Compulsive cruise prep

Ugh my DH *always* suddenly realizes he needs to do some preparation about a week before. Then he insists I run all over town with him while he finds clothes, shoes, whatever else he needs because he just realized things in the closet are worn out, don't fit or are 20 years out of style (LOL).

Just when I'm ready to relax and enjoy calm anticipation because I am 500% ready, there he is with "should I bring this?" "what should I do about ... ?" over and over and over.[emoji35]

What was my prediction? One week to sail and DH wakes up this morning and says "I want to go look at shoes at Cabela's today."

Sent from my SM-T817V using Forums mobile app

My planning has mainly to do with attractions, transportation and accommodations. I pack the night before and know the necessities as I’ve done it so many times.

My problem is I’m thrifty and prefer to DIY so I have information on:

1) where my ship docks or tenders

2) A google walking map or public transportation map & schedule to each attraction or hotel (usually the most economical option)

3) pre-booked entrance fees & estimated spending

4) a blurb or podcast about the site for DW

5) liberal estimated arrival and departure times for sites (DW shops)

I create a manual for each port which I remove from the binder the night before going ashore. I only do ships excursions when sites are a distance away or DIY is complicated as DWs stress levels aren’t as high as mine. I also know my limitations when it comes to communication in a foreign language.

I love this listing of what you compile. I did so much reading and research long ago. Now it's finally 8 days away and I don't remember where to find everything. Like where do I find the schedule for each port that shows where each ship will berth.

And anything thrifty!

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Forums mobile app

Bermuda in September?

You can start constantly watching tropical updates for any Atlantic storms and research any ports on a New England/Canadian cruise in case you board the ship and the itinerary changes (you can get several sweatshirts in your luggage, correct?). :eek:

OMG! I posted this half tongue in cheek back in the middle of August because the OP of this thread was on the Dawn to Bermuda leaving yesterday

Dawn is doing the New England/Canada itinerary this week because of Florence.

OMG! I posted this half tongue in cheek back in the middle of August because the OP of this thread was on the Dawn to Bermuda leaving yesterday

Dawn is doing the New England/Canada itinerary this week because of Florence.

I saw your post earlier today when I was hunting for mine about my DH and last minute shopping!

I looked up the OP and here is what she(?) said about the itinerary change:

"We're not excited to have our second-ever cruise turn into our first from a year ago, but as long as I’m not home processing food from the gardens, I intend to be happy."

(Their first ever cruise was on the Gem. To CANADA[emoji38])

OMG you people are totally insane. But I loved reading about your insanity!! Keep them coming. Personally I’ll be looking for clothes 20 mins before we leave for the airport. I’m a firm believer that it will all work out why stress over it. :'):p:cool:
I picked my friend up for a few day road trip. As I watched in horror, he dug through the clothes basket (I will give him the benefit of the doubt and say they were clean) to find clothes to bring. Then he went to find his suitcase.

As you point out, everything did work out. Probably because no ship or airline were involved. He did some shopping when we reached out destination.

Sent from my KFSUWI using Tapatalk

I picked my friend up for a few day road trip. As I watched in horror, he dug through the clothes basket (I will give him the benefit of the doubt and say they were clean) to find clothes to bring. Then he went to find his suitcase.

As you point out, everything did work out. Probably because no ship or airline were involved. He did some shopping when we reached out destination.

Whoa, I would be so stressed out!!!

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Forums mobile app

Talk about chasing the plane as you’re taxiing down the runway!!! I’d be out of my mind!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I am such a planner. lol What I do is open up a suitcase about a month out and put it in a spot in our bedroom that is out of the way and throw things into it as I come across or buy them. It just helps me keep track of everything and makes sure I pack everything. lol I started doing that when I forgot to pack my ex-husbands dress clothes (ages ago) for the second cruise we went on and I forgot to pack socks for Disney one year. lol

I have a large tub in one room that I put everything needed in. clothes bought for the cruise special section of my closet. the tub so far includes:

*our 3-1-1 TSA bags-slowly filing.

