Another food question

rvmike

I am aware about not taking food off the ship except prepackaged. What about taking food on a ship. I would like to buy certain cold cuts to make my own sandwiches on board

In general it will need to be prepackaged to bring it on the ship also. Even so, it may depend on the port. On a Baltic cruise I tried to bring on a packaged sausage from one of the Scandinavian ports and it was confiscated.

In general it will need to be prepackaged to bring it on the ship also. Even so, it may depend on the port. On a Baltic cruise I tried to bring on a packaged sausage from one of the Scandinavian ports and it was confiscated.

Yup, they do inspections at embarkation ports also, in most cases they will not allow this. They have inspectors and puppies at many of the ports to prevent this.

If it's package-sealed, maybe. If it's just sliced deli meat in a wrapper, I'm 99.9% sure, they will take it from you. On one of our first cruises, we tried to take left-over food from a dinner back on board (we were newbies and didn't know better) and that was a no-go. On a cruise in Norway about 2 years ago we saw a passenger try to bring a salted fish that was sealed in plastic onboard after a port stop and it was confiscated.

I am aware about not taking food off the ship except prepackaged. What about taking food on a ship. I would like to buy certain cold cuts to make my own sandwiches on board

In the event you're serious.....I don't think you'd get away with bringing cold cuts on board....besides you'd need to bring bread, mayo/mustard, etc. and I'd hate to be next to your cabin if you liked salami or corned beef or limburger! Not to mention the storage problem....have you seen the size of the fridge in a stateroom? You can get just about any kind of sandwich you want made to order on board.....and it's "free".....meaning you already paid for it.

Hydro kitty

You should read the entire post before making statements. I said I have 30 plus cruises so yes i k ow the size of the fridges. Never mentioned bring bread or. Condiments with me so where did you get that assumption. To many people have opinions but no knowledge. For those with constructive advise,Thank hou

Hydro kitty

You should read the entire post before making statements. I said I have 30 plus cruises so yes i k ow the size of the fridges. Never mentioned bring bread or. Condiments with me so where did you get that assumption. To many people have opinions but no knowledge. For those with constructive advise,Thank hou

Your opinion is noted however, you did say you wanted to bring cold cuts on board to make sandwiches...you don't use bread or any kind of spread to make your sandwich? Not that there's anything wrong with that...and if you've done 30 cruises, why now do you need to bring your own food? You're welcome.

Actually ,as I have said, I have brought pre-packaged, vacuum sealed meat, and cheese, aboard.

There are so many interesting meats available in Germany, France, Italy and Spain, different than the cold cuts offered on board. I don't think it's at all unreasonable to ask about bringing meat aboard from ports such as these. They can also be imported into the US, as long as they are vacuum sealed.

Wow, this thread got ugly quickly!

I have a serious follow-up question: why would Celebrity restrict some kinds of food from being brought on board? It would never have occurred to me that this it would pose a problem if I wanted to bring some locally-purchased snacks back with me from a port of call. They allow candy, pastries, etc. So why not meat? Just curious.

Wow, this thread got ugly quickly!

I have a serious follow-up question: why would Celebrity restrict some kinds of food from being brought on board? It would never have occurred to me that this it would pose a problem if I wanted to bring some locally-purchased snacks back with me from a port of call. They allow candy, pastries, etc. So why not meat? Just curious.

I think it has to do with health issues..I know US and many other countries are very particular about bringing fresh fruits because they could carry insects or insecticides not permitted...also matter of refrigeration..Cabin fridges are not really meant to keep many foods at optimal temps so you run the risk if getting sick from eating something that may look and smell ok but not be safe to eat...and if the passenger is not conscientious about perishible foods there could be offensive odors. As you know packaged non-perishibles are allowed on board and I agree it's fun bringing cookies and candy from different countries on board.