Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Five

CCHelp

Thanks Spins. The main difference that I can see are the 2 sea days on the 11 night and none on the nine but is the 11 night with all the ports named going to be a different cruise to the 9 night which just says cruising Northern/ Southern region? Here are the links below.

Many thanks

https://www.silversea.com/destinations/cruises-arctic-greenland/reykjavik-to-longyearbyen-e4200610011.html

https://www.silversea.com/destinations/cruises-arctic-greenland/longyearbyen-to-tromso-e4200621009.html

12 hours ago, jpalbny said:

Hi JP. Great trip,

12 hours ago, jpalbny said:

Good ones, M!

Especially relevant while we are on a Silversea cruise. Lots of food and wine everywhere we look. 

Finished South Georgia yesterday with two great landings. We got very lucky with the weather these past 3 days and landed a total of 4 times. What a cool destination. 

Now in the Drake, headed towards Antarctica. Rough seas overnight but should get calmer as the day progresses. Two sea days to look forward to. 

Internet is very slow. Pictures take forever to upload. But having a great time regardless. 

Hi JP, love to follow your trip. We will be in the Cloud next May from Dublin to Reykjavik. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Daveywavey70 said:

Thanks Spins. The main difference that I can see are the 2 sea days on the 11 night and none on the nine but is the 11 night with all the ports named going to be a different cruise to the 9 night which just says cruising Northern/ Southern region? Here are the links below.

Many thanks

https://www.silversea.com/destinations/cruises-arctic-greenland/reykjavik-to-longyearbyen-e4200610011.html

https://www.silversea.com/destinations/cruises-arctic-greenland/longyearbyen-to-tromso-e4200621009.html

Our cruise went from Bergen to longyearbyen. It was 12 days. 

We visited Geiranger, Alesund, island of Runde, Trondheim, Leknes, tromso, bear island and Svalbard.

The itineraries you are considering are very different and both look fabulous. Do both!

We also were on the Explorer, a very small ship. However we were in a large suite.

I will upload some photos. 

We had a fantastic time.

That's wonderful Lois, know how excited we get when the clock gets down to so few days, and like thinking you're feeling that now!  Wishing you a wonderful cruise!

On a totally unrelated topic, as I enjoy following those cruising in Antarctica, I have what may be a really stupid question.  Thought I might ask it in their thread, but felt safer being stupid here 😀.  What happens to time zones close to the north and south poles?  I was trying to figure out what time it was for them, then pictured the globe with time zone separators converging, and realized I have no clue.

Hi,:classic_smile: it is not a stupid question at all. I am usually pretty good with time zones but I have no clue what it is in Antarctica or anywhere they are traveling on this trip. I guess I could google it but maybe

one of our wiser cooler's know the answer.

• Like 1

Que Sera Sera the time zones do converge but, especially in The Antarctic Peninsula, the land is quite a way north of the Pole so the zones are distinct.  I believe Antarctic Peninsula is GMT -3 like Argentina to the north.  

Edited by 57 varieties
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Good morning from warm Florida---I live in the Northern part of the state and usually JAN/FEB are the coldest months but we are having a very funky weather system--it is supposed to be 80 today!!!!!

It should be about 65 this time of year.

Spins, what is the weather doing in South Florida?

I am doing a load of laundry and then will start to get my clothing together for packing.:classic_biggrin:  I think I will be changing

out some stuff. 

Tomorrow I have another Oncology Appt and it is going to be a set up for the radiation.  So, once I come

back from the cruise I will start the actual treatments.   

Then I fly out on Wednesday. I am really looking forward to this cruise.:classic_biggrin:

Oh, anyone a college football fan? Terry? I am rooting for LSU tonight:classic_biggrin:

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, spinnaker2 said:

Lois

The weather is definitely weird.

Lots of clouds and showers, hot and humid.

Bet you are excited for your cruise!

ok...I am going to be re-thinking my wardrobe...….more shorts and capris...…..:classic_biggrin:

Yes, excited for sure!

21 hours ago, QueSeraSera said:

On a totally unrelated topic, as I enjoy following those cruising in Antarctica, I have what may be a really stupid question.  Thought I might ask it in their thread, but felt safer being stupid here 😀.  What happens to time zones close to the north and south poles?  I was trying to figure out what time it was for them, then pictured the globe with time zone separators converging, and realized I have no clue.

Not a silly question. The extreme seasonal variation in daylight hours makes it very challenging to conceptualize. If it's light for several months in a row, does it matter when midnight is?

From what I've read, most bases in the Antarctic just use the same time zone as the country they're affiliated with. Or something like that. 

Wikipedia has a map of time zones but I think they're largely arbitrary. 

As an aside, it was sunny today!

20200113_102914.thumb.jpg.ee6dc51ab47ab3532e798af79ac3dc0e.jpg

PS all of us on the Antarctica thread are nice. We won't bite. Feel free to ask there. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Lois R said:

Tomorrow I have another Oncology Appt and it is going to be a set up for the radiation.  So, once I come back from the cruise I will start the actual treatments.   

Then I fly out on Wednesday. I am really looking forward to this cruise.:classic_biggrin:

Oh, anyone a college football fan? Terry? I am rooting for LSU tonight:classic_biggrin:

Yes, am for LSU tonight in the College National Championship game.  Why?  Joe Burrow, the Louisiana State quarterback, grew up just 75 minutes southeast from where we live in Central Ohio.  This Heisman Trophy-winning QB is a graduate of Ohio State University, before deciding to do a graduate transfer to LSU where he had a better chance of being the starting signal-caller in 2018.  The rest is history.  Joe has become a household name across the country and in his Heisman speech, he helped raised more than a half-million-dollar for their local food bank in that part of our state that is more economically challenged.  Clemson, in my opinion, is too arrogant.  Like LSU better!! 

Our best for Lois with your exciting cruise and the upcoming medical treatments.  

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise from Copenhagen, July 2010, to the top of Europe. Wonderful scenic visuals with key tips. Live/blog at 238,392

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Hi Terry, I know all about Burrow and when he gave his acceptance speech at the Heisman Ceremony? I saw the story about how the local food bank had received over $500,000 worth of donations!

Amazing what good things people can do!

Joe's parents should be VERY proud!!!!

Oh, thank you for the good wishes. I appreciate them.:classic_smile:

On 1/13/2020 at 4:14 PM, jpalbny said:

PS all of us on the Antarctica thread are nice. We won't bite. Feel free to ask there. 

Agreed, I've seen it.  Seems like you all are having a wonderful cruise, couldn't happen to a nicer bunch of folks.

11 hours ago, Lois R said:

Good morning from Ft. Lauderdale😀

Have a lot of fun Lois!!  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1