Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Five

CCHelp

Good morning  friends,  well, we got Christmas bonuses yesterday:classic_biggrin:,,,,have to go to the bank today! And after

all these years, my retirement is now just over 2 weeks away!!!!!

• Like 4

54 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Good morning  friends,  well, we got Christmas bonuses yesterday:classic_biggrin:,,,,have to go to the bank today!   And after all these years, my retirement is now just over 2 weeks away!!!!!

Great to know, Lois, that your retirement is getting so close!!  BUT, in taking that big Christmas bonus check to the bank, we have a question!!  Do you need our bank transfer numbers in order to share all of that money with us folks at the Cooler??   We are happy to share your "burden" and lessen the amount you need to pay in taxes.  Hint!  Hint!!

Is your medical recovery continuing to progress?  Are you taking it easy and pacing your activities accordingly?

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

AFRICA?!!?: Fun, interesting visuals, plus travel details from this early 2016 live/blog. At 47,918 views. Featuring Cape Town, South Africa’s coast, Mozambique, Victoria Falls/Zambia and Botswana's famed Okavango Delta.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2310337

Hi Terry, no sharing :classic_biggrin:..sorry!   I did run some errands today...not nearly as painful as it has been so I guess

I am getting better each day. Still sore for sure but I suppose that is normal. One of my friends at work reminded

me it may have been "outpatient" but it was still surgery and it will take time for everything to heal in full. It has

only been just over 2 weeks.  Just staying home the rest of the weekend.

On ‎12‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 8:14 AM, brumagin1 said:

Lois,

I am glad you seem to be healing well.   I had recent surgery with a plastic surgeon.  She strongly recommends using coconut oil on the healing incision and surrounding area.  It’s usually available in the baking area or natural foods area at the supermarket, and looks a lot like Crisco.  She says it is much better than Vitamin E because after a while the Vitamin E oil can irate the skin and cause redness.   My incision is healing nicely, and seems to me to be healing more quickly than I would have expected.

Hope your last days before retirement go quickly, and that you enjoy the holiday season.

Hi, I just wanted to let you know I decided to get some coconut oil today. I was at Bed, Bath & Beyond (LOVE THAT

STORE) and they had a few choices. You are right, it sort of looks like the old Crisco LOL....anyway, took a bit

and massaged around the area but my incision is still covered with tape and they told me not to take that off--

it will eventually come off on its own.  Anyway, that hardness had been reducing and maybe this will help

even more.

• Like 1

You would not be able to see my scar (which I don't really care about to be honest). I am hoping the oil is going to

work for the reducing of the hardness I have felt around the area. (helping to reduce it). I know it may sound weird

but when you haven't had surgery you really don't know what to expect while recovering. Maybe it doesn't

sound weird after all.....if you haven't experienced something then you wouldn't know....(not you personally)

but anyone really.

Hello all, Haven't been around much but did enjoy a wonderful time on Whisper in November.  Missed meeting Master Echo.  Booked another Whisper cruise to the ABC's for November 2021.  Seabourn Encore to the Middle East in May 2020 and sending many thanks to Terry for recommending excellent tour guides.

Tomorrow is move day and OF COURSE it's supposed to snow/sleet/rain.  Losing internet in the morning until it can be hooked up at new place on Tuesday.  Fingers crossed that all goes well.

Missy

• Like 1

Hi friends, I have some more health news....I saw my Hematologist today and he works with an Oncologist

and they both suggest I have radiation---they told me it can decrease the chance of the cancer coming back

by 50% so it sort of it is a no brainer.   I will be able to sail next month and can start the radiation when I come

back--it will be for about 4-5 weeks...….5 days a week but they said it is only about 5 minutes per day. At least

I won't have to worry about taking off work!!!!!!

16 hours ago, Lois R said:

Hi friends, I have some more health news....I saw my Hematologist today and he works with an Oncologist and they both suggest I have radiation---they told me it can decrease the chance of the cancer coming back by 50% so it sort of it is a no brainer.   I will be able to sail next month and can start the radiation when I come

back--it will be for about 4-5 weeks...….5 days a week but they said it is only about 5 minutes per day. At least I won't have to worry about taking off work!!!!!!

Best to Lois as her medical process progresses.  My expertise in these areas is zero, but it sounds like you are moving in the smart, appropriate, right direction.  Keep up the good work!!  Hope the move by mysty goes well.  

WEATHER??:  Parts of the Midwest have been getting snow.  Lots of it!!  Below is the look out our front door this morning in going down to our ravine-area roadway.  Looks nice, but not the most perfect driving conditions.  Fortunately, I don't have travel this am, nor did our total snowfall add up to that large of a level.  Getting ready to head to Kansas City and central Kansas later this week for Christmas next week.  Weather and roads will be improved by that time.   

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

From late 2018, see “Holy Lands, Egypt, Jordan, Oman, Dubai, Greece, etc.”, with many visuals, details and ideas for the historic and scenic Middle East. Now at 16,967 views.  Connect at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2607054-livenautica-greece-holy-lands-egypt-dubai-terrypix’s/

IMG_4498.thumb.jpeg.ae727c3d7f4b79bf0900609ff2834348.jpeg

• Like 1

The snow looks beautiful Terry, always easy to say from here where we haven't seen the first snowflake yet.  Probably going to have the kind of white Christmas here Mysty posted, will make sure there's sufficient sauvignon blanc in house for expected company.  Lois, glad you have a cruise coming up, and best wishes for the radiation routine.  5 days a week sounds suspiciously like going back to work!

Hi Coolers! Busy here. Completed the week/weekend on call without too many disasters, and now getting ready to be away for this weekend - have to make sure Chris's Dad is tucked in before we go to Antarctica in two weeks. 

20191219_182642.thumb.jpg.1b2028ad40339e601370e68751133842.jpg

We are sipping a nice Carmenere which we brought back from Chile in January to prepare for our upcoming visit to Santiago pre-cruise. But soon we will have to clean the fish tank. Ugh.

I miss Jeff and his food pictures, so I will post one in his honor. To go with the nice heavy Chilean red wine that we opened tonight, I made a short rib ragu.

20191219_182328.thumb.jpg.046f14dc3015785fbc066fe1d8f336f8.jpg

I started last night by searing them in the instant pot, then pressure cooking them for an hour with onions and broth, then letting them slow cook overnight. This morning they went in the fridge to cool. After work I skimmed the fat, then shredded the meat and added it to some sauteed mushrooms and garlic, along with tomato paste and a bunch of broth from the instant pot. Right before serving, some grated garlic and parsley to liven it up.

20191219_182614.thumb.jpg.95aaa342527e9ec655104c4bf18a159c.jpg

And some grated cheese to finish. Voila! Super tasty and not that much effort.

Edited by jpalbny
  • Like 3

47C (116F) all afternoon here today.

Now 8pm and 39C (102F). Lots of fires around the country.

Our garden has suffered from the hot north wind. Tomorrow will be cooler thank goodness. Hopefully the plants will recover. 

We are off to Melbourne for our family Christmas and thank goodness the forecast is for 26c (about 80F). 

Am pleased it won’t be as hot!

Hard to imagine a White Christmas!