Tips for Azamara Newbies

Grandma Cruising

1 hour ago, kaymoz said:

Back to the dressing-up issue again....so often we've heard the dress code on a ship is something along the lines of 'smart casual' (I think Azamara uses the terms friendly & sophisticated 🙂). 
But then once we are on the ship, we've often been informed that a certain evening will be "Captain's Night" or the like, with the implication that passengers are to make more of an effort to dress up on those occasions, and it seems that many do.  Does this happen on Azamara?  Just want to make sure we are prepared!

No formal night...no captain's night...no required jacket or tie

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, kaymoz said:

Back to the dressing-up issue again....so often we've heard the dress code on a ship is something along the lines of 'smart casual' (I think Azamara uses the terms friendly & sophisticated 🙂). 
But then once we are on the ship, we've often been informed that a certain evening will be "Captain's Night" or the like, with the implication that passengers are to make more of an effort to dress up on those occasions, and it seems that many do.  Does this happen on Azamara?  Just want to make sure we are prepared!

You have nothing to worry about.  There are some people who just like to get dressed up. Most will stick with "smart casual". 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'm old enough to own a suit and a sportcoat - although I would never lug either around on a long trip. But there are adults in their 20's and even 30's that don't even own a suit or sportcoat .Everything changes over time, including what kind of clothes are considered stylish. Casual is stylish these days.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, jwilcox said:

I'm old enough to own a suit and a sportcoat - although I would never lug either around on a long trip. But there are adults in their 20's and even 30's that don't even own a suit or sportcoat .Everything changes over time, including what kind of clothes are considered stylish. Casual is stylish these days.

People should choose the ship that will fit their style--  If there is a resistance to this the ship will change their style. Casual dressing is different to many people. I am happy with the dress code on Azamara.

• Like 5

47 minutes ago, Lois10028 said:

People should choose the ship that will fit their style-- 

If it were only that simple.  There are so many things about a ship to consider when choosing a cruise.  For me, the amount of luggage I have to deal with is a major concern.  I didn't chose Azamara for its dress code.  I chose it for ship size and itinerary.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Lois10028 said:

People should choose the ship that will fit their style--  If there is a resistance to this the ship will change their style. Casual dressing is different to many people. I am happy with the dress code on Azamara.

People choose ships for all kinds of reasons. And "fit their style" can mean different things to different people depending on what is important to them. So I'm not exactly what point your are making..Sorry if I'm missing the obvious here.

10 hours ago, jwilcox said:

People choose ships for all kinds of reasons. And "fit their style" can mean different things to different people depending on what is important to them. So I'm not exactly what point your are making..Sorry if I'm missing the obvious here.

I accept  the ship's dress code-- clothing isn't that important-- and no one cares what I am wearing."Style" was probably the wrong word to use.  In all my years of cruising I never met a man who did own a pair of pants and a collared shirt-- which is the only requirement in the dining room.

21 minutes ago, Lois10028 said:

I accept  the ship's dress code-- clothing isn't that important-- and no one cares what I am wearing."Style" was probably the wrong word to use.  In all my years of cruising I never met a man who did own a pair of pants and a collared shirt-- which is the only requirement in the dining room.

I meant to say - I never met a man on a cruise who did not own a pair of pants and a collared shirt= that is all that is requested for the dining room  

• Like 1

Yes, I guess I’ll also add to the dress code question. I brought along a belt, dress shirts, and a sport coat in case I needed it. Also, wasn’t sure if we would run into a dress code issue at the Ritz Carlton in case needed.

Well, I haven’t worn a belt once. I’ve used my golf pants with an untucked collared shirt to all events so far, including specialty restaurants and feel like I fit in. A sport coat is also a very comfortably look for those who prefer to dress up.

2 hours ago, andrcan said:

An attestation to the food quality on board as well 🙂

I agree, we’ve been active but in no way has it kept up with the pace of our eating and drinking. Service has been outstanding on this Spain intensive cruise.

3 minutes ago, Lois10028 said:

Are there advantages to booking Azamara shore excursions on line?

Booking on-line avoids the tiresome queue on board. Also, you may find some tours fully-subscribed if you leave it too late.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 6/17/2022 at 4:02 PM, aliaschief said:

On the 2024 World Cruise there is going to be a lot of being seen in a few outfits over and over again.😁

Honey ALL outfits over and over again (not just a few 🤣)

• Like 2

One more dress code question.  Are neat, clean, unripped jeans acceptable in the dining room and specialty restaurants?  I found this to be true on previous Alaskan cruises and our upcoming Azamara cruise is Iceland so I wondered if the dress code would be similar.  Thx for your help.  Marilyn

35 minutes ago, mjmagee said:

One more dress code question.  Are neat, clean, unripped jeans acceptable in the dining room and specialty restaurants?  I found this to be true on previous Alaskan cruises and our upcoming Azamara cruise is Iceland so I wondered if the dress code would be similar.  Thx for your help.  Marilyn

Yes, unripped jeans are acceptable in the main dining room. Not sure about the specialty restaurants-I wore slacks and a nice top for that and my husband wore dockers and a polo shirt the one night we dined in Aqualina.

• Like 1