Is Luminae Really An Upgrade Over Blu?

Lightngsvt

Really enjoy the suite experience on Celebrity. We also have sailed in AQ many times prior to Luminae. Didn't like AQ . Food in Luminae ok-and you can also order from the MDR menu and they will make to order some items if you request them.

First of all the food is not great in AQ and if you have sailed multiple times on various ships a boring menu-same old-same old. The cabins are typically located in undesirable locations on the ship- they give you some cabin perks- but IMO useless- horrible teas, smelly orders in the stateroom, access to persian garden- rarely spent any time in it, etc.

If you do not do a suite, I suggest a regular balcony cabin, ideally midship with cabins above and below, and dine in specialty restaurants a few times. The MDR is fine also. You will save money as a bonus

Enjoy your cruise.

Mynki, my sole experience with Blu (on Summit) was similar to yours. Overall, It was disappointing, frustrating and simply not worth the extra cost. Should I ever try Aqua class again, it certainly won’t be on M class ships. I’ve only sailed in a suite once - pre Luminae- but I’m actively seeking an affordable Sky Suite, and looking forward to enjoying Luminae once I find one.

I've not written off the idea of sailing on M class ships again, but they would have to be sailing an itinerary I really want to do and be a suitable cost before I'd consider booking one again. I'd be prepared to pay much more if on an S class or even a newer RCL ship.

I think I've grown bored of them. They have limited amenities which really showed with 21 consecutive days onboard. I think the phrase 'familiarity breeds contempt' certainly applies to me on Summit. Rust on both cabin balconies didn't help either as it hardly adds to the experience. The bathrooms in concierge class are pretty grim too.

Maybe I'll take a look after the refit and after a few objective reviews start to appear in the coming months but in all honesty right now I'd rather try a completely different line. I enjoyed Cafe El Bachio, the Martini Bar and Sushi On 5 though.

We spent a couple of weeks last Sept/Oct on Summit (Canada/NE). We sailed in a sky suite and the suite experience was excellent as was Luminae. We had Captain Alex who was very funny and very visible to passengers and staff. I'm wondering if the Summit service has deteriorated since losing both Captain Kate and Captain Alex.

Captain Kate was onboard at the time, December 2017. On the second sailing Summit came to the aid of a sailboat in distress containing four refugees, a situation that she handled really well.

I liked her, spoke to her a few times as she was forever wandering around the ship chatting with passengers. She spent a lot of time in Sushi on 5 as did many other senior officers. I posted at the time that we thought the service there was excellent. I wonder if the many multi stripe customers had much to do with that? :D

The cabins are typically located in undesirable locations on the ship- they give you some cabin perks- but IMO useless-

I'm not sure of the locations of all of the AQ cabins, but every AQ we've been has always been midship on upper decks, which is what we wanted. The only time we weren't midship was in an S2 Sunset View which, other than the longer walk to everything, was great and better than I expected.

We spent a couple of weeks last Sept/Oct on Summit (Canada/NE). We sailed in a sky suite and the suite experience was excellent as was Luminae. We had Captain Alex who was very funny and very visible to passengers and staff. I'm wondering if the Summit service has deteriorated since losing both Captain Kate and Captain Alex.

I don’t know anything about the current Captain, but I’ve never been unhappy with a Celebrity Captain. Based on my experience, I’d happily sail Summit again, but not in Aqua. Another time, I’d try a Sky suite, Concierge or Veranda. I do look forward to the renovation of OVC, because I think the passenger flow works better with islands similar to those on S class.

I sailed in a Celebrity suite on the Eclipse a few years back and will sail in a S1 on the Infinity in January. I know you can't eat in the suite restaurant for breakfast and lunch in a S1. Can you eat at Blu for breakfast/lunch?

When I sailed in Aqua class I LOVED the menu in BLU, but it was not to my Husbands liking. How does one receive BLU dishes while dining in the suite restaurant? I did not know that was allowed!

Can you have BLU delivered to your suite if there are no reservations available for a suite guest? What is the best strategy to gain access in BLU for dinner? It is a first come, first serve basis-right?

I sailed in a Celebrity suite on the Eclipse a few years back and will sail in a S1 on the Infinity in January. I know you can't eat in the suite restaurant for breakfast and lunch in a S1. Can you eat at Blu for breakfast/lunch?

