14 day vs 7+7 day for teenagers

yungbans

Hi!

I'm 19 and have a 16 year old brother, we're cruising with our parents this December (preferably Princess because they are Platinum members). Our dilemma is they want to spend around 2 weeks total in the Caribbean, which basically leaves us with two options for our time-frame: a 14 day on the Caribbean Princess and a 14 day on the Regal Princess split into two 7 day legs.

The main advantage of the former is not having to return to port in Ft. Lauderdale halfway through, but it's an older ship and only has a half sports court. My brother and I were on the full sports court pretty much all day every day last time we cruised, so my parents are worried we'll get bored if the sports court sucks. However, the 7/7 split would mean we might lose a lot of our friends halfway through if they're only signed up for the first leg.

Does anyone know what the retention rate typically is for these types of 7/7 cruises? If we'll keep most of our friends, that makes the newer and bigger Regal more attractive in just about every way. Also, are older ships like the Caribbean Princess less amenable to younger people in general?

Thanks! :halo::halo::halo:

The golden rule is, the longer the cruise, the older the passenger.

Don't think about losing friends after 7 days, think about making twice as many friends, a new set of friends each week.

That's good to know, wasn't aware of this rule!

I think you're right, it's just what with needing a couple days for everyone to warm up to each other there might be less aggregate fun than if one group was together the whole time. Although this is certainly preferable to not having any youth at all!

Are you talking holiday cruise?

If so, there are always lots of kids on holiday cruises. If they are not holiday cruises you will have more kids in general on 2 7 days cruises

We cruise every December holiday, 10 or 15 day cruises have a lot of kids. We have 2 kids, currently 15 and 10. Been doing this holiday cruise for 6 years now

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Are you talking holiday cruise?

If so, there are always lots of kids on holiday cruises. If they are not holiday cruises you will have more kids in general on 2 7 days cruises

We cruise every December holiday, 10 or 15 day cruises have a lot of kids. We have 2 kids, currently 15 and 10. Been doing this holiday cruise for 6 years now

Yep, running through Christmas and New Year's. Now I'm conflicted again because if there will be a lot of kids either way, then that shouldn't be a deciding factor. This is so difficult!!! There's no way to know for sure what the demographics will be :/

Yep, running through Christmas and New Year's. Now I'm conflicted again because if there will be a lot of kids either way, then that shouldn't be a deciding factor. This is so difficult!!! There's no way to know for sure what the demographics will be :/

Princess will sometimes tell you how many are in the teen group (don't remember what it is called) for each cruise. They won't tell you about your age group.

Princess will sometimes tell you how many are in the teen group (don't remember what it is called) for each cruise. They won't tell you about your age group.

Agree with this post

Princess will tell you want a demographic is on a specific cruise if you call and ask.

If you booked directly, call princess, through a travel agent, have them ask.

Enjoy your cruise! Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The golden rule is, the longer the cruise, the older the passenger.

Don't think about losing friends after 7 days, think about making twice as many friends, a new set of friends each week.

We have found this to be the case. In our case we would book the 14 day Circle Caribbean precisely because there would be fewer young people. ;p In your case the 7+7 might well suit you better.

Does anyone know what the retention rate typically is for these types of 7/7 cruises?

It may be a little different at holiday time, but in general I would estimate that 90% of the passengers will only do one segment of a 7+7 cruise.

While the 14 day voyage is a better itinerary, you will find very very few youth on board. They are all in school. On a 7 day voyage you might find additional youth, but there probably will not be many if school is in session. Believe the Caribbean Princess does have a full BB court area which is also used for other activities.

While the 14 day voyage is a better itinerary, you will find very very few youth on board. They are all in school. On a 7 day voyage you might find additional youth, but there probably will not be many if school is in session. Believe the Caribbean Princess does have a full BB court area which is also used for other activities.

It is Christmas and New Years. It helps to read the posts first.

I would go with the two 7 day cruises. Because not too many families can afford 14 days, especially at the more expensive holiday time. So there would be fewer kids. In addition, Regal spend Christmas Day at sea, while Caribbean is in Martinique on Christmas Day. I suspect not much will be open that day. EM

I would go with the two 7 day cruises. Because not too many families can afford 14 days, especially at the more expensive holiday time. So there would be fewer kids. In addition, Regal spend Christmas Day at sea, while Caribbean is in Martinique on Christmas Day. I suspect not much will be open that day. EM

If you book the true 14 day(where there is no return to Fort Lauderdale)on the Caribbean Princess even at Christmas time.... you will definitely have an older crowd. Mostly retirees usually. Activities are geared to an older crowd as well. I’d definitely recommend the two 7 days.

I don’t think that you’ll have problems making friends on the 2nd of your 7 day cruises....use your knowledge of the the ship and your relationships with the sports court staff to help your new friends.

