Newark Flight Departure

TM

Google maps says it's 8.1 miles from Bayonne to Newark airport with 15 minutes travel time. Newark information suggests arrival time to be an hour and a half for domestic flight. So, even with the short travel time, I also think you are cutting it a bit too close. But only you can make the decision to risk it or not.

And if you miss the flight, what is your plan B? When is the next flight? You’ll be put on a stand-by list. Do you have any status with the airline that will put you at the top of that list? Will you be making connections? What’s the next option if you miss that connection?

The good news is that the call can be made once through customs and the chances are good he'll be there in minutes. At least that's my experience. Cabs are ridiculously expensive and so are gypsy cab drivers. 10:15 is still too early

I agree it could take minutes to get Uber after calling, as it could take extra minutes to pull into port then planned; extra minutes to get off the ship; extra minutes to get through security and customs; extra minutes waiting for Uber; extra minutes driving to the airport; extra minutes getting through airport security; extra minutes getting to the gate; lots of extra minutes (hrs) waiting for the next available flight because you miss the 1015.

Den

We disembarked Summit this morning and everything worked perfectly. Embarkation actually started a little early. We didn’t do self-disembark but had #4 luggage tags so we left immediately after the self-disembark people. We found our luggage pretty easily and customs was a breeze. We had to wait a little bit for our pre-arranged transportation but not long. The family got to the airport right around 10:00 a.m. Any flight before noon is a bad idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We disembarked Summit this morning and everything worked perfectly. Embarkation actually started a little early. We didn’t do self-disembark but had #4 luggage tags so we left immediately after the self-disembark people. We found our luggage pretty easily and customs was a breeze. We had to wait a little bit for our pre-arranged transportation but not long. The family got to the airport right around 10:00 a.m. Any flight before noon is a bad idea.

Thank you for posting, we are on the Oct 7 sail and will be our first time in NYC

I don't get your advice...with the caveat that things would have to go as good as they did for you...but the first person of your ship could have EASILY made a 1030 flight (and much earlier if no checked bags) You were in #4 group...first walkoff (and they would not have to spend any time looking for bags) easily left at least an hour before you.

I don't get your advice...with the caveat that things would have to go as good as they did for you...but the first person of your ship could have EASILY made a 1030 flight (and much earlier if no checked bags) You were in #4 group...first walkoff (and they would not have to spend any time looking for bags) easily left at least an hour before you.

Frankly, I doubt that they would have beaten us by more than 30 minutes, getting to EWR by 9:30 and still having airport security to deal with. And that was with everything working perfectly. Previously, we have waited nearly two hours after docking in Bayonne to even begin any disembarkation. If you want to book a 10 a.m. flight, that’s your choice but you’d better have a back-up plan.

Frankly, I doubt that they would have beaten us by more than 30 minutes, getting to EWR by 9:30 and still having airport security to deal with. And that was with everything working perfectly. Previously, we have waited nearly two hours after docking in Bayonne to even begin any disembarkation. If you want to book a 10 a.m. flight, that’s your choice but you’d better have a back-up plan.

I totally agree with you. We once sailed into San Diego & due to Customs issues, no one was allowed to leave the ship until almost 9:30 am!! Boy were we sweating it. We had a 10:30 am flight & made it by 5 minutes!! It’s only about a 15 minute drive to the airport & everyone rushed us through at the airport. I never want to repeat that again.

OP is on 14 night sailing to Canada in October. Have done this one and even with Elite free laundry could never get by with just carry-on bags. As far as walk-off, it is very popular on Summit and to be near front of line op would need to line up 90 minutes before ship docks. Would personally prefer to instead enjoy my breakfast, do regular disembarkation, and take flight around noon.

Sometimes a thread is a very specific, personal qiuestion such as this. After a number of people took time to provide their opinon, many from direct experience, I’d think it would be nice for the OP to come back and let us know what they’ve decided or how they saw all this advice.

There really isn’t much else that can be added, so it’d just be nice to hear from the OP.

Den

• 1 month later...

FInal update.  We returned on time to Cape Liberty on Sunday.  We did self-disembarkation and were in a taxi heading to Newark AIrport at 8:25.  Based upon everyone's advvice I did not book the 10:15 am flight.  I booked a later flight at 11:05 am.  We were told there was no global entry for customs at Cape Liberty so just went through the regular customs line which took about 90 seconds.  TSA pre-check at the airport took less than 10 minutes.  We would have had plenty of time to make the 10:15 flight but as everyone said it was not worth it.  

Thanks for everyone's advice.