When I sailed in Aqua class I LOVED the menu in BLU, but it was not to my Husbands liking. How does one receive BLU dishes while dining in the suite restaurant? I did not know that was allowed!

Can you have BLU delivered to your suite if there are no reservations available for a suite guest? What is the best strategy to gain access in BLU for dinner? It is a first come, first serve basis-right?

Moycoy, I do not know if you have a typo in your post or were misinformed.

Just like the Celebrity suite, the Luminae is a benefit for S1 suite guests for breakfast, dinner, and lunch on sea days and embarkation day.

You can eat in Blu for breakfast and dinner (it is not open for lunch). The official wording is “as available”, but I would guess that it would not be much of a problem since the Luminae was introduced.

I have never ordered anything from the Blu menu when dining in Luminae, so I cannot answer that question.

I would not think you could order room service from Blu when staying in a Sky Suite.

This past March we sailed an S2 and we not only ate dinner every night in Luminae, we also ate breakfast and lunch a couple of times there as well. This was on Equinox, I assume the same rules apply across all ships?

You can eat in Blu as often as you'd like as a suite guest, and it is first come / first served seating. I can say in 7 cruises we have never not been able to get into Blu. The worst we've faced was a few minutes wait. I don't know that you can get Blu entree's in Luminae, at least we never asked for them. I believe Luminae offers their menu and MDR menu options.

In our S1, we had the standard room service menu (same as AQ) on the TV to order from. THough it did seem like they tried to make it appear fancier (powdered sugar and fresh strawberries on pancakes, etc).

Breakfast is fairly open and easy, but on more than one ship, when BLU is busy , we have seen suite guests asked to wait until the AQ line clears

.Suite seating in BLU is technically subject to availability...

Breakfast is fairly open and easy, but on more than one ship, when BLU is busy , we have seen suite guests asked to wait until the AQ line clears

.Suite seating in BLU is technically subject to availability...

What those suite guests should have done was ask either their butler or someone in Michaels Club to inform the Blu maitre 'd that they wanted to visit and given advance notice. There's no waiting then.

What those suite guests should have done was ask either their butler or someone in Michaels Club to inform the Blu maitre 'd that they wanted to visit and given advance notice. There's no waiting then.

As much as I like Blu, and also being a frequent suite traveler with a dedicated restaurant for suites only, I would hope the butler would tell me that Blu is on "availability basis" only for all suite guests. Blu is for Aqua guests and should a suite guest want to dine there it should be AFTER all Aqua guests have been seated......doesn't seem fair to get preferred seating there when you have Luminae.

As much as I like Blu, and also being a frequent suite traveler with a dedicated restaurant for suites only, I would hope the butler would tell me that Blu is on "availability basis" only for all suite guests. Blu is for Aqua guests and should a suite guest want to dine there it should be AFTER all Aqua guests have been seated......doesn't seem fair to get preferred seating there when you have Luminae.

Seems reasonable. I think many of you Blu diners are remembering the days before the introduction of the Luminae for suite guests, when the Blu was overwhelmed at times.

I cannot imagine that there would be much of wait for a table more recently, but I would admit that it is only an observation and not a recent experience.

Seems reasonable. I think many of you Blu diners are remembering the days before the introduction of the Luminae for suite guests, when the Blu was overwhelmed at times.

I cannot imagine that there would be much of wait for a table more recently, but I would admit that it is only an observation and not a recent experience.

I think you're probably right on "S" class ships but I keep reading here of Aqua guests that are handed a beeper because of the wait time on "M" class....if that's true then suite guests should not be allowed in at all during those times.....Luminae will fix pretty much anything on the ship for you so why crowd in on Blu?

Indeed. I've seen this theory touted about on Cruise Critic many times now. It is however quite meaningless. Whilst forum members may have their own thoughts and opinions, some of which might be quite valid it's all down to the crew to make decisions.

Personally I'd like to think that the butlers or MC concierge staff and Blu maitre 'd are all competent enough to balance resources so that everyone is happy.

So I stand by my previous post. If suite guests are kept waiting they've proven that they should have made formal arrangements more sooner.

You can apply the same theory to the MDR. Suite and aqua class guest do dine there on occasion. There are queues with guests also being given beepers and this may be exacerbated by suite and aqua guests, though you never see people mention that very much. I can't think why... ;)

If you book a suite, you're entitled to dine in Luminae, Blu, the MDR or even the OV cafe. No matter how much others protest. However as a common courtesy to all, simply make formal arrangements. :)

Indeed. I've seen this theory touted about on Cruise Critic many times now. It is however quite meaningless. Whilst forum members may have their own thoughts and opinions, some of which might be quite valid it's all down to the crew to make decisions.

