you might be so impressed with some service (ie your cabin stewards, your dining room stewards, a bartender or server) that you want to. And if you do, no matter what the amount, it will be appreciated.

It is NOT and expectation or a requirement. Some of us do it because we choose to based on the service we get. Others choose not to. It's all good :D

Excellently explained. This is our approach too.

Dan

I've never observed or experienced this.

Roz

Same here. We don’t see the waiters or head waiters “hover” like they used to before auto service charge was the norm. In fact we’ve had the opposite happen. Sometimes we have an extra tip ready for our waiter and he gets so busy at the end of the evening the last night that we sometimes miss him.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Millions of Americans receive non-wage income - as tips, performance bonuses, profit sharing plans, 401-k plans, medical savings plans, etc. —- why are they unable to understand the difference when they cruise?

Bolding is mine..

Where I come from, performance bonuses were always treated as regular income, and taxed accordingly.

Bolding is mine..

Where I come from, performance bonuses were always treated as regular income, and taxed accordingly.

Perhaps the tax code is different in Indonesia?

It's been reported on CC that most of the service crew is from Indonesia and get their employment offers through an Employment Agency. The cut for the Employment Agency does not consider tips.

Perhaps the tax code is different in Indonesia?

Perhaps, but my comment was in response to NBT's assertion that (here in the U.S.) performance bonuses were not considered taxable (wage) income, which in my experience, they certainly are.

Bolding is mine..

Yes, certainly - but performance bonuses are not wages - and I was responding to a poster who claimed gratuities were wages. Any income, taxed or otherwise, which is variable - generally depending upon performance - does not equate to wages. Sales commissions, bonuses, gratuities, etc. are all examples of non-wage income.

Yes, certainly - but performance bonuses are not wages

Oh, but they certainly are. They are taxed as wages, and they are reported in one's W-2 at the end of the year as 'taxable wages'. I'm not sure how else one would define wages under current U.S. tax law.

Performance Bonuses (among other types of income) are considered 'supplemental wages' by the IRS and are taxed accordingly. From IRS Publication 15 -

'Bonuses are considered supplemental wages and therefore are taxable.'

As defined by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) in the Employer's Tax Guide, “supplemental wages are compensation paid in addition to an employee's regular wages. They include, but are not limited to: bonuses, commissions, overtime pay, payments for accumulated sick leave, severance pay, awards, prizes, back pay, retroactive pay increases, and payments for nondeductible moving expenses.”

Oh, but they certainly are. They are taxed as wages, and they are reported in one's W-2 at the end of the year as 'taxable wages'. I'm not sure how else one would define wages under current U.S. tax law.

This is correct- bonuses, commissions, wages, salaries are all incorporated into the W2 as taxable wages. Gratuities are reportable income too.

Cruise ships sail under flags from other countries, I don’t think US tax laws apply to crew.

Passengers definitely pay the bulk of crew wages, in the form of gratuities. Consumer agencies and a certain law firm have lots of data on this. In the event gratuity collection falls short, the cruise line is required by most employee contracts to kick in the amount of the shortfall.

While inclusions and exclusion may vary from country to country, the Canadian model is quite similar:

Salary or wages / Traitements ou salaires

The term salary or wages is defined in the ITA and means income from an office or employment. Salary or wages generally includes any expenditure made in respect of a taxable benefit as well as vacation pay, statutory holiday pay, sick leave pay, pay in lieu of termination notice, bonuses, tips and gratuities, honorariums, director's fees, management fees and commissions.

Salary or wages do not include amounts in respect of the employer’s shares of the related benefits, amounts for extended vacation or sick leave, stock options benefits and retiring allowance.

Perhaps, but my comment was in response to NBT's assertion that (here in the U.S.) performance bonuses were not considered taxable (wage) income, which in my experience, they certainly are.

You misquote- I said “in some home countries” (Phillipines, Indonesia, etc.) referring to non-taxability of gratuities - I made no mention of the US — you put that in.

Also, “wages” means fixed rate of pay - hourly, weekly, etc. — and does not refer to such variables as performance bonuses, tips, sales commissions, etc., which are, of course, also taxable in the US. — but are not wages.