Drive to FLL

I live in New Tampa and go back and forth to Fort Lauderdale all the time. You can get to Port Everglades very easily well under 4 hours. Traveling on a weekend you have no concern with traffic on I-595 from the end of Alligator Alley to the Port.

Thank you for this info. I think this is what we will do unless I get out voted and the DW and SIL want to go night before to see sights of Ft Lauderdale and do a nice dinner.

You didn’t mention which date in November, I hope it is not the weekend after Thanksgiving.

No, It is the week of Nov 10th... We thought about the week after Thanksgiving but the price is much higher.

We live in Land O lakes, just a few miles south of spring Hill (your location). Cruise out of Miami or Ft. Lauderdale several times a year. Because I am paranoid and watch the news every morning, we travel down to the Naples-Ft. Meyers area, then get hotel, and in the morning drive the rest of the way. That point is about mid way, so 2 1/2 hours give or take.

I often hear of traffic accidents that close the highway, i75, or brush fires. Or even car trouble.

I prefer to be close on the morning of the cruise.

Just my 2 cents on the subject.

That route shouldn't be a problem, especially on a Sunday morning. All you need is a good traffic app, such as Waze, that will give you a heads up if 75 (or the Turnpike) is closed due to accident so you can take an alternate route.

Isn't Allure moving to Miami by the time you are going?

That was the plan when it was announced Symphony was going to be home'd in Miami, but Royal's site does show this cruise out of PE.

A search on Royal's site, FWIW, using Miami Nov 19, show Navigator, Explorer, and Empress. I wonder if they have decided against a 2nd Oasis class there? It was easier to keep track when there was only 2 :)

We live in Pinellas County and have taken that drive twice now and will do it again this November, but we always opt to stay the night down there though. I worry about traffic, car problems you name it...lol...the one night hotel cost is worth my sanity :-P

For all of the drivers out there, download the WAZE app... It will reroute you automatically if there is any issues on the road. I live in Nashville and I use it daily going to and from work because traffic here is a hot mess on a good day. I live by that app!!! It will alert you of objects in the road, police reports, red light cameras, traffic accidents, construction zones, etc... It will reroute you and adjust your arrival time accordingly. I never travel without it.

OP, as you can see from my user name, I am just up the road from you.

When we sail out of Ft lauderdale or Miami, we always go down the day before. There are just too many things that can happen that will back up traffic and cause delays.

We prefer heading east from our house and taking the turnpike down. It is much easier driving than taking I 75 south and across.

Just a curious question to the OP:

If you are picking an Oasis class ship ....have you considered the easier drive to Port Canaveral versus Ft. Lauderdale and Miami?

Oasis (and soon to be Harmony) home ported there, doing the same routes as her sisters in the south.

For all of the drivers out there, download the WAZE app... It will reroute you automatically if there is any issues on the road. I live in Nashville and I use it daily going to and from work because traffic here is a hot mess on a good day. I live by that app!!! It will alert you of objects in the road, police reports, red light cameras, traffic accidents, construction zones, etc... It will reroute you and adjust your arrival time accordingly. I never travel without it.

I use Waze too every morning. Its is very helpful for traffic and where police are on your route.

Just a curious question to the OP:

If you are picking an Oasis class ship ....have you considered the easier drive to Port Canaveral versus Ft. Lauderdale and Miami?

Oasis (and soon to be Harmony) home ported there, doing the same routes as her sisters in the south.

I like going to Port Canaveral, been many times. At the time we booked Allure was not docked there. Also the SIL and BIL like the itinerary that we are going on. In the future if Allure does move there I would def drive to PC over FLL or MIA

I like going to Port Canaveral, been many times. At the time we booked Allure was not docked there. Also the SIL and BIL like the itinerary that we are going on. In the future if Allure does move there I would def drive to PC over FLL or MIA

No I am talking about Oasis that is home ported in Port Canaveral. Oasis doing the same itinerary as sister Oasis series Allure and Harmony.....just leaving out of PC instead. Later on next year, Harmony replacing Oasis. Still will be same itinerary as southern sisters.