Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Five

CCHelp

3 hours ago, besberry said:

As for the Daily Mail, well!  It's a racist, homophobic rag that I won't give house room to!  Like much of the UK press, it's been against the EU.  I notice it didn't mention the vigils for the pro EU people that went on around the country.  It's going to be a bumpy ride folks, hold on to your hats!  Mind you, we'll survive, we always do!! 

Appreciate these additional views, perspective, comments and follow-ups regarding the Brexit break-up and the future.  Per above, agree, that different people have varied views as to the media and how the view their quality/trust.  Or, not??!!  Below is a contrast of the more liberal Guardian versus The Times.  Many good and serious questions as to how this "ALL" of this will affect the future for those in the UK.  Good challenge as to how the UK holds and stays together during the coming years and decades.  

Full stories at:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/live/2020/feb/01/brexit-britain-wakes-up-to-uncertain-future-after-uk-leaves-eu-live-news-and-updates

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/britain-says-goodbye-to-the-eu-w7x369w7f

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Barcelona/Med: June 2011, with stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Great visuals with key highlights, tips, etc. Live/blog now at 250,430 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

From the Guardian and Times below are a couple different, contrasting views of Brexit and how it is hitting in the UK.  In red is the Guardian's negative view of Brexit.  Second was a Times visual.:

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see these pictures larger/better!)

1987105026_ScreenShot2020-02-01at10_34_09AM.thumb.png.6064ac4d670aa77f08f0f56916457fb5.png

1752415248_ScreenShot2020-02-01at1_14_37PM.thumb.png.33a4475583f4006c7ec93b19e672f468.png

On 1/31/2020 at 8:43 PM, spinnaker2 said:

Completely off topic. Well ok there isn't a topic.

I am on Facebook because it permitted me to find ancestors and then communicate with several people in other countries as well as the USA. In the last few weeks I have been the recipient of the most graphic and horrific images. I have taken my FB down.

I cannot unsee What was sent to me.

Sorry to hear that, Spins. It was nice seeing you there, if only for a while.

• Thanks 1

Good morning friends...….SuperBowl Sunday:classic_biggrin:.....I have been a football fan my

whole life and really looking forward to tonight's game. Go CHIEFS:classic_biggrin:

Well, I am still searching for the best way to get to the airport for my April trip. Pricing

out car companies.  I have never used UBER...…..I know many folks do but my trips

are usually shorter and I leave my car at the airport.   Anyone heard of the company

called Ztrip? I think it is the same type as UBER but you can actually call them on

the phone...….isn't UBER strictly via ap...….anyway, I called Z trip and they said

it would run about 50.00 from where I live to the airport.  I may ask my friend

who I worked with (she  helped with my surgery back in Nov) and may ask if

she would take me to the airport (I will pay her) and then when I get home

in May will just take a cab.

2 hours ago, Camillus112 said:

I stand with you all the way!  God help us.  

Hi Cam.…….me too.....me too...…...the next 9 months? OMG...…..help us all.

22 hours ago, Tothesunset said:

The UK as we know it is less than a century old. 

Yep, it is, though some of the constituent parts are over a thousand years old.  (Probably just English arrogance to the Scots!!).  Either way we survived before and we'll survive this.  What sort of state we'll be in I don't know.  In the meantime I'm off on my first Silversea cruise next week and I'm going to enjoy every minute.  I'll be gutted if I don't see any blue-footed boobies, though!  Onward and upward.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, besberry said:

Yep, it is, though some of the constituent parts are over a thousand years old.  (Probably just English arrogance to the Scots!!).  Either way we survived before and we'll survive this.  What sort of state we'll be in I don't know.  In the meantime I'm off on my first Silversea cruise next week and I'm going to enjoy every minute.  I'll be gutted if I don't see any blue-footed boobies, though!  Onward and upward.

Appreciate these above background comments and the follow-up about the long and unique history history related to the UK.  Lots of tangles and twists over the centuries during those one thousand years. Follow closely and am interest in always learning more abou the UK.   

In the U.S., many are looking to see how the Iowa Caucus results come in Monday night.  Saturday, I spent some time with a key person who was working out in Iowa for six weeks leading up to that 2008 Iowa campaign judgement night.  Most do not realize how totally different and unique is the Iowa "process" . . . versus . . . a conventional Primary as will happen in New Hampshire, South Carolina, California, etc.

Saw the mention about your upcoming first Silversea cruise.  With the mention of the blue-footed boobies, are you going to the Galápagos Islands?  Sorry, had not remembered your earlier posts on this subject.  Assume this will be on the current SS explorer ship, not the new Silver Origin that will start sailing later this summer??  We are booked for a late January 2021 Galápagos Islands sailing.  Hope you post a wide range of details about how Silversea does these scenic islands, the food, staff quality, best highlights, etc., etc.  Don't be shy in sharing as much as is possible with us here at the Cooler.  Both as you travel, plus after your adventure. Good luck with this cruise.     

AFRICA?!!?: Fun, interesting visuals, plus travel details from this early 2016 live/blog. At 48,568 views. Featuring Cape Town, South Africa’s coast, Mozambique, Victoria Falls/Zambia and Botswana's famed Okavango Delta.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2310337

Per AccuWeather, here is the current and upcoming weather in Central Ohio.  This afternoon has been totally sunny, beautiful and excellent.  Why spend the money to be in Florida now?  But as indicated, snow will be coming on Wednesday.  Strange weather cycles??!!  Even with this better local weather, we are still departing this coming Saturday for New Zealand and the South Pacific.:

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see this visual larger/better!)

914534623_ScreenShot2020-02-02at4_01_02PM.thumb.png.89402d3a4df79d6ba842cf20ed805160.png

Edited by TLCOhio

19 minutes ago, spinnaker2 said:

Ok y'all.

