Surprising differences between legs on B2B

moki'smommy

We disembarked yesterday from a 14 night B2B on the Golden Princess. We booked as 2 7 night legs. We were in the same cabin and had one cruise card for the entire trip. I was surprised by some of the differences between the two legs. Both legs were listed on the Princess web site as having been sold out prior to the cruise.

First, the head server in the Crown Grill changed, and the quality of both the food and the service improved! Our package included a dinner in the CG and we were in a window suite, so 2 dinners on each cruise in addition to the suite breakfast. 1st leg-- Our embarkation dinner was great, Lovely server, good food. The breakfast the next morning was not good. My french toast was seriously undercooked and service was "so-so," We didn't go back, preferring club class! The second dinner, the waiter was more of an actor than a server! He was doing a big "look at me, I'm so overworked" act...which he wasn't, and there were about 4 servers standing around who could have helped out had he really been swamped. And our lava cake order was not taken till our entree plates were removed (1st night, server explained that it needed to be ordered in advance to be timed right), and then it was served cold with no evidence of having been cooked at all! I make it at home--I know that it should be "crusty" all around with a warm liquid center. It was raw. We didn't eat it--I don't need salmonella from raw eggs, thanks.

On the second leg, the CG quality was infinitely better. We had put in a request for Jane (the good server), and had discussed among ourselves that if we got Mario we would just leave. We weren't going to deal with him again, even for a "free" dinner. We did get Jane, and everything was perfect. We tried breakfast the next morning--the whole atmosphere was better, the food was excellent. It was totally what we expected from previous cruises. So, for that leg, we continued with the suite breakfast.

The passenger groups were different. First leg, I could almost always get a seat in the International Cafe area. Second leg was much more crowded there and I never got a window seat and often not any seat. There was a large Colette group on the second leg; when we were looking at options to change our second CG dining, we learned that they'd booked the entire restaurant for one evening. I couldn't figure it out--what's the benefit of paying a surcharge to Colette so you could have your excursions chosen for you and walk around behind their green flag? Maybe I just didn't get it. The second leg was an older group--perhaps because the later you get in the year, the more schools are in session. But there were many more people in their 80s and above and lots more mobility assist devices.

Most traveled passenger had 488 days on the first leg, over 800 on the second leg. The comedian was different , otherwise shows and presentations were essentially the same.

The shopping was somewhat different with lots of "fire sales" on the second leg--I suspect that they were clearing out the Alaska merchandise as the season is coming to a close in a couple of weeks.

For information, the coffee package that I obtained on day 1 was valid for all 14 days. I couldn't confirm on board whether it would be or not until the second leg started, but I was pleased that it was valid.

I'll do a review soon--just wanted to focus on how things changed from one week to the next.

For information' date=' the coffee package that I obtained on day 1 was valid for all 14 days. I couldn't confirm on board whether it would be or not until the second leg started, but I was pleased that it was valid.[/quote']

Thanks for the information which is different than what’s written in the T&C and what Princess Customer Relations told me last week that on B2B cruises booked separately the new coffee program expires at the end of each cruise.

Maybe this is just the latest example of Princess being consistently inconsistent. :confused:

Hopefully by our Spring 2019 B2B cruises they’ll have a standardized procedure so we can decide about which elite minibar exchange option is best for us...appreciate sharing your experience. :)

Thanks for the information which is different than what’s written in the T&C and what Princess Customer Relations told me last week that on B2B cruises booked separately the new coffee program expires at the end of each cruise.

Maybe this is just the latest example of Princess being consistently inconsistent. :confused:

Hopefully by our Spring 2019 B2B cruises they’ll have a standardized procedure so we can decide about which elite minibar exchange options are best for us...appreciate sharing your experience. :)

You're welcome...and that's why I'm posting my experience. We traded our first minibar for coffee packages and purchased a soda and more package for daughter. For the second leg, after being assured that the coffee package(s) would still be good, we traded the mini-bar for diet cokes. Financially, it wasn't the best deal. However, it got us the best possible value in things that we would use.

