Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Five

CCHelp

40 minutes ago, jpalbny said:

Good luck to all of our British coolers today! It seems like there wasn't much fanfare about it - here in the US, we heard much more about the deadlines that came and went without Brexit happening.

It's really only a small step. Of much more consequence are the negotiations which the UK and EU must now complete to define the status of each to the other and to agree a myriad of social, economic and security factors. 

Of particular concern to one part of the UK is the relationship of Northern Ireland to both GB and Ireland. Using disingenuous periphrastics the WA lays down a commitment to no border of any kind between GB and NI and between NI and Ireland. Yet only yesterday the government have conceded that checks between GB and NI will be inevitable and while duty free allowances between GB and Ireland will return after withdrawal from the Customs Union, those allowances will not be available between Ireland and NI. In other words, the UK will no longer be a Union of equals (it never has been in practical terms but the conceit has persisted) when one of the 4 constituent countries will de facto be subject to different custom regulations. 

I see that an opinion poll today shows, for the first time, that more people in Scotland support independence than support the Union. But unlike the Sovereign State of GB and NI, Scotland has no authority to determine its own future. 

So it's not the end, it's the end of the beginning and for the UK it might well be the beginning of the end. 

Edited by Tothesunset

Good morning Coolers....DW, sending my best to you and your countrymates as well.  I agree with

JP--not much fanfare about it over here.  We have been going through our own stupid mess:classic_blink::classic_rolleyes::classic_wacko::classic_angry:

and who knows what this will bring going forward.

1 hour ago, lincslady said:

We voted out - only just - because it seems that the EU is heading towards being one 'superstate', but would never denigrate  those who wanted to stay in.

The worst is yet to come, as TTS says.

Lola

I was a remainer, but only just.  What we voted for in 1973 was a 'common market', now it's trying to become a single state.  It's never been particularly democratic, though.  I thought the benefits of remaining slightly shaded leaving.  But the vote's done, we're leaving in 7 hours and 20 minutes, and one bonus is that my next passport will be blue!!

Completely off topic. Well ok there isn't a topic.

I am on Facebook because it permitted me to find ancestors and then communicate with several people in other countries as well as the USA. In the last few weeks I have been the recipient of the most graphic and horrific images. I have taken my FB down.

I cannot unsee What was sent to me.

7 minutes ago, spinnaker2 said:

Completely off topic. Well ok there isn't a topic.

I am on Facebook because it permitted me to find ancestors and then communicate with several people in other countries as well as the USA. In the last few weeks I have been the recipient of the most graphic and horrific images. I have taken my FB down.

I cannot unsee What was sent to me.

Hi Spins, I am probably one of the few people left who does not use FB...…..ever. Sorry you have gotten so many

bad things...……

3 hours ago, Lois R said:

Hi Spins, I am probably one of the few people left who does not use FB...…..ever. Sorry you have gotten so many

bad things...……

Me too - CC is the only place I post in 'public'.   I know if I did FB I could find out lots more about my grandson living in the US,   as he  uses it to keep in touch with friends and family over here, but really hate how the internet now seems to cause as much trouble and unpleasantness as knowledge and pleasure.  (I am basically just a grumpy old Luddite).

I can imagine how it feels if you are a vulnerable teenager being ridiculed by your so-called friends - it was bad enough in my day, when it would be just a bit of verbal stuff in the playground.  Agony for the sensitive soul.

Lola

3 hours ago, lincslady said:

Me too - CC is the only place I post in 'public'.   I really hate how the internet now seems to cause as much trouble and unpleasantness as knowledge and pleasure.  (I am basically just a grumpy old Luddite).

I'm glad there's still a few of us - I don't, never have and never will,  FB, tweet, twit, insta, etc.etc.

And I'm appalled and frightened by how fast false information spreads far and wide, and by how many people garner most of their 'news' from only one source, mostly Facebook. How dangerous.

And it seems impossible to fight it, didn't do the Luddites much good ... 

1 hour ago, jollyjones said:

I'm glad there's still a few of us - I don't, never have and never will,  FB, tweet, twit, insta, etc.etc.

I totally agree . . . the Twittersphere is such an unpleasant place.  Oh, I don't have a mobile phone either!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fletcher said:

I totally agree . . . the Twittersphere is such an unpleasant place.  Oh, I don't have a mobile phone either!

