Survey Says: Begging for "10's" in MDR

wesp

I think it would be fun to set it up such that the people who come up with this crap have to score a perfect on *their* annual performance review or they get fired. I bet that would put the kibosh on this stupidity.

This is actually how it functions in larger companies in my country. Bosses also gets annual reviews from their underlings, and if scores are bad they get in trouble and are asked to do better.

Churn of employees is very expensive.

Just say: I always give tens. You can count on me. Go back to your dinner.

Then do what you want with the survey.

My last two cruises on Grandeur and Radiance have included begging for 10's on the survey as part of the sentimental last night waiter concert. The pitch went on and on. Is this true across the fleet? Our waiter and assistant were good, but not a 10. Since when is average not acceptable as an evaluation response?

Wesley

I think the cruise line has the staff pressure us for the perfect 10 rating because they know they have cut staff in the dining room, resulting in poorer service and have changed the menus in less that good ways and are trying to make us question what our actual experience has been so we will give them the sought after 10. After all, if you have been given average service and food, but the waiter is acting like it was all worth a 10, who doesn't stop and consider giving them a 10 or at least a higher number.

It is like they are playing a mind game with us.

As soon as they start their speech, just say, "Right now you have a 10. Anything else you say about the survey will cause that number to go down". Then fill out the survey any way you want or not at all.

I used to feel that way about ratings, I never rated anyone 10 or 5 depending on the scale. You can always be better. That was until, my job depended on ratings from my customers. It is expected that I carry a 4.7 out of 5 to stay employed. My overall rating is about 4.95 and I have long stretches where I carry a 5* rating for weeks at a time.

Here is the thing, my company asks for one rating. That rating is of me and my performance. However, since there are no other questions, I am accountable for the entire experience, when in reality, I am responsible for about 10%. This lets my corporate bosses completely off the hook and totally unaccountable for the other 90%.

Here is my new rating scale 5- was generally good and I would not cringe if I got this person again. 4- tried really hard but made a pretty major mistake that an average person would have recognized and then tried to remedy. 3- I would still pick this person over my mother in law. 2 and 1 are basically the same because this person is about to be fired (potentially over this one rating- it happens) and the criteria is I would cancel my order and go hungry if this person to approach me again.

It is not real, it is not honest, but real honest people doing their best depend on these stupid surveys. More valuable are your comments, especially positive ones for those that REALLY did a 5* job and made your day special. And money paid directly to the service provider. However, if I had to chose between a good tip and a good rating, I will pick the rating EVERY time. That rating ensure me a job tomorrow, the tip, no so much.

Or jeopardize the livelihood of the employee just trying to get ahead,....We give perfect 10’s to everyone.
I agree !

Totally agree with this and do the same.

I can't understand those who say they give a 10 to everyone because they feel sorry for them, to me this is doing a huge disservice to those excellent staff who truly deserve a 10.

Julie

I agree !

I am very agreeable unlike the RCI pointy heads who cause this annoyance .

:D:D

Judging the whole dinner experience, especially on a longer cruise, with just one question is not fair. Especially if you have my time dining, you will most probably end up with different teams on different nights. Some are good, others really bad. Whom should I judge?

I always make a comment about the MTD problem for the cruise line. I also comment about the "need for perfect 10"; it is the cruise line's fault if they think only 10 is acceptable. They should just have Yes/No options where YES = 10 and 0-9 = No. Because that's what it really means!

There is not going to be any change, unless we - the cruisers - complaint about the unfair judging system to the ones that make decisions about the survey.

If I face problems, I will complaint on the spot. To the maitre'd, hotel manager, front desk, guest services. That's the only way I will have the annoying thing amended for me. And that is the only thing, which interests me and serves my purpose. I of course hope it will also affect future cruises, too - there is always place for improvement. On the other hand, I will give praise on the spot as well. If I enjoy, like something or think I've received extra special care etc, I will thank and let the person know, AND tell his/her boss about it.

I think the cruise line has the staff pressure us for the perfect 10 rating because they know they have cut staff in the dining room, resulting in poorer service and have changed the menus in less that good ways and are trying to make us question what our actual experience has been so we will give them the sought after 10. After all, if you have been given average service and food, but the waiter is acting like it was all worth a 10, who doesn't stop and consider giving them a 10 or at least a higher number.

It is like they are playing a mind game with us.

They are playing mind games and if staff cuts and food quality continues to suffer sooner or later there will be a big negative backlash from passengers to the survey's scores.

