For those who participate in Afternoon Tea

bichonandon

Our experience with afternoon tea on Princess was just as pleasurable. :D

I agree, great people to talk with too. One trouble was that so few people were taking "Afternoon Tea" that we kept getting the same people at the table when we wanted to meet as many as possible.

I have done the paid tea and the free tea. They are both enjoyable. The one with the upcharge is not to be missed if you love having tea. I went to upcharge tea twice on the Regal and it was worth every penny. I think I paid $10 each time. It was so good. I went on the Carribean Princess in July and did the free tea twice. It was very enjoyable.

For those who are interested:-

https://www.thekitchn.com/whats-the-difference-clotted-c-87144

If you are ever in Devon make sure you have a Devonshire Cream Tea.

If you are eating scones on the boat do you have the cream first or the jam?

A Devonshire tea has the cream first and then the jam. A Cornish tea has the jam first and then the cream. I prefer the Cornish way

A Devonshire tea has the cream first and then the jam. A Cornish tea has the jam first and then the cream. I prefer the Cornish way

I believe it is due to the consistency of the cream; Devonshire being thicker than Cornish and more able to support the jam. Thick heavy Strawberry jam (is there any other to have!!) would squeeze out the cream in a Cornish one; messy!!

I've been to Afternoon Tea on the Sapphire, Royal, and Caribbean. I've enjoyed it on all three ships. It is not as fancy as land-based Afternoon Teas I've been to in various places, but it is still a lot of fun. I missed it when I sailed on <<cough cough>> another cruise line one time.

The first time, on the Sapphire, it was my first cruise and my husband and I went nuts trying to eat everything. We went to tea three times in one week. Two weeks on the Royal we went once or maybe twice. One week on the CB and I went with my in-laws one time.

I have seen others request a pot of a different type of tea. I was seated near a woman who is a long-term cruiser who always gets mint tea and one scone only. The waitstaff knew this.

I personally like the miniature sandwiches the best. I like any food that is tiny and cute. And these are very tiny and cute.

I used to line up 15 minutes early to try to get "a good seat" but later adopted the strategy of showing up halfway through the open hours. I have found this strategy to be more relaxing. On all times I have always requested separate seating and have never sat with strangers. I've never had a problem with this.

On an Alaska cruise many years ago we had to queue to get in and the place was packed. Last year we were wondering if Princess would soon "can" afternoon tea as the average on days we went was less than 30. I suppose it might just have been us scaring people way!!

Hope there are more on the "Round Australia" cruise in 50 days!! Looking forward to Afternoon Tea on the P Sea

Just to add they also cater for Gluten Free passengers. Just mention it to the staff and they'll bring you the equivalent GF options, including sandwiches and scones.

My mum is has to have GF diet and loves Princess Afternoon Tea :D:D!

• Thanks 1

On our two recent cruises on the Sun Princess I could not get DH to afternoon tea, however discovered the same food was served in the pastry area in the buffet! There was always a queue waiting for the steaming hot scones to come out!

Must admit I would prefer the dining room just to be able to meet others. That is why we always do Anytime dining , as we have met some wonderful people. Only once have we come across anyone obnoxious thankfully.

.... the same food was served in the pastry area in the buffet! There was always a queue waiting for the steaming hot scones to come out!

Not the same ambiance at all!!! You just can't beat "Silver Service", great food and good company.

Just to add they also cater for Gluten Free passengers. Just mention it to the staff and they'll bring you the equivalent GF options, including sandwiches and scones.

My mum is has to have GF diet and loves Princess Afternoon Tea :D:D!

That's so nice of them! Do they offer vegetarian sandwiches too? If not, that's fine, I'm happy with all the scones and can't wait to try this cream!

Has anyone ever done it as an Elite on your balcony? Do they just put it out and leave?

We have done the Elite tea a few times.

We had an actual server a couple of times that stayed like the UBD and also where they have just left it in the cabin.

They require at least a 6 hour notice to prepare.

1- As mentioned, Princess does not serve real clotted cream. It is thick artificial whipped cream....decent, but definitely not anything like clotted cream, which is pale yellow and very thick. I had it in Devonshire and Cornwall, England and was to die for! Also, Princess's scones are ok, but real ones melt in your mouth.

2- It's called Afternoon Tea, which is accurate. If you go to England, it will be called Cream Tea...and only includes scones, clotted cream, strawberry jam and tea. In Wolsely's in London and the Empress in Victoria, BC we also had other mini sandwiches and sweets.

3- I had the "Royal Tea" on Regal and it was fancier than the daily free one, but not better. Plus, it was super noisy in the atrium so the piano player played even louder which made it anything but relaxing. Other passengers stood around staring at us and we had to share a tiny little coffee table with 2 others so our table was overcrowded. Will never waste $10 on that again.

....the same food was served in the pastry area in the buffet! There was always a queue waiting for the steaming hot scones to come out!

Not the same ambiance at all!!! You just can't beat "Silver Service", great food and good company.

I know - but one has to compensate for DH at times!!:p

On our next cruise I will be insisting on "Silver Service"!

I know - but one has to compensate for DH at times!!:p

On our next cruise I will be insisting on "Silver Service"!

If I only did the things DH really wants to do, I would miss out on a lot! I often foray out on my own. We used the Princess@sea on our last cruise, and found it very helpful.

If I only did the things DH really wants to do, I would miss out on a lot! I often foray out on my own. We used the Princess@sea on our last cruise, and found it very helpful.

That’s the great thing about cruising. DH goes one way and I go another.

Neither of us has to give up anything and our meals are fun because we have stories to tell.

Princess@Sea and post its help us find each other.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Can you just get the scones and cream right away or do you have to sit through all the other courses before they will give it to you?

The scones are usually not ready right when they open the doors. I think they guesstimate how many to put fresh in the oven by the number of persons in line, and how many more wander in 5-10 minutes after.

If you don't want sandwiches at least have a cookie or cake. If only for the blood sugar spike which may help you crave that second --or third, or fourth--scone :D

Can you just get the scones and cream right away or do you have to sit through all the other courses before they will give it to you?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

The very plentiful waitstaff are continually wandering from table to table with the various trays of food as well as the teapots - no set courses, just a constant flow of deliciousness!

I don’t think I’ve ever had to wait more than a minute or two before what I was waiting for came by. Should you not get a particular tray brought to your table, just let one of the other waitstaff know what you’d like and they’ll send someone over right away. If anything, the visits by the waiters with the trays are overkill - in the best possible way! :p I always feel bad having to say no every few minutes, but there’s just soooo much food.

• Like 1