It's 45 F in South Florida. That's ridiculously chilly.

Pity for all the superfans expecting warm and balmy.

But at least the KC Chiefs won.

Remember Jan Stenerud and Gene Trosch??

Good morning...it is in the 40s up here too...….

I remember Jan and how about Len Dawson, Otis Taylor and Bobby Bell.....and one of the most

famous clips of the late Hank Stram on the sidelines when they won their first Super Bowl 50 YEARS AGO!

It's OK, Lois and Spins. The halftime show probably warmed everyone up just fine... 

Quite the comeback by KC! Was almost ready to give up after that second pick with maybe 10 minutes to go. They woke up at the right time. Glad Andy Reid finally has a SB ring.

For dinner yesterday, I wanted wings but they are at least $3 a pound. So I made a chicken wing recipe with drumsticks, as they are about 1/4 the price of wings these days. Baked them until crispy, then coated with the sauce and baked a little more.

20200202_163036.thumb.jpg.f8a0f0296b2797182e3a95b88d04ee22.jpg

Sauce was ketchup, rice vinegar, soy sauce, honey, and gochujang. Delicious! 

Edited by jpalbny

43 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Good morning...it is in the 40s up here too...….I remember Jan and how about Len Dawson, Otis Taylor and Bobby Bell.....and one of the most famous clips of the late Hank Stram on the sidelines when they won their first Super Bowl 50 YEARS AGO!

Sorry to hear about the cooler weather down in Florida.  Nice and sunny now in Central Ohio.  Loving the sunshine here today!!.  

Yes, big comeback win by the Kansas City Chiefs.  Have memories back to when that team was in Dallas before th AFL-NFL merger.  Remember Hank Stram, Len Dawson, etc., well.  My best memory connected with that team deals with meeting and talking with owner Lamar Hunt two different times when he was in Columbus, Ohio, when he owned the Major League Soccer team here.  It was in the late 1990's.  Biggest impression?  It was about what a low-key, high-class gentleman was Mr. Hunt.  Anything but what you might expect from a super-rich Texan who owned big-time sports operations.  Totally down-to-earth and so very "regular" and normal in every way possible.  Kind of like the small-town, Main Street business owner you might meet in church on Sunday in the 1960's.  Lamar Hunt was huge in the history of the NFL and it is nice that his family now gets to enjoy this wonderful Super Bowl win.  When we go out to central Kansas at Christmas time to visit my wife's brother/family, we always drive by KC's Arrowhead Stadium and enjoy our time in Kansas City.  Nice connections and memories!! 

As to the half-time show??  My wife (and others) were turned-off by too much "butt-shaking", plus JLo's pole-dancing and crotch-scratching, etc.  I did not complain, but I am sure some parents with smaller children at home watching did not exactly like that type of TV showing off at this time in the evening.  JLo's daughter was super cute and nice!!

Lisbon, NWSpain, Bordeaux/Brittany: Live/blog, June 2017 from Portugal to France along scenic Atlantic Coast.  Now at 30,217 views.  Many interesting pictures, details for history, food, culture, etc.:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2511358

18 hours ago, TLCOhio said:

Good luck with this cruise.     

Thanks Terry.  Yes I'm on Silver Galapagos.  It's the top of my bucket list.. I did Machu Picchu (Number 2 on the list) last August and it's one of my best ever holidays, so the Islands have a lot to live up to.  I'm sure they will.

10 hours ago, jpalbny said:

For dinner yesterday, I wanted wings but they are at least $3 a pound. So I made a chicken wing recipe with drumsticks, as they are about 1/4 the price of wings these days.

Costco in our neck of the wood had a sale on chicken wings over the weekend...so spicy truffle honey garlic wings for dinner. And a side of crispy brussel sprouts with caramelized onions...

929C2306-6464-43F5-BE2C-CE79C28919B3.jpeg

F4907B2F-6ABC-4D54-9EA9-9886027570DA.jpeg

94B4EADE-45FD-453A-923B-6289A0896988.jpeg

• Like 2

Question for my traveling friends...….I turn 62 next month and wanted to take a cruise for my birthday but I just

did the Caribbean so I am thinking of going up to NYC for 3 or 4 nights instead.....and see 3 or 4 Broadway

shows:classic_biggrin:……...the last time I was in NYC was last April before my cruise on Azamara...…..one of the shows

was at the Schoenfeld Theater....right across from the Marriott Marquis...…..which has LOTS of theaters

all within walking distance...….it is not cheap but the location is fabulous:classic_smile:...…..has anyone stayed there

before? Just curious......

I would love to take another cruise but since it is only about 6 weeks away I am having a hard time finding one

I want to do (it would have to be going back on a big ship) and so...…..seeing shows on Broadway would

be awesome.:classic_biggrin:

Thoughts?

20 hours ago, besberry said:

Thanks Terry.  Yes I'm on Silver Galapagos.  It's the top of my bucket list.. I did Machu Picchu (Number 2 on the list) last August and it's one of my best ever holidays, so the Islands have a lot to live up to.  I'm sure they will.

Appreciate this follow-up and great to hear that you will be experiencing the Galapagos Islands.  Look forward to you sharing more from visiting this dramatic location that is also on our "must-set" list.  

As to Machu Picchu, how did that go in dealing with the high elevations there.  A good friend, much younger, had visited there in his mid 30's and found it very, very challenging.  Not sure my wife and me, in our early 70's, would do that well there.  Tell us more!!

From late 2018, see “Holy Lands, Egypt, Jordan, Oman, Dubai, Greece, etc.”, with many visuals, details and ideas for the historic and scenic Middle East. Now at 17,839 views.  Connect at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2607054-livenautica-greece-holy-lands-egypt-dubai-terrypix’s/