Or jeopardize the livelihood of the employee just trying to get ahead,....We give perfect 10’s to everyone.

People who hand out perfect 10’s like candy are the ones who jeopardize everyone who receives a real score from someone honest.

On our Anthem Cruise a few weeks ago our waiter mentioned the survey on night one. That was new. But didn’t mention it again till the last night. They deserved the 10 so it was easy to fill out the survey. It did ask if anyone asked for a 10, I responded yes, but it didn’t ask me about who talked about getting 10s.

They were top 1%? Wow, that’s awesome!

OH MY GOD!!! Does NO ONE know how these surveys work? Yes, employees may have to average say a 9.2 or 9.4 in order to get their total tip share portion, or can lose some below that, but they are not in trouble for an 8 or a 9. The company is looking for an overall AVERAGE to meet. Once they have met or exceeded that number they can make more cuts in food, services, etc. As long as they can show top management that cruisers are still happy, they can and will continue to cut costs.

Giving 10's for the poor misbegotten workers is REALLY telling the company this was the most lavish, perfect, impressive experience ever. I am blown away. It can not be improved. So they cut a little bit and check to see if the scores remain. It's all a big smoke show and the only loser at the end is the guest. Is anyone REALLY rating RCI's MDR food a consistent 10 across the board?

OH MY GOD!!! Does NO ONE know how these surveys work? Yes, employees may have to average say a 9.2 or 9.4 in order to get their total tip share portion, or can lose some below that, but they are not in trouble for an 8 or a 9. The company is looking for an overall AVERAGE to meet. Once they have met or exceeded that number they can make more cuts in food, services, etc. As long as they can show top management that cruisers are still happy, they can and will continue to cut costs.

Giving 10's for the poor misbegotten workers is REALLY telling the company this was the most lavish, perfect, impressive experience ever. I am blown away. It can not be improved. So they cut a little bit and check to see if the scores remain. It's all a big smoke show and the only loser at the end is the guest. Is anyone REALLY rating RCI's MDR food a consistent 10 across the board?

Yes. Perfect 10’s for us across the board regardless of how we really feel.

We never repeat the same ship so how it performe in the future means nothing to us.

This is not how they work in retail - like another poster mentioned, often anything lower than a 9 average is a huge problem. I worked for a large personal electronics retailer years ago, first as sales/service and then as a supervisor who's job was customer satisfaction. My entire job was looking at these stupid surveys and working with all employees who had low averages. If they did not get their numbers up in a specific period of time, their employment was terminated. Our scale was 1-5. Anything 1 or 2 was immediately flagged for review and we had to intervene immediately. Each employee was expected to maintain at least a 4.5 average. At least, this is how it affected the individual employee. I understand that an average high rating could be used by higher ups to make cuts in service/etc and see if scores remain the same, but that's not the waitstaff's concern when they ask us for 10s.

Having said that, if I fill out surveys like this, I fill them out honestly but if my problem was not with the specific person, I make sure to note that in the hope that the person will not get in trouble for something out of their control. If I have a significant enough problem that I would leave a low number, I grab a manager and discuss it with them on the spot to address the issue.

Snicker

My time is very valuable. If you want me to take a survey, you will have to pay me!!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Excellent idea! Why do I have to waste my paid cruise time to accommodate your desire for a bunch of nonsense? Pay me indeed if it is that important to you and I'll write in 10's, 20's or any other number you want. Do with it what you will if the info I give is your reality.

Yes. Perfect 10’s for us across the board regardless of how we really feel.

We never repeat the same ship so how it performe in the future means nothing to us.

I know I know , somebody is going to put up the beating a dead horse cartoon BUT

hopefully someone from above will read comments like this and abandon these type of surveys .

OK - cue the horse again . One more whack should get him moving . :rolleyes:

specifically about RCI survey, is it anonymous survey or can they track it back to you and who is your waiter ?

Just curious why are the waiters are so insists on the guests at their table to give them a perfect 10. Wondering if all surveys are anonymous and ratings going to be an overall for MDR watiers or somehow trace back to individual waiter for rating performance.

Edited by StrikeEagle

We were on the Celebrity Reflection this past February. We weren't even spoken to about the survey in the MDR. I did complete the survey and gave our wait staff and our room steward a glowing review as , in my opinion, they deserved it. I put in my complaints about the things I was not satisfied with but as far as the staff I had dealings with, I had no complaints, only compliments.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Forums mobile app