Infinite Veranda on Celebrity Constellation - we loved it!

wendyam76

DW likes to sleep in; I'm an early riser. Is it possible somehow for me to get out on the veranda without disturbing her and then closing the blind ? I think I know the answer already.y

Unfortunately not the way it is on Constellation. BUT maybe they will have learned from it and changed it for Edge. The blind is on the window.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wish I had known about that prior to my recent B2B on the Connie. I've actually stayed in that cabin before. Oh well. I won't be booking anything on the Edge unless the prices descend dramatically from the stratosphere. As another poster stated, MSC Yacht Club is half the price. Booked for next year.

Happy Cruiser, you were actually part of a discussion in an earlier thread I was on. I loved the details you gave on Constellation. I remember you had asked, I think the Hotel Director about the room, and he didn’t seem to think it even existed and I said I hoped it would as I was staying in it. I booked the stateroom specifically for this reason about a year ago.

We were on the Summit 2 weeks ago. A Hotel Officer let us know there is a sample of the new cabins also on the Summit. She did not tell us where or if it was the new infinite veranda & now I wish we did!

She helped us take a family photo then we got to talking. She actually took notes on our suggestions for the family corner veranda we were in (door bell, 3 twin beds instead of the pullout couch in the 2nd room, split bath and connecting to the concierge room on either side for extended families).

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We were on the Summit 2 weeks ago. A Hotel Officer let us know there is a sample of the new cabins also on the Summit. She did not tell us where or if it was the new infinite veranda & now I wish we did!

She helped us take a family photo then we got to talking. She actually took notes on our suggestions for the family corner veranda we were in (door bell, 3 twin beds instead of the pullout couch in the 2nd room, split bath and connecting to the concierge room on either side for extended families).

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Oh I wonder if they could be models for the Summit refit? We always think to ask too late don’t we!

Wendy

Unfortunately not the way it is on Constellation. BUT maybe they will have learned from it and changed it for Edge. The blind is on the window.

I was afraid of that. That is extremely limiting. I love reading on the veranda at night with the door closed behind me and the curtain drawn. That won't be possible on the Edge and that, for me, is a real problem. Same in the morning when I would part the curtain and sneak out on the veranda without bothering my wife. I know I'm not alone in this. The good thing is we're taking a seven day cruise and if we can't live with it, we'll (painfully) cancel the TA on which we got such a fantastic price. Suddenly, regular verandas have special appeal

I can't wait for the reviews to start flowing in December/ January.

I was afraid of that. That is extremely limiting. I love reading on the veranda at night with the door closed behind me and the curtain drawn. That won't be possible on the Edge and that, for me, is a real problem. Same in the morning when I would part the curtain and sneak out on the veranda without bothering my wife. I know I'm not alone in this

Oh I understand and I would miss that on Caribbean cruises - on a European cruise like the one we were on I was so exhausted I never had time at night to read. So hope Celebrity have listened to people’s ideas.

We had this room last October in the Med. While it did extend the room, I too did not like that one person could not be out on balcony while other rested. it was so dark with curtain closed that we usually slept with window open as a/c wasn’t strong enough for us. Had a small bird visit one day. I have booked The Edge but went with Subset Veranda not an infinity.

I was afraid of that. That is extremely limiting. I love reading on the veranda at night with the door closed behind me and the curtain drawn. That won't be possible on the Edge and that, for me, is a real problem. Same in the morning when I would part the curtain and sneak out on the veranda without bothering my wife. I know I'm not alone in this. The good thing is we're taking a seven day cruise and if we can't live with it, we'll (painfully) cancel the TA on which we got such a fantastic price. Suddenly, regular verandas have special appeal

I can't wait for the reviews to start flowing in December/ January.

You are absolutely not alone. We do the same thing. Sunset verandas or another ship for us.

We had this room last October in the Med. While it did extend the room, I too did not like that one person could not be out on balcony while other rested. it was so dark with curtain closed that we usually slept with window open as a/c wasn’t strong enough for us. Had a small bird visit one day. I have booked The Edge but went with Subset Veranda not an infinity.

Did any Celebrity employee ask for your opinion of the cabin? I can't imagine that X would miss the opportunity to get input but I believe the OP was not asked. Why install the new setup and not "ask the man who owns one"

On the other “Revolution’ thread, one person posted how much the costs to upgrade would be spread over 10years and all the X cabins and the cost was pretty low. I checked prices of the Summit and Equinox this Fall, and the prices in 2019 Fall after the upgrades and the prices are prttty much in line with this year and with other comparable Lines. So no skyrocketing prices as of now. Can’t tell what will happen, X is a for-profit company, and I’m a stockholder!

And yes, Edge is more expensive, but on one shouldn’t be ‘shocked’ at what others would pay, its all very subjective. I look at the costs of some ‘luxury’ cruise line; at river cruisers; at staying in hotels (even Euro-type hotels) in cities to vacation; at prices in NYC.......and yup, it isn’t cheap. Some will pay the big increase in experience the Edge, others won’t. Life is great because of all the options, and we souldn’t be shocked by those differences.