Hi, good morning.....oh, I do own a cell phone....I owned an old flip phone for many years before upgrading

but I am glad I did (to be totally honest).  Since I am on my own, the smart phone is a good thing for me.

Figure if something happens to me at least my phone has my "contacts" in it....my sister is the really

important one.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, mysty said:

Greetings Coolers!

Today's funny comes courtesy of Turtle (thank you)......somewhat timely.....

b015243e-9e32-4bf9-a88b-7fb44c414628-original.jpeg.7dbd5d7e9ad1bb3507f911333a58ff0c.jpeg

Have a great day all!

Good morning Mysty,:classic_biggrin: great post!!!!

• Thanks 1

On 1/31/2020 at 6:27 AM, Tothesunset said:

It's really only a small step. Of much more consequence are the negotiations which the UK and EU must now complete to define the status of each to the other and to agree a myriad of social, economic and security factors.  Of particular concern to one part of the UK is the relationship of Northern Ireland to both GB and Ireland. Using disingenuous periphrastics the WA lays down a commitment to no border of any kind between GB and NI and between NI and Ireland. Yet only yesterday the government have conceded that checks between GB and NI will be inevitable and while duty free allowances between GB and Ireland will return after withdrawal from the Customs Union, those allowances will not be available between Ireland and NI. In other words, the UK will no longer be a Union of equals (it never has been in practical terms but the conceit has persisted) when one of the 4 constituent countries will de facto be subject to different custom regulations.  I see that an opinion poll today shows, for the first time, that more people in Scotland support independence than support the Union. But unlike the Sovereign State of GB and NI, Scotland has no authority to determine its own future. So it's not the end, it's the end of the beginning and for the UK it might well be the beginning of the end. 

Appreciate the above and other posts of background and details regarding the UK split from the Euro "bosses" in Brussels, etc.  Understand there are many serious questions and concerns on both sides.  Did the sun rise in London and the UK today?  Below is a sampling of the headline and visuals from the London/UK Daily Mail this morning.  Will read additional news coverage from Times, Guardian, etc., newspapers to see how this official split is being reported.  The "twists" for Northern Ireland is an angle that does not get much coverage here in the U.S.  Keep us the informative sharing about this issue from all in the UK here at the Cooler.  It helps me better understand the "cross-currents" over this key economic and cultural challenge.

Link to below Daily Mail story:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7954151/Got-Brexit-UK-finally-leaves-EU-Britons-country-celebrate.html.

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Sydney to NZ/Auckland Adventure, live/blog 2014 sampling/details with many exciting visuals and key highlights.  On page 23, post #571, see a complete index for all of the pictures, postings.  Now at 228,885 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

Headline and visuals from Daily Mail this morning.:

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see this visual larger/better!)

500498436_ScreenShot2020-02-01at8_12_39AM.thumb.png.0fa9bc0da1690df63c355ff1d598ba32.png

18 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Good morning Mysty,:classic_biggrin: great post!!!!

YES, great and super fun post by Mysty about Facebook.  Plus, interesting comments and insights from Spins and others.  I don't do Facebook.  Lots of issues there, including how you get sucked into to spending too, too much time there.   But, that can happen with Cruise Critic??!!  Lots of questions to consider.  Yes, I have an iPhone and enjoy being connected for emails, checking the web, looking up info, following sports scores, etc.  

For Candy/Spins, the big, BIG Super Bowl will be down your way tomorrow in South Florida.  Attending?  Probably not.  Tickets are expensive and hard to get.  Like both of the Kansas City and San Francisco teams.  Should be a great pro football game with lots of interesting angles, stars and TV commercials!!

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise from Copenhagen, July 2010, to the top of Europe. Wonderful scenic visuals with key tips. Live/blog at 238,580

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

17 hours ago, jollyjones said:

I went out and had a look around but I'm not staying out till 11pm. Not much going on yet - it's Friday night, everyone's still in the pub.

And it's Britain. It's raining. Of course.

It was 11pm as Europe is 1 hour ahead of, thus it happened at midnight on the continent. Hence the apparently weird time.

As for the Daily Mail, well!  It's a racist, homophobic rag that I won't give house room to!  Like much of the UK press, it's been against the EU.  I notice it didn't mention the vigils for the pro EU people that went on around the country.  It's going to be a bumpy ride folks, hold on to your hats!  Mind you, we'll survive, we always do!!