Personally I'd like to think that the butlers or MC concierge staff and Blu maitre 'd are all competent enough to balance resources so that everyone is happy.

So I stand by my previous post. If suite guests are kept waiting they've proven that they should have made formal arrangements more sooner.

You can apply the same theory to the MDR. Suite and aqua class guest do dine there on occasion. There are queues with guests also being given beepers and this may be exacerbated by suite and aqua guests, though you never see people mention that very much. I can't think why... ;)

If you book a suite, you're entitled to dine in Luminae, Blu, the MDR or even the OV cafe. No matter how much others protest. However as a common courtesy to all, simply make formal arrangements. :)

Of course the crew makes the decisions I just personally feel it's selfish to expect to be moved ahead of a guest that booked Aqua FOR BLU no matter who made the reservation. We stay in suites so I'm not speaking as an Aqua guest....Luminae is for suites, Blu is for Aqua, and yes occasionally some of each may dine in the MDR, but again it is based on availability not at someone's whim. Just because you are in a suite does not mean you should be moved ahead of others who aren't. My opinion, your opinion, we are all entitled to our own.

Of course the crew makes the decisions I just personally feel it's selfish to expect to be moved ahead of a guest that booked Aqua FOR BLU no matter who made the reservation. We stay in suites so I'm not speaking as an Aqua guest....Luminae is for suites, Blu is for Aqua, and yes occasionally some of each may dine in the MDR, but again it is based on availability not at someone's whim. Just because you are in a suite does not mean you should be moved ahead of others who aren't. My opinion, your opinion, we are all entitled to our own.

I haven't actually expressed an opinion. I've just stated facts.

Suite guests book knowing they have the option of Luminae, Blu and the MDR available to them. Aqua gusts book knowing that they have Blu and the MDR available to them and may be sharing Blu with sute guests.

You mention queues to get into Blu. I was one of the posters describing very poor service on Summit due to a lack of one somellier and four wait staff (This came from the Blu maitre 'd) previously. Celebrity should address their resource issues and ensure there are sufficient wait staff to cover all of their dining venues in a timely manner so that cruisers get the service they paid for. It is not the fault of suite pax who may wish to make reservation at Blu, but the management in Miami responsible for cutbacks in staff over the years.

All that said, the reality is the vast majority of pax consider Luminae to be a much nicer experience to Blu and the MDR so it's not much of an issue anyway as the number of suite pax who dislike Luminae seems to be very small.

The only thing suite pax shouldn't do is just show up and assume they'll be seated immediately.

I am not remembering pre-Luminae days in Blu. My only Aqua experience was last summer. We were handed a pager every night but one, regardless of the time we turned up. We tried to arrive when we expected the masses would be leaving for the show, to no avail. We never had short waits, and we were not the only Aqua diners having this experience. I’m confident that there was a caste system at work. Based on my observations and conversations with fellow diners, I believe Aqua guests who were “regulars” on that ship (Summit) and Suite guests were given the run of Blu while those of us new to the ship were given pagers and long waits. Regardless of the opinions of the staunch Blu defenders, that was my experience.

I certainly hope the food in Luminae is better than Blu, because we didn’t think the food was much better than the food we’d had the MDR. The ambiance was more tranquil in Blu, and the service was more attentive (though spotty). There was more space between tables, but tables for two were still quite close together. Overall, we’d rather splash out on a suite, and try Luminae for the first time, than pay a premium for Blu only to be frustrated and disappointed again.

Edited by Silkroad
clarification

All that said, the reality is the vast majority of pax consider Luminae to be a much nicer experience to Blu and the MDR so it's not much of an issue anyway as the number of suite pax who dislike Luminae seems to be very small.

The only thing suite pax shouldn't do is just show up and assume they'll be seated immediately.

I certainly agree about how good Luminae is….but read Silkroad's post below, with his experience on an "M" class ship in Aqua, which was my point. Apparently they can't handle Aqua guests let alone adding in the mix of some suite guests...…...I don't know about the "caste" system statement, but certainly with Blu being much smaller on "M" class ships all Aqua guests should be given priority over any suite guest. What I think doesn't matter, Celebrity will do what they want, but it's how I feel.

