Upgrade drink package in advance or onboard?

GetMeToTheSpa

We normally upgrade on board with the bartender that we’ll likely frequent the most (usually Martini Bar). They get the entire gratuity upgrade & they do remember you.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• Like 1

Celebrity has in the past (recent) had a 20% discount on Beverage packages and excursions !

You must check the Celebrity website.

Eaglewar......Rick

We are looking online.. But I'm trying to find out if there is a financial advantage to waiting to get onboard to upgrade.

Celebrity has in the past (recent) had a 20% discount on Beverage packages and excursions !

Eaglewar......Rick

Do you mean 20% off on the beverage package upgrade from classic to premium? Is it a discount you have received onboard or online before your cruise?

Occasionally they offer a discount to upgrade before the cruise. If your cruise has a discount offered via the Cruise Planner then that’s when I would upgrade. If no discount pre cruise then wait until you are on the ship, and as mentioned previously, pick a bar or the sommelier in your dining room and upgrade with a bartender or sommelier.

On a few occasions there have been reports of discounts to upgrade once on the ship, but they aren’t frequent. We have done 22 cruise on X and have never seen a discount once on the ship.

If Celebrity offers the discount to upgrade online before you leave, I would say to jump on that as discount to upgrade to the Premium package are rare. Now having said that, we were on the Summit 2 years ago on the second Bermuda sailing of the season and they offered the upgrade for half price. It's the only time we've ever seen the upgrade discounted on the ship. We actually purchased our upgrade in the terminal before we even made it on the ship and the waiter we purchased it from didn't say a word about the discount. We found out later that afternoon from our friends who boarded after us and had upgraded with the discount. We inquired at the pursers desk regarding the discrepancy and they advised that everyone who upgraded on the first day received the discounted price (or received a credit if they had prepurchased the upgrade).

We've never seen if offered other than that week. And upon research here on Cruise Critic after we returned home, neither the sailing before or after ours had the discounted the upgrade.

It’s cheaper to pay the difference per drink than buy the upgrade. For instance, if you wanted Crown Royal instead of Canadian Club just pay the difference between the two. However, if you’re wanting the premium wines then you may have to upgrade. The price of a Premium Package has gone up. At least that’s what I’ve heard. Do a search on this site for Premium Packages and read the comments. I’ve got the same package as you but I’m just going for the by the drink difference.

It’s cheaper to pay the difference per drink than buy the upgrade. For instance, if you wanted Crown Royal instead of Canadian Club just pay the difference between the two. However, if you’re wanting the premium wines then you may have to upgrade. The price of a Premium Package has gone up. At least that’s what I’ve heard. Do a search on this site for Premium Packages and read the comments. I’ve got the same package as you but I’m just going for the by the drink difference.

You are correct the price of the Premium package has increased so the price to upgrade has increased. The upgrade is now $ 14 per day plus the 18% gratutity =$16.52.

Do you mean 20% off on the beverage package upgrade from classic to premium? Is it a discount you have received onboard or online before your cruise?

The discount was pre-cruise and offered on the Celebrity web site.

eaglewar.....Rick

Eaglewar......Rick

Not really...if you ‘friend’ X on Facebook or Twitter etc any promotions will show up there...you don’t have to check the website everyday. In fact, the last one gave a promo code and you had to call and book.

I remember it well, they increased the package upgrade by 40% and for a short time offered a 20% discount, they called it a sale.

All the previous and post sales events have never included the classic to premier package upgrade. It was a one off to soften their rather ridiculous 40% price rise when inflation has been running at less than 3%, how do they justify it to their loyal patrons?

I remember it well, they increased the package upgrade by 40% and for a short time offered a 20% discount, they called it a sale.

All the previous and post sales events have never included the classic to premier package upgrade. It was a one off to soften their rather ridiculous 40% price rise when inflation has been running at less than 3%, how do they justify it to their loyal patrons?

It's really that they increased the premium package by $4 from $65 to $69. That's a 6% increase.

But they also raised the limit on drinks covered from $13 to $15. that's a 15% increase to our benefit. Now fully covers some wines and world class bar drinks that I used to pay a couple extra dollars for.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Forums mobile app

Edited by Paulras

It's really that they increased the premium package by $4 from $65 to $69. That's a 6% increase.

Facts are facts, please check again !

The upgrade from Classic to Premium Beverage Package was increased from $10 to $14 - that’s 40%.

You then add on the gratuity.

Facts are facts, please check again !

The upgrade from Classic to Premium Beverage Package was increased from $10 to $14 - that’s 40%.

You then add on the gratuity.

Yes. But it's because they raised price of the full package (6%). You're paying the difference between that and the classic package which stayed the same price.

The Classic Bev Package was $55/pp/pd, the Premium Bev Package was $65/pp/pd.

They increased the Premium to $69/pp/pd and the Classic was retained at $55/pp/pd.

The upgrade cost was $10/pp/pd and was increased to $14/pp/pd - again that’s 40%.

Get your facts correct !

The Classic Bev Package was $55/pp/pd, the Premium Bev Package was $65/pp/pd.

They increased the Premium to $69/pp/pd and the Classic was retained at $55/pp/pd.

The upgrade cost was $10/pp/pd that’s an increase of $14/pp/pd - again that’s 40%.

Get your facts correct !

I'm saying we're both correct but it's because the full package went up 6%. Again, you're getting more anyway (up to $2 more per drink). So drink two $15 glasses of wine a day, then you won't be so upset over math.

There's no advantage to booking ahead of time, unless the upgrade is offered as a sale. Keep an eye on your emails from Celebrity and check your cruise planner for sales. I like the idea of purchasing the upgrade from your favorite bar so the bartender will get the gratuity.

I give up !

The thread is about upgrading not the price of the premium package. That’s increased by 40%.

END.

You give up arguing with yourself? Score.

So, don’t upgrade. i guess if they raised the price of the classic to $59, you’d be ok with the zero upgrade increase?

I give up !

The thread is about upgrading not the price of the premium package. That’s increased by 40%.

END.

You are absolutely correct. It is $4 more (40%) to upgrade to the new Premium package with the higher limits. The older Premium package with the lower limits is no longer offered. (For purchase or upgrade).

You are now able to pay the difference in the drink price if you are over the limited on the Classic Package instead of the full price of the more expensive drink. This is a significant reduction in cost for those going over the limit.

When viewing both changes, it seems like a very fair deal to me. Of course I am assuming that Celebrity has not just increased the price of all drinks and I will be able to have wines and drinks over the Premium Drink Package limit that I previously paid extra. (Mostly wines and special beers for us). I will know for sure in October.