Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Five

CCHelp

Hi Lois - your cruise seems to have gone by quickly - sorry about your weather, it has been weird all over recently.  Some Spanish and French coastal towns have been devastated by storms in the Med.   Not what they are used to, even in winter. 

The best  news is you don't have to go back to work, and have another trip to look forward to,  pretty soon!😊

Lola

Thanks to those coolers who took some time to answer my question about Meghan and Harry. It is sure an interesting situation... 

We here in the US have some mixed feelings about the monarchy, as expected given those events back in the 1770s. Though many of us do keep an eye on what's going on, others say they really don't care what they do. I have always been intrigued by the history of the monarchy and was amused to find a number of them in my family tree, back 20+ generations. No worries, though, the current line of succession is not going to be threatened by me! Probably everyone else in Europe can trace their bloodline to some royal or another.

I think a lot of us in the US were charmed by Diana, and Charles definitely took the brunt of it when they separated. When Diana died, the boys became sympathetic figures and to an extent I think many still have a soft spot for William and Harry. Thus we wonder what happened to Harry, and why. Or at least, I do. 😄

Hi JP.....it was a pretty active topic on my cruise that is for sure...and I found this---cannot speak for everyone

of course but I found many folks on my sailing from the UK and they think the couple are both wrong....blaming

her more than him.

My view from Australia. Lots in the papers, both sympathetic and anti.

I think Harry was damaged by the death of his Mother and the way the paparazzi hounded her. He married someone strong and she was able to support his desire to escape the press. Not sure that they will ever be left alone though. 
I met Prince Charles on a visit to Australia 30 years ago and found him charming, but also saw the press chasing him and it wasn’t pretty!

Our country is still having problems with fires ( it’s early in our fire season) but things have settled in some of our Victorian countryside due to some much needed rain. Clear skies again. 
Wanted to let you know that there is a BIG Australia that is open for business unaffected by the fires. 

• Like 1

A good time to be here before it gets too hot. September / October is spring but can have a mix of weather.  It’s just heating up now after a few really hot days followed by nearly winter weather. 
WE are going in the opposite direction September/ October 2021, as we are booked on a Regent cruise, Vancouver to Tokyo, then Tokyo to Tokyo. I’m sure we will have some chilly weather. 

jp - I confess to having a soft spot for Harry too.  It is sad that a great deal of goodwill towards MM slowly evaporated when she did, unfortunately, show the signs of being extremely 'entitled' and did not have the good sense as do most of the other royals to be discreet about extravagances.  They obviously have a lot in common, as children of dysfunctional families, but I can't help feeling that he is more of a 'giver', and she a 'taker', as so often applies in couples.  I feel  it will end up with them living in the USA, and even not being together for all that long.  Just hope he visits the UK frequently to keep up with family and old friends.

I think the Queen will put a stop to the Sussex Royal name being used commercially.

19 hours ago, lincslady said:

Hi Lois - your cruise seems to have gone by quickly - sorry about your weather, it has been weird all over recently.  Some Spanish and French coastal towns have been devastated by storms in the Med.   Not what they are used to, even in winter. 

The best  news is you don't have to go back to work, and have another trip to look forward to,  pretty soon!😊

Lola

Hi Lola, I agree about the weather. Many said the recent earthquake in San Juan is a part of the problem in the waters

(which I do think is true).  But thanks for the welcome back:classic_smile:

I have a logistical question for everyone please. I leave here on April 5th---flying to Ft. Lauderdale for the crossing.

Then sailing for 16 nights....arriving in Barcelona---from there I fly to Lisbon and taking a river cruise on the

Douro with another 2 days in Madrid post cruise....I will be away for a total of 28 days. There is a 3 day

land trip in Lisbon before the actual cruise.

This is my question----I am trying to figure out what to do about my car.  I know all about paying my bills early,

having my mail held and letting my property manager (who I have known for a long time) that I will be away

for a month.  I am just not sure what to do with the car. I can use long  term parking (they have a covered  area)

but was just wondering if you think  the car sitting for so many days without starting it would affect it?  I always

drive myself to the airport but just wondering about how it is when those of you sail for such a long period in

one stretch?  If I took a cab from home to the airport--would have to do the same thing when returning home

on May 4th so in that case the car would be in my garage all month...…...

