Phantom Charges Strike Again!

besberry

Just had my credit card bill and my Oriana cruise bill was on it. Well actually TWO Oriana charges. The first one I was expecting, the second for £4.23, posted the next day, I wasn't. After a 25 minute wait on the phone (thank the lord for the freephone number), I was told it would be refunded. So many posts on here and FB about these charges that you think the company would realise the game's ip, but apparently not :(

little amounts add up when you see the number on cruise forums complaining about the same happening and what is also worrying is that it happens on Cunard as well so obviously a Carnival UK problem. But it needs sorting.

Just had my credit card bill and my Oriana cruise bill was on it. Well actually TWO Oriana charges. The first one I was expecting, the second for £4.23, posted the next day, I wasn't. After a 25 minute wait on the phone (thank the lord for the freephone number), I was told it would be refunded. So many posts on here and FB about these charges that you think the company would realise the game's ip, but apparently not :(
These are usually phantom mini bar charges.

You were patient staying on the phone for 25 minutes because lots of people would have hung up thinking it wasn't worth it and that's probably what they want people to do.

At least it was a free phone number because on RCCL it was an 0844 number and a couple of times I didn't bother ringing because it cost more to ring and they only credit the overcharge and not the call cost.

little amounts add up when you see the number on cruise forums complaining about the same happening and what is also worrying is that it happens on Cunard as well so obviously a Carnival UK problem. But it needs sorting.
It happens on RCCL too.

I had one of these on Oriana, fr £4.55. I tried to phone and got nowhere, so I emailed my credit card company and cancelled the charge, then emailed P and O to tell them why. Charge was cancelled, no repercussions. And no hanging on the phone. I just do not do Call Centres.

These little charges are usually for the mini bar if your steward has reported any discrepancies once you've disembarked. Probably done out of spite if you've knocked off your grats ;)

We didn't knock off the grats, though we didn't tip extra either.

It happens on RCCL too.

It's never happened to me on RCI, Celebrity or Norwegian and it's the first time it's happened on P&O

We didn't knock off the grats, though we didn't tip extra either.

It's never happened to me on RCI, Celebrity or Norwegian and it's the first time it's happened on P&O

24 cruises on RC and it has happened 3 times to us.

There was a long thread on RC about this issue and in the end RC removed the 2x1 litre bottles of still water from the cabins which were the offending items.

To be honest I just wish they’d remove the minibar

If you want a minibar option they should let you book it on the cruise personaliser

The first thing I do on every cruise is empty the fridge so I have room for my own soft drinks or nibbles. The stewards are busy and I don’t want to give them another job. Usually it ends up under the bed in a tray or bag

I don’t drink tea or coffee so I get rid of the tray as well as it just takes up valuable counter space in most cabins

Unless I am in the minority and most folk use the minibar contents ?

To be honest I just wish they’d remove the minibar

If you want a minibar option they should let you book it on the cruise personaliser

The first thing I do on every cruise is empty the fridge so I have room for my own soft drinks or nibbles. The stewards are busy and I don’t want to give them another job. Usually it ends up under the bed in a tray or bag

I don’t drink tea or coffee so I get rid of the tray as well as it just takes up valuable counter space in most cabins

Unless I am in the minority and most folk use the minibar contents ?

I have e mailed P and O to suggest them removing the minibar,which seems to be the reason for all the overcharged items.I just received a reply saying 'comments noted' but I'm sure if lots of people did the same P and O might take notice.I also suggested giving the option of having a minibar or not on the cruise personalise which would hopefully make things easier for the stewards too

I too remove the contents of the minibar and stick them behind the TV. The stewards are not allowed to remove the minibar items from any cabin by order of P&O. Usually they end up sticking them in a box or bag underneath the bed. Last time I stored my suitcase under said bed and broke a bottle, the cabin smelled like a brewery for days.

If anyone else does suggest removing the minibar to P&O, please make sure they understand it's the contents and NOT the fridge. P&O can sometimes take things too literally.