Cancelling Cruise due to ill health

HELEN HENRY

I'm following this thread and keep hoping you find someone for your cruise. Had it been a Gatwick flight we could well have been interested. But far more important of course is your health issues. Along with many others, I too wish you well and hope for the very best for you .

Kruzseeka,thank you for your best wishes.

Pat, I am so sorry to hear that you have to cancel your cruise, it sounds as if the messing around trying to defray costs is causing added stress too :( I hope that things improve such that future cruises become possible again.

Nicola/netchells, I am very sorry for your loss.

Slugsta, in the overall picture of things the cruise really does not matter it was just a thought about selling our cruise because P&O have been very unhelpful. as we have paid the cruise in full and I did request to P&O they transfer this cruise to another one next year 2019 and requested that my son and his partners name be transferred over to the 2019 booking but unfortunately P&O have stated NO. However, their name could be changed to this cruise on Azura in November but under the circumstances that is not possible as I explained to them but P&O they are not interested even though we have previously cruised with them on 40 cruises before. So it was a last resort to try and sell our cruise.

Thanks for your best wishes.

Pat, I am so sorry to hear that you have to cancel your cruise, it sounds as if the messing around trying to defray costs is causing added stress too :( I hope that things improve such that future cruises become possible again.

Nicola/netchells, I am very sorry for your loss.

Thank you 💗💗

Slugsta, in the overall picture of things the cruise really does not matter it was just a thought about selling our cruise because P&O have been very unhelpful. as we have paid the cruise in full and I did request to P&O they transfer this cruise to another one next year 2019 and requested that my son and his partners name be transferred over to the 2019 booking but unfortunately P&O have stated NO. However, their name could be changed to this cruise on Azura in November but under the circumstances that is not possible as I explained to them but P&O they are not interested even though we have previously cruised with them on 40 cruises before. So it was a last resort to try and sell our cruise.

Thanks for your best wishes.

Hello

I am wondering............I realise that the health dilemma that you are in, also affects all of your family at this moment in time, so a transfer of this holiday to another member of your family will not be prudent, and that you cannot see yourselves cruising in the near future.

But, what if you transferred the cruise to family members now, and then THEY postponed the cruise that is now theirs to a later date next year when you will all know what you are dealing with. Just keeping the holiday in the family. How many times can a cruise be postponed and re-booked? I know there will be penalty and administrative costs, but if my theory could work, the money and cruise stays in the family and will not be totally lost.

Or am I talking nonsense?

My thoughts and prayers are with you

Regards Kathy

Hello

I am wondering............I realise that the health dilemma that you are in, also affects all of your family at this moment in time, so a transfer of this holiday to another member of your family will not be prudent, and that you cannot see yourselves cruising in the near future.

But, what if you transferred the cruise to family members now, and then THEY postponed the cruise that is now theirs to a later date next year when you will all know what you are dealing with. Just keeping the holiday in the family. How many times can a cruise be postponed and re-booked? I know there will be penalty and administrative costs, but if my theory could work, the money and cruise stays in the family and will not be totally lost.

Or am I talking nonsense?

My thoughts and prayers are with you

Regards Kathy

Hello Kathy, no you are not talking nonsense you have put a lot of thought into this and I thank you so much for your input. However, P& O will not allow us to postpone till next year. My TA enquired as to why they would not allow this change and they categorically stated not on this occasion with no explanation as to why not.

To add insult to injury we actually received an e-mail from P&O today to inform us that our flight seats which we picked, booked and paid for in advance have been changed due to seemingly change of aircraft ( which can happen) but they never even gave us the opportunity to pick other seats so what was the point in booking and paying for seats in advance, just told us we had been moved and allocated seats. I honestly am loosing faith in P&O and and don’t have the time or energy to have any more contact with them. As a sweetener they informed me that should we wish to change names of passengers that there would be no fee for this, I was already aware of this because we booked a Select Fare and in the terms and conditions it states no fee would be applicable if we required to change names.

So sorry about me ranting on , I do apologise.

Hello Kathy, no you are not talking nonsense you have put a lot of thought into this and I thank you so much for your input. However, P& O will not allow us to postpone till next year. My TA enquired as to why they would not allow this change and they categorically stated not on this occasion with no explanation as to why not.

To add insult to injury we actually received an e-mail from P&O today to inform us that our flight seats which we picked, booked and paid for in advance have been changed due to seemingly change of aircraft ( which can happen) but they never even gave us the opportunity to pick other seats so what was the point in booking and paying for seats in advance, just told us we had been moved and allocated seats. I honestly am loosing faith in P&O and and don’t have the time or energy to have any more contact with them. As a sweetener they informed me that should we wish to change names of passengers that there would be no fee for this, I was already aware of this because we booked a Select Fare and in the terms and conditions it states no fee would be applicable if we required to change names.

So sorry about me ranting on , I do apologise.

Oh, my Dear

You are not ranting, so apologies are not necessary.

I have put a bit of thought into your problem for a couple of days, but with your information today regarding the flight situation just seems to be rubbing salt into the wound.