*a box with trial size cosmetics from the monthly subscriptions I belong to.

*Passport holder with passports already tucked in.

*sun hats

*portable bluetooth speaker for music in our cabin

*magnets

*stainless steel straws

*mini binoculars

*2 backpacks

*crossbody bag

*lanyards

*empty packing cubes

*4 already packed packing cubes

I have already packed swimsuits and coverups; under clothes for DH and self; night clothes and the prizes and wrapping bags for the meet and greet I am organizing.

I also have a spreadsheet by day with what we plan to do and wear those days. and lists of what I still need to buy and pack. Typically I dont like to plan what to wear day by day but I am trying to make this cruise with carry on only.

our cruise isn't until December! I asked my DH if he thought I was crazy for already starting to pack. He said no... it makes you happy. lol I think I'll keep him.

On the Getaway right now. Just a few FYI’s for our Planner group.

- Magnets do not work in The Haven rooms. We brought some magnetic hooks and they do not cling to the walls.

- Boarding times seem to be getting later at Port Miami. They did not open the security area until around 10:05 yesterday, Haven boarding started around 11:15, and general boarding around 11:30.

- The muster drill was a cluster. We went to ours in O’Sheehan’s around 3:15. It was supposed to start at 3:30, but people were still strolling in until it finally started at 3:45.

- Everything else has been awesome. In our opinion, The Haven is everything it is advertised as and more. The crew is incredible and so friendly.

- Magnets do not work in The Haven rooms. We brought some magnetic hooks and they do not cling to the walls.

- Boarding times seem to be getting later at Port Miami. They did not open the security area until around 10:05 yesterday, Haven boarding started around 11:15, and general boarding around 11:30.

- The muster drill was a cluster. We went to ours in O’Sheehan’s around 3:15. It was supposed to start at 3:30, but people were still strolling in until it finally started at 3:45.

- Everything else has been awesome. In our opinion, The Haven is everything it is advertised as and more. The crew is incredible and so friendly.

I would presume the Breakaway won’t have magnetic wall also? Is the door magnetic?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Wow - I hope the Jade has magnetic walls. It's an older ship so it should, right? And, I am not in a Haven cabin. I love my magnetic hooks - I hang them all over the cabin!

I am really enjoying this thread - I may not be quite as organized as some of you, but I plan constantly. My next cruise is just over a year away and I am on CC every day reading and planning!

I just finished my itinerary (semi final draft) and sent it to the others in our travel group (only 4 this time). Flights, tours, dinners, $$ needed for tours, site visits, lunch, names of tour operators, etc.... No spreadsheet yet.........

I have my tour info in separate packets.

Now, the packing "stacks" for the departure in 6 weeks;-P

And, stalking CC for any extra info that might pop up.

Ugh my DH *always* suddenly realizes he needs to do some preparation about a week before. Then he insists I run all over town with him while he finds clothes, shoes, whatever else he needs because he just realized things in the closet are worn out, don't fit or are 20 years out of style (LOL).

Just when I'm ready to relax and enjoy calm anticipation because I am 500% ready, there he is with "should I bring this?" "what should I do about ... ?" over and over and over.[emoji35]

I cracked up reading this because my husband does this THE NIGHT BEFORE we leave. I'm trying to snuggle into bed all cozy and content with my planning and my husband flips on the lights and starts panic packing. He tries things on, can't find half of what he wants to take and on and on. I can't live that way! Haha!

• Like 1

I cracked up reading this because my husband does this THE NIGHT BEFORE we leave. I'm trying to snuggle into bed all cozy and content with my planning and my husband flips on the lights and starts panic packing. He tries things on, can't find half of what he wants to take and on and on. I can't live that way! Haha!
Yup. And I get constant "should I bring this? Does this match?"
  • Like 1