Sent from my iPhone while I probably should be working.

Hi!

I'm 19 and have a 16 year old brother, we're cruising with our parents this December (preferably Princess because they are Platinum members). Our dilemma is they want to spend around 2 weeks total in the Caribbean, which basically leaves us with two options for our time-frame: a 14 day on the Caribbean Princess and a 14 day on the Regal Princess split into two 7 day legs.

The main advantage of the former is not having to return to port in Ft. Lauderdale halfway through, but it's an older ship and only has a half sports court. My brother and I were on the full sports court pretty much all day every day last time we cruised, so my parents are worried we'll get bored if the sports court sucks. However, the 7/7 split would mean we might lose a lot of our friends halfway through if they're only signed up for the first leg.

Does anyone know what the retention rate typically is for these types of 7/7 cruises? If we'll keep most of our friends, that makes the newer and bigger Regal more attractive in just about every way. Also, are older ships like the Caribbean Princess less amenable to younger people in general?

Thanks! :halo::halo::halo:

When in December? If these are holiday sailings there will be an above average number of youth sailing. For the Christmas and New Year's sailings kids can make up something like 25% of the passenger list (if not more) - we've also sailed the week before and week after these holiday sailings and there's still a healthy number of youth (esp. the Jan. voyage) since part of the week is usu. still winter break or missing the time in school is less disruptive than mid-semester.

Another downside of the 7+7 on the Regal itinerary is that you'll visit Princess Cays twice since it features in both the Eastern and Western Caribbean itineraries. So in addition to one of your "port" days being the turnaround in FLL, you'll also have a repeat stop in the Bahamas.

I'm always a bit cautious about Florida and Bahamas at that time of year because they can be cooler at that time of year than the Southern Caribbean itineraries. I found Bahamian water in December/early-January can make snorkeling a little... brisk, and we were wearing fleece jackets in FLL when we disembarked this past January (there was snow in northern FL during that same time). The weather still beat what we'd be having at home in NY, but FL/Bahamas is unlikely to feel "tropical" in December or January.

No matter how you look at it though, it will be a great vacation for you and your brother (and your family as a whole)!

be prepared on the regal on many days for many hours you will not have access to the sports court for basketball. the passengers who play pickle-ball have reserved the court for their exclusive use. this happened on the spring break cruise march 2018.

I've read all the responses, just can't find a nice way to respond to them all without cluttering the thread. I do appreciate everyone's help though, will update you when we reach a decision. Leaning towards the 7+7 now, but still having doubts :/

@jb008 yeah my mom is nervous about the temps; she likes it hot, which it seems only the southern Caribbean offers in December (yeah, she's the type to feel the difference between 88 and 83...)

My daughters have been cruising durning the Holiday time for the last 19 years. They are 21 and 23 . They like the longer cruises. We are going to Hawaii for 15 days this year. ;) I hope this will help

If I can convince my parents to do this one instead could you introduce us? ;)

I did a NYE sailing that had us in Nassau on 12/31/08 and we did a snorkeling excursion and it was pretty chilly.

We also sailed out of FLL in mid-December of 2012 and it was cool in FLL, water in Princess Cays was basically too cold to enjoy snorkeling (though it was fine for sunbathing) - I think it was something like 78 and sunny that day. We opted to sail out of San Juan for the next few years to ensure we got warm weather (mid-Dec '13, mid-Dec '14, and Jan '16). We did a NYE cruise out of FLL earlier this year, and the weather in FL was not very warm, but that was an ABC (Aruba, Bonaire, Curacao) island itinerary.

Any chance your family would be interested in a hybrid land+cruise vacation? I can personally recommend El Conquistador or the Hilton Caribe in Puerto Rico and sailing out of San Juan on Celebrity reduces the sea days and opens up some exciting S. Caribbean ports (I know you're on the Princess section and your parents are platinum, but I personally find both P and X to be pretty solid cruise products and my wife and I are happy to sail either line).

For a holiday sailing, I think you'll get families on either itinerary. Yes, a 14-day is going to have fewer families but I bet they'll be a healthy number of families still. And that whole itinerary lines up with college breaks (I don't have kids in HS, so idk how big of a deal it is to miss several days right before winter break and the first day back after winter break), so parents traveling with college age kids is not uncommon.

If it were me, the sea days plus the turnaround port and two visits to Princess Cays would probably drive me bonkers. At that point I'd just go with a couple days pre and post cruise at a resort/hotel and a 7-day sail and call it a vacay rather than force the b2b sail on Carib Princess. That being said, I'm looking at the 7-day Regal itinerary for NYE... so I may ignore my own advice (although I would sail Celebrity Summit out of San Juan in a flash if I didn't have flight vouchers that will only include Florida).