Your thoughts would be appreciated!

Lois

I use a car service. 

I don't want my car sitting at the airport or a long term parking lot  for a long period of time. If the battery were to go dead I figure it's easier to deal with from home than any other place where I might have luggage and be tired.

Hi Spins, I was having those same thoughts too..having them take me and then pick me up. I wish I had someone I trusted enough to have them keep my car for me.

Take me and bring me to and from the airport........but maybe trusting myself and leaving

it here at home would be the best thing...…...

Lois, I'd think that most cars can sit that long without running, no problem.

We have a convertible which sits in the garage all winter. I start it a few times but certainly not more than once a month. If we get a clear day with open roads we'll take it out in winter but some winters that never happens.

Lois, if your battery is on its last legs, then, as Spinnaker says, it is easiest to get it taken care of at home.  If you are really concerned with the battery, you could get a trickle charger and leave it connected when you are away.

We have a trickler for the sports car that spends the winter inside.  Another car is inside and the third outside in the snow for 3 or 4 weeks during our cruises, without any problems starting afterwards.  Jacksonville should be easier on your car.

ps: JP types faster than we do.

• Haha 1

Hi, not concerned about the battery really......actually, I got a new battery before the end of the year:classic_smile: just

more questioning leaving the car at the airport for a month...….

Lois

I think the charges for parking will offset the cost of having a driver.

At first we thought it was extravagant to have a driver. But now we realize how important it is for our well being. We aren't stressed trying to find a parking spot. We don't have to stress over dragging our luggage to and from  a terminal. 

I also have a trickle charger but never used it.

It's time to give it away!

OK....maybe a driver would be the best way to handle this----I can research car services quite easily.

Next, do you have any issues with water dissolving in your toilets while you are away for so long?...…...I have

had that happen when I am gone for 2 weeks......not sure what will happen for 28 days...………

I am going to sit down with the Property Manager(mentioned earlier)…..they have a key to my place (in

case of emergency) and maybe he can come in once a week and flush both toilets for me while I am away...…..

He is really nice and normally very helpful.

6 hours ago, lincslady said:

jp - I confess to having a soft spot for Harry too.  It is sad that a great deal of goodwill towards MM slowly evaporated when she did, unfortunately, show the signs of being extremely 'entitled' and did not have the good sense as do most of the other royals to be discreet about extravagances.  They obviously have a lot in common, as children of dysfunctional families, but I can't help feeling that he is more of a 'giver', and she a 'taker', as so often applies in couples.  I feel  it will end up with them living in the USA, and even not being together for all that long.  Just hope he visits the UK frequently to keep up with family and old friends.  I think the Queen will put a stop to the Sussex Royal name being used commercially.

Appreciate these various comments, insights and thoughts as to the future and background for Prince Harry and his actress wife.  Am catching up this morning at a busy Cooler.  Interesting situation where that now 38-year-old woman should have been mature enough to understand what type of situation and family she was joining.  Few secrets as to what was involved in marrying into such a well-publicized Royal family.   As always in marriage, there are also a variety of pro/con issues to consider.  Now the two of them and the rest of the family need to see how it "ALL" works out.  This includes that little "detail" called finances and who pays the bills for housing, travel, clothing, etc.  There are clearly challenges for managing the "good with the bad" as to the media, money, power, glory, attention, perks, jet-setting, homes/palaces, security, etc., etc.??!!  

Sorry for car batteries, my expertise is slim to none.  Good luck to Lois as she works out those details and plans for her next adventure.  

Right now, we are exactly two weeks till we depart for LAX on our way to New Zealand and getting on an Oceania ship to sail over 18-days from Auckland to Papeete/Tahiti.  Need to escape the Midwest winter and get some refreshing sunshine and warmth.   Prior to the start of this cruise on Feb. 17, we will travel by car with two nights each in Coromandel Town, Lake Taupo/Oreti Village and Cambridge (for Waitomo Glowworm Caves and Hobbiton Movie Set)???  Then, one night in Auckland before boarding the ship.  Any special tips from experienced travelers as to the must-sees for NZ's North Island before starting our South Pacific sailing.  In 2014, we did various NZ North Island exploring in Wellington, Napier/Hawke’s Bay and Cape Kidnappers/gannets, Tauranga-Rotorua/Maori culture, Bay of Islands/sailing and Auckland plus nearby Waiheke Island.  NZ suggestions for 2020??

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Sydney to NZ/Auckland Adventure, live/blog 2014 sampling/details with many exciting visuals and key highlights.  On page 23, post #571, see a complete index for all of the pictures, postings.  Now at 228,248 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

3 hours ago, Lois R said:

I have a logistical question for everyone please. I leave here on April 5th---flying to Ft. Lauderdale for the crossing.

Then sailing for 16 nights....arriving in Barcelona---from there I fly to Lisbon and taking a river cruise on the

Douro with another 2 days in Madrid post cruise....I will be away for a total of 28 days. There is a 3 day

land trip in Lisbon before the actual cruise.

This is my question----I am trying to figure out what to do about my car.  I know all about paying my bills early,

having my mail held and letting my property manager (who I have known for a long time) that I will be away

for a month.  I am just not sure what to do with the car. I can use long  term parking (they have a covered  area)

but was just wondering if you think  the car sitting for so many days without starting it would affect it?  I always

drive myself to the airport but just wondering about how it is when those of you sail for such a long period in

one stretch?  If I took a cab from home to the airport--would have to do the same thing when returning home

on May 4th so in that case the car would be in my garage all month...…...

Your thoughts would be appreciated!

Lois, not sure if this will help or not, but whenever I take long cruises (50+ days), I use a hire car to get me to the port.  I have a friend of mine on my car insurance (brought the cost down, amazingly).  She'll take the car out occasionally and then she'll bring the car to the port, I pay for her overnight hotel and then drive the car back (with her, I don't leave her there!!).  It works for me and she's a good friend!

14 minutes ago, besberry said:

Lois, not sure if this will help or not, but whenever I take long cruises (50+ days), I use a hire car to get me to the port.  I have a friend of mine on my car insurance (brought the cost down, amazingly).  She'll take the car out occasionally and then she'll bring the car to the port, I pay for her overnight hotel and then drive the car back (with her, I don't leave her there!!).  It works for me and she's a good friend!

Hi, appreciate your post for sure. I have a good friend that would help me but I am not asking her to do this because

it is a 5 hour drive from where I live to Ft. Lauderdale.  I am flying down (50 minute flight).  So will probably leave my

car here at home and get a car service to take me to the airport and then pick me up when I arrive back...….and

the itinerary is a bit different.  I am sailing from Ft. Lauderdale....but when I fly home, it is here to where I live,

Jacksonville ---flying home from Madrid.

2 hours ago, Lois R said:

Any thoughts about the water question? And I am using an educated guess here that you totally clean out the

frig before such a long trip.:classic_smile:

Do you mean dry toilet bowl due to evaporation and not leaks? If so, perhaps a plastic wrap on top?

Also not sure if you use the parking/emergency brake when you park your car...but if you do, you may want to consider releasing the parking brake and use a wheel chock instead...as prolonged engagement of the parking brake may result in the pad seizing.

33 minutes ago, rloke said:

Do you mean dry toilet bowl due to evaporation and not leaks? If so, perhaps a plastic wrap on top?

Also not sure if you use the parking/emergency brake when you park your car...but if you do, you may want to consider releasing the parking brake and use a wheel chock instead...as prolonged engagement of the parking brake may result in the pad seizing.

Hi, yes, referring to the evaporation......thanks for the tip. And not sure what you are explaining about the brake on

my car...I never use the emergency brake. Everything is flat here in Florida and The parking brake never needs to

be released because it is never locked.

1 hour ago, rloke said:

And here I thought that was only an April Fool's joke! 🤣

That should work, just don't forget to take the wrap off when you get home!

• Haha 2

37 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Hi, yes, referring to the evaporation......thanks for the tip. And not sure what you are explaining about the brake on

my car...I never use the emergency brake. Everything is flat here in Florida and The parking brake never needs to

be released because it is never locked.

No problem if you never engage the parking brake then...although in theory one should exercise the emergency brake once in a while just to make sure it works, so that it is there if you happen to need it...