I regret I cannot buy this holiday from you, I wish I could, but to be honest, I just hope that your family are going to be ok and b*****ks to the money and "the company". (this might be deleted lol)

Take care xxx

So sorry to hear of your problems and wishing you all the best for the future - we never met after all.

Pat, remember P&O T&C allow for 50% refund up to 57 days prior to departure - you have up to 6th September to get at least 50% back. All the best, Mike

So sorry to hear of your problems and wishing you all the best for the future - we never met after all.

Pat, remember P&O T&C allow for 50% refund up to 57 days prior to departure - you have up to 6th September to get at least 50% back. All the best, Mike

Hi Mickey. Thank you for that advice, completely forgot about that and as P &O did not inform me about that I never gave it a thought. I have just realised that the 50% refund is actually what I was trying to sell our cruise for so my next move now is that I will contact P&O tomorrow , as you say I have till the 6th September to get at least 50% back Better than nothing.

Thank you Mickey, you have provided excellent advice in the past and now once again .

Much appreciated Pat

If I were in your shoes I would challenge P&O. They can only retain the other 50% if it is perceived as fair under the 2014 Consumers Rights Act. They are required to provide you with evidence that as a consequence of your cancellation they suffered a loss equal to that 50%. You will owe them something but £2.5k to £3k is OTT.

It only costs £25 to take them to small claims court, definitely worth a shot. Quite a few people have been successful in the past. Best of luck

Edited by mickey89

Just to thank everyone for their support and help that I received on this thread . After quite a few anxious days between telephone calls and e-mails to P&O and with the assistance from my TA (who stepped in and took over completely) my TA received an e-mail earlier today informing her that P&O had relooked at my original request and overturned their decision are now allowing me to transfer our Azura Cruise from November 2018 for 12 months. Our son will now rebook this cruise for November 2019.

Our spirits have been lifted up a bit and thank P&O for showing compassion towards us and we greatly appreciate the effort that they made to accommodate our request.

Without the help,support and advice from everyone on this thread we were ready just to give up, but because of all of your help we pursued the issue further. Thank you all for the compassion that you have shown to myself and my family throughout this very difficult time for us. Myself and my family sincerely thank you all and our sincere best wishes go out to all of you.

Regards Pat

Just to thank everyone for their support and help that I received on this thread . After quite a few anxious days between telephone calls and e-mails to P&O and with the assistance from my TA (who stepped in and took over completely) my TA received an e-mail earlier today informing her that P&O had relooked at my original request and overturned their decision are now allowing me to transfer our Azura Cruise from November 2018 for 12 months. Our son will now rebook this cruise for November 2019.

Our spirits have been lifted up a bit and thank P&O for showing compassion towards us and we greatly appreciate the effort that they made to accommodate our request.

Without the help,support and advice from everyone on this thread we were ready just to give up, but because of all of your help we pursued the issue further. Thank you all for the compassion that you have shown to myself and my family throughout this very difficult time for us. Myself and my family sincerely thank you all and our sincere best wishes go out to all of you.

Regards Pat

Great news.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

That is fantastic news. I am so pleased you have managed to get a satisfactory outcome. What a relief that must be to you.

Well done to your TA for persevering and thank you P&O for helping this family.

Thinking of you all.

Regards Pat

Great news Helen.

Maybe sometime in the not so distant future P&O will start to offer top quality customer service first, rather than only after incessant pressure.

I too am very pleased that you have reached a successful resolution and wish you all the best for the future.

I am a little uneasy at the negative comments about P&O that some have posted. The OP chose to book through an agent and she is perfectly free to do so. There are clearly advantages in this but there are also disadvantages. We will never know how much blame should be attributed to the agent for the delay but I suspect that if the booking had been made directly with P&O the resolution may have been swifter because OP would have been able to deal with them directly, rather than having to trust a third party agent who handle the process from booking onwards. Their profit comes from selling cruises, not from having to deal with transfers, refunds and/or cancellations, even in such serious and distressing circumstances.

I too am very pleased that you have reached a successful resolution and wish you all the best for the future.

I am a little uneasy at the negative comments about P&O that some have posted. The OP chose to book through an agent and she is perfectly free to do so. There are clearly advantages in this but there are also disadvantages. We will never know how much blame should be attributed to the agent for the delay but I suspect that if the booking had been made directly with P&O the resolution may have been swifter because OP would have been able to deal with them directly, rather than having to trust a third party agent who handle the process from booking onwards. Their profit comes from selling cruises, not from having to deal with transfers, refunds and/or cancellations, even in such serious and distressing circumstances.

That's not been my experience with the TA we have now been using for over 10 years, in fact the agent we use goes out of her way to ensure we are satisfied, even when she was negotiating a price match reduction which was going to reduce their commission.

However any dealings I have had with the normal P&O customer service staff, post cruise, has been predominantly slow and less than helpful. I now circumvent these lower echelons by sending my e-mails to Chris Edgington, I know he won't be handling it himself, but the people he hands it to seem far more capable.

Although far from a P&O cheerleader, I am a generally satisfied customer, but they do have faults which could be improved with better management, and I will continue to point this out, both on here and in any communications I have direct with them.