I DO agree with your statement that they need to staff accordingly....perhaps if that was done on all ships this conversation would be moot.

I am not remembering pre-Luminae days in Blu. My only Aqua experience was last summer. We were handed a pager every night but one, regardless of the time we turned up. We tried to arrive when we expected the masses would be leaving for the show, to no avail. We never had short waits, and we were not the only Aqua diners having this experience. I’m confident that there was a caste system at work. Based on my observations and conversations with fellow diners, I believe Aqua guests who were “regulars” on that ship (Summit) and Suite guests were given the run of Blu while those of us new to the ship were given pagers and long waits. Regardless of the opinions of the staunch Blu defenders, that was my experience.

We have recently returned from Reflection and each time we went to Blu we were seated straight away, although we did not eat there every night we were given a seat in the same area when we did. We usually go for dinner between 8 pm and 8.30 pm.

Wouldn't it be great IF when suite guests dine in BLU--(thereby taking a table which was for AQ booked pax) that the next AQ diners are offered the other table in Luminae IF they would like to dine there??? ;p The kitchen/servers would have the same number of tables to handle

I certainly hope the food in Luminae is better than Blu, because we didn’t think the food was much better than the food we’d had the MDR. The ambiance was more tranquil in Blu, and the service was more attentive (though spotty). There was more space between tables, but tables for two were still quite close together. Overall, we’d rather splash out on a suite, and try Luminae for the first time, than pay a premium for Blu only to be frustrated and disappointed again.

Pager every night on the Summit for Blu? I agree that is absolutely terrible. Furthermore I would agree that Suite guests should not dine in Blu under those circumstances.

If Celebrity does not have enough Blu capacity to support those staying in AC cabins, then Celebrity should convert some of those cabins to a different category.

We have recently returned from Reflection and each time we went to Blu we were seated straight away, although we did not eat there every night we were given a seat in the same area when we did. We usually go for dinner between 8 pm and 8.30 pm.

Good to know. Better to stick to eating a later lunch if we can.

Wouldn't it be great IF when suite guests dine in BLU--(thereby taking a table which was for AQ booked pax) that the next AQ diners are offered the other table in Luminae IF they would like to dine there??? ;p The kitchen/servers would have the same number of tables to handle

Interesting perspective. But suite guests are actually allowed to dine in Blu by the rules. But Aqua guests do and should get priority when Blu is busy. So this is not a take-away from Aqua guests by Suite guests. I really doubt that a lot of suite guests leave Luminae and dine in Blu. Maybe just to try it once. The issue with waiting lines in Blu and pagers is really with other Aqua guests all arriving at peak dining times.

Interesting perspective. But suite guests are actually allowed to dine in Blu by the rules. But Aqua guests do and should get priority when Blu is busy. So this is not a take-away from Aqua guests by Suite guests. I really doubt that a lot of suite guests leave Luminae and dine in Blu. Maybe just to try it once. The issue with waiting lines in Blu and pagers is really with other Aqua guests all arriving at peak dining times.

Or dining with friends staying in AC, but what you say is true.

Silkroad said that on the Summit they were given a pager and forced to wait for dinner no matter what time they arrived. Therefore it does not sound like only a peak time issue on the Summit. I will admit that I have not previously heard this board statement from any other cruiser. Perhaps there was sometime unusual about their particular cruise.

Or dining with friends staying in AC, but what you say is true.

Silkroad said that on the Summit they were given a pager and forced to wait for dinner no matter what time they arrived. Therefore it does not sound like only a peak time issue on the Summit. I will admit that I have not previously heard this board statement from any other cruiser. Perhaps there was sometime unusual about their particular cruise.

When we cruised Summit last December you'd get a seat if you arrived just before or as they were opening the doors. Arrive 20 minutes late (Not peak time) and you'd be given a beeper. The issue was a lack of staff.

As suite pax know they are allowed to dine in Blu and may have booked this cruise two years before the Blu restaurant on Summit had resourcing issues, I think it is unfair to say that suite pax should not be allowed to use it. The issue is with Celebrity management who simply need to hire more staff. As I stated in a previous post, the maitre 'd admitted he was a sommelier and four waiters down. Some of the staff working there had been drafted in from Cafe El Bachio and the staff's own restaurants below deck. Not their fault, but their lack of experience also slowed down service.

The same can be said about bartender staff. The same ship did not have enough bar staff to serve people in a timely manner also.