I can go on an inexpensive cruise and there are fellow cruisers who are paying one heck of a lot for the same cruise, same itinerary, same entertainment, same pool (on X), etc, but they want a larger SR, and a more intimate and, I understand, an upgraded dining experience.

Den

Did any Celebrity employee ask for your opinion of the cabin? I can't imagine that X would miss the opportunity to get input but I believe the OP was not asked. Why install the new setup and not "ask the man who owns one"

Yes, while still on board we were given a survey to fill out by our room steward.

I sure wish I had talked to you before booking two cruises.;) I am not going to panic and I can't imagine canceling over this IF everything (and I mean EVERYTHING) else on the ship is wonderful. But for me this is a serious flaw,

I tried to upload a photo but couldn’t. If you look at original posters photos there are doors that close and make it more like a separate balcony. If they put shades or curtains on those doors you would still have that separation. Also remember the Constellation room was retrofitted into an existing space whereas the Edge is from scratch so there are bound to be improvements.

I tried to upload a photo but couldn’t. If you look at original posters photos there are doors that close and make it more like a separate balcony. If they put shades or curtains on those doors you would still have that separation. Also remember the Constellation room was retrofitted into an existing space whereas the Edge is from scratch so there are bound to be improvements.

That’s exactly what some of us were saying on another thread (in the Edge threads). I certainly hope Celebrity does install sliding curtains or drapes at those doors! If not, they’ve made the balcony space much less functional for two or more people sharing a cabin.

I was expecting a survey or to be asked by someone but nothing. At various Elite functions I mentioned I was staying in this room to some Officers. As Gilby-Joe and I are saying these are retrofitted so hopefully the Edge ones will have a shade or drop on the balcony doors.

Has it been fitted since last october?

Just to clarify,.???

Can you have the balc doors to the main area open all the time and the balc window closed without engaging the dark screen/ shade.?

Can you close or partially close the balc doors to the main area, and sit out on the balc with the window open or closed? If window closed, would there be AC or air circulation out there?

Are there varying darkness levels to the automatic shade or is it all or nothing`?

How does it work on a sunny day?

If we are in port or berthed next to another ship, we usually draw our curtains a bit or all the way for privacy.. I recall that.the curtains were two types, sheer to let light through and then the heavier layer for nightime..Seems like this option is not offered..our bed is by the balc so this will be impacted more so by the darkness shade..,If we had bed by bath, person napping could just turn and face away... We'll find out in January.,

Glad we booked and Sunset Veranda for our Nov cruise so we can compare..open versus Infinite balcs.

Edited by hcat

Yes you can have the balcony doors open all the time - I think I tried to move them once and then left them flush against the wall for the rest of the seven days. The balcony window can be open or closed without the shade. As soon as you want the shade the window has to be closed. BUT the shade doesn’t have to come down all the way. You control how far it comes down but there isn’t varying darkness levels to it.

You can easily open the balcony doors partially or fully (I just couldn’t be bothered) and have the window open or closed. I didn’t see/hear AC cutting out when the window was open or closed.

Hope this helps!

Wendy

Thanks so much for the quick response and helpfl answers,, You and a few others are the only resource,

We're looking forward to trying it out..dh will no doubt play with all the tech aspects of the cabin..I will just find a comfy zone and let it be!

Did you have all the other tech stuff too...the hi tech lighting and temp control, door access? Or just the balc?

Thanks so much for the quick response and helpfl answers,, You and a few others are the only resource,

We're looking forward to trying it out..dh will no doubt play with all the tech aspects of the cabin..I will just find a comfy zone and let it be!

Did you have all the other tech stuff too...the hi tech lighting and temp control, door access? Or just the balc?

I know I would have loved the details so I’m trying my best to return the favour for the tips I have gotten over the years. I travel with my 84 year old mum so I have to work it all out for her - honestly it was so much easier for her than heavy balcony doors. Two buttons for the window, up and down and then another two buttons doing the same for the shade. No other tech stuff but Constellation staterooms all have sea pass card touch door access - I think it’s called RFID (but I could be wrong) - you just touch the card to your door and it turns green so you can open it.

Wendy

I would encourage those reading this thread that have stayed in the sample Infinite Veranda cabin on Connie to give Celebrity immediate feedback as to their likes and dislikes in detail. This will help them make corrections before Edge and Edge-Class ships take on their first passengers late this year. It seems that the ability to use the balcony while your cabin-mate is sleeping is a very good thing to discuss with them. Thanks in advance!

I gave detailed feedback in the survey we were sent at the end of the cruise -I would have liked to have been asked onboard as well especially as we were doing a back to back. I keep looking at the photos of the Edge as it is going through its final stages!

Wendy

I would encourage those reading this thread that have stayed in the sample Infinite Veranda cabin on Connie to give Celebrity immediate feedback as to their likes and dislikes in detail. This will help them make corrections before Edge and Edge-Class ships take on their first passengers late this year. It seems that the ability to use the balcony while your cabin-mate is sleeping is a very good thing to discuss with them. Thanks in advance!

Agree! It would also be helpful if those who have stayed in that cabin would post those likes/dislikes here. It’s only thanks to Wendy’s generous posts that we’ve been able to learn any concrete facts about this new cabin type. I’m sure others, like GilbyJoe, have valuable insights to add.