Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Five

CCHelp

On 2/10/2021 at 3:11 PM, dusababy said:

I'll be so anxious to hear your opinion of Four Pillars.   I have the bottle in the freezer and plan to open at 5:30 PM tomorrow and share with a gin-loving guest.  Will let you know how it goes down.🤞

First sips are definitely tasty.

20210211_201839.thumb.jpg.a027629c748464a2c1562602e20b25e5.jpg

I picked the bottle up a few hours ago and chilled it. Served with Mediterranean tonic, a slice of homegrown Meyer lemon, and a bit of cheap lime from the store (our lime tree won't produce for at least another year).

I mix them strong, for sipping. 2 oz gin in each, with one bottle (6.8 oz) of tonic split between both drinks.

The four pillars smells like a traditional London dry, with a juniper nose. The taste is somewhat different though. There is a dominant refreshing almost minty taste that we both thought could be eucalyptus. But when I read the ingredients, it must be the licorice that we are tasting. 

I had tasted a similar flavor before in another gin from Argentina called Principes de los Apostoles. Very refreshing.

We are off tomorrow. Taking a little journey to Long Island for a change of scenery. Enjoy the weekend all!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

For those in the warmer areas, i just wanted to share the "FUN" you are missing!!  Below is an iPhone image as I was driving along our ravine roadway with five deer being out on a "food scouting" adventure.  Does this look like we are in the middle of real winter?

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

IMG_5741.jpeg.8177953f37447b9e164fb4b8e43cb9f1.jpeg

• Like 1

Happy Valentine's Day??!!  Is everyone ready and prepared?  Is Valentine's Day just a U.S.thing, and/or is it also big in the UK and for other parts fo the world?

298655001_ScreenShot2021-02-12at9_44_15AM.png.dc9cdd26929ed17f46ebecd5357d771d.png

1345176331_ScreenShot2021-02-12at9_44_33AM.png.e5824d48e891b23331585943230c3351.png

Edited by TLCOhio

14 hours ago, jpalbny said:

First sips are definitely tasty.

20210211_201839.thumb.jpg.a027629c748464a2c1562602e20b25e5.jpg

I picked the bottle up a few hours ago and chilled it. Served with Mediterranean tonic, a slice of homegrown Meyer lemon, and a bit of cheap lime from the store (our lime tree won't produce for at least another year).

I mix them strong, for sipping. 2 oz gin in each, with one bottle (6.8 oz) of tonic split between both drinks.

The four pillars smells like a traditional London dry, with a juniper nose. The taste is somewhat different though. There is a dominant refreshing almost minty taste that we both thought could be eucalyptus. But when I read the ingredients, it must be the licorice that we are tasting. 

I had tasted a similar flavor before in another gin from Argentina called Principes de los Apostoles. Very refreshing.

We are off tomorrow. Taking a little journey to Long Island for a change of scenery. Enjoy the weekend all!

THANK YOU for the review.   Eucalyptus came to mind for me also.  And now I shall try your recipe.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, zqtchas said:

Did you apply for unemployment?

Not yet.  My employer is dithering about with the paper work.  And I think there will be an exit interview.  I will have some strong words for her!  🤣

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, TLCOhio said:

Happy Valentine's Day??!!  Is everyone ready and prepared?  Is Valentine's Day just a U.S.thing, and/or is it also big in the UK... 

It's certainly a big thing with the greetings cards industry! 

OH and I have never recognised it, nor, indeed, anyone in the family of our generation. It does seem quite the thing for the younger ones who are perhaps more commercially impressionable. 

I'd never heard of it before moving to England. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Tothesunset said:

It's certainly a big thing with the greetings cards industry!   OH and I have never recognised it, nor, indeed, anyone in the family of our generation. It does seem quite the thing for the younger ones who are perhaps more commercially impressionable.   I'd never heard of it before moving to England. 

Appreciate this above insightful follow-up from our UK friend.  Agree that much about this "holiday" is driven by commercial interests to promote the sales of greeting cards, sweets from candy manufacturers, etc.  BUT, for my wife, she always likes any special (and deserved) recognitions and honors.  If men are smart here in the U.S., we do not want to ignore this "opportunity" to say thanks to those special ladies in our lives.  Added reactions and comments? 

1772647997_ScreenShot2021-02-12at5_21_47PM.thumb.png.3b4eb0b0566e517fa754a16666696a5f.png

It's world wide and has been since  early 18th century!!( Don't quote me on the date) 

Yes it's got very commercial but just like so many other dates !!

But come on let's just celebrate what we can when we can.🌹 life's been tough enough & my husband & I will celebrate on Sunday with a lovely meal fine champagne & lots of chocolate 🍫 what's so bad about that !!🍾🙏💓

• Like 5

And of course there are two parties involved.  Women can also take the opportunity to express their appreciation of their partners.  And waiting to do so on Valentine's Day is missing the chance to do so more frequently. 😁 

• Like 1

Today we have gone into state wide ( Victoria) lockdown for 5 days. The restaurants are shut except for takeaway. Valentine celebrations for romantic dinners have been shelved so I am feeling sorry for the restaurants all supplied for a busy night. 
We don’t celebrate Valentine's Day usually but this year will cook a nice meal with a special bottle out of the cellar to cheer us up. 
Lockdown includes pools and golf courses which are closed.  It looks like a daily walk (2 hours only) around the walking track on the golf course with an add on to the cafe for a takeaway coffee. No one can go more than 5 km from their home so we are lucky to have the golf course on our doorstep. 
Masks are compulsory everywhere except in the home.  No visitors allowed unless you are a carer of someone. Borders are closing to us so anyone planning a trip has had to cancel. 
We are planning a trip to Tasmania in April so fingers crossed we will get there. 

2 minutes ago, jillyf said:

Today we have gone into state wide ( Victoria) lockdown for 5 days. The restaurants are shut except for takeaway. Valentine celebrations for romantic dinners have been shelved so I am feeling sorry for the restaurants all supplied for a busy night. 
We don’t celebrate Valentine's Day usually but this year will cook a nice meal with a special bottle out of the cellar to cheer us up. 
Lockdown includes pools and golf courses which are closed.  It looks like a daily walk (2 hours only) around the walking track on the golf course with an add on to the cafe for a takeaway coffee. No one can go more than 5 km from their home so we are lucky to have the golf course on our doorstep. 
Masks are compulsory everywhere except in the home.  No visitors allowed unless you are a carer of someone. Borders are closing to us so anyone planning a trip has had to cancel. 
We are planning a trip to Tasmania in April so fingers crossed we will get there. 

Sorry the hear about your further lockdown Jill!  We are scheduled to come out of the one we have been in since December 26 on Tuesday next.  We all know that the variants are playing havoc so we have no illusions that our freedom will last for very long! 

• Like 1