You're welcome...and that's why I'm posting my experience. We traded our first minibar for coffee packages and purchased a soda and more package for daughter. For the second leg' date=' after being assured that the coffee package(s) would still be good, we traded the mini-bar for diet cokes. Financially, it wasn't the best deal. However, it got us the best possible value in things that we would use.[/quote']

That’s great that it worked for you & with our cruises being on the Royal the free filtered coffee made from ground coffee works okay for us.

Due to the uncertainty for our Spring cruises we might just get 20 beers & 20 sodas during our 14 day cruise and skip specialty & brewed coffees.

Who assured you that the coffee program would be valid on both cruises?

Thanks Moki'sMommy. I'll be on her soon (in a Window Suite). Glad the Crown Grill and Sabatini's was a step up on the second portion.

Can you tell me if ... you ran into Head Waiter Prashant Chimbaikar anywhere on the Golden? I've watched him move up from waiter to Sabatini breakfast/CrownGrill waiter to Head Waiter ALL on the Golden.

Looking forward to more from your review.

Who assured you that the coffee program would be valid on both cruises?

I asked the woman who came to deliver our mini bar for the second leg. She asked what, if anything, I wanted to trade out, so I asked her whether the coffee program would continue to be valid or not. She wasn't sure, so made a phone call, got off the phone, and told me it was valid until we disembarked. Based on that, I instructed her that we'd like to trade for diet cokes.

Interestingly, on the first leg I was informed by a barista that there were no tea bags at the IC--only the specialty teas were available. I still don't know if that was right or not, but the premium tea bags appeared on the second leg!

The difference might be that the OP was in the same cabin for both segments and had a cruise card that was good for both segments. If they had been in a different cabin for the second segment and thus requiring a different cruise card it may not have carried over.

The difference might be that the OP was in the same cabin for both segments and had a cruise card that was good for both segments. If they had been in a different cabin for the second segment and thus requiring a different cruise card it may not have carried over.

I also wondered if that’s the reason & hopefully that applies to our B2B cruises in the same cabin.

However that’s not what’s in their T&C which Princess confirmed to me.

Absolutely, and I can't predict what might have happened under other circumstances. I can only report how it was handled on our cruise.

Another inconsistency--on the Caribbean Princess, we did not get the bath salts, On the Golden, we got them on each leg. In both instances, we were in an HA cabin that does not have a tub. I'm delighted to have them--I'll enjoy them in my tub at home.

Not surprised at the differences in food, plating and serving between cruises. The Head Waiter, Chef and Maitre d’ can make a big difference. Same menu, same ingredients, same recipes, different outcome.

Years ago, we took a cruise to Hawaii. The food in the dining room was really sub-par: the French onion soup was watery, flavorless, almost cheese-less with a huge bread covering; meats tended to be over-cooked, gristly, poorly plated; vegetables were over-cooked; service was excruciatingly slow; etc. After sailing from Lahaina back to Ensenada, the food was noticeably better. Meats were tender and prepared the way we ordered, vegetables were perfectly cooked, service improved, etc. Turns out the Head Chef had been on vacation and rejoined the ship in Lahaina.

That’s why when people post that food quality has declined or it was awful, I usually recommend that they give Princess another chance. Food is subjective but a good chef and prep staff can make a big difference.

Thank you so much for this, it’s really helpful. We are on a b2b in Alaska next summer - booked as two separate cruises, with different cabins as we weren’t allowed to book it as one cruise. Please could you tell me what happens on turnaround day? Did you have to pack all your belongings and get off and go through immigration etc etc before reboarding?

Thank you so much for this, it’s really helpful. We are on a b2b in Alaska next summer - booked as two separate cruises, with different cabins as we weren’t allowed to book it as one cruise. Please could you tell me what happens on turnaround day? Did you have to pack all your belongings and get off and go through immigration etc etc before reboarding?

We have done several B2Bs, and each one has been different depending on ship, location, etc. The only consistency is that we have always received a letter in our cabin on the last day or one day earlier giving us all the details. IF you are in Whittier, there is no Customs or Immigration, so you don't have to do that, and you don't have to get off at all. If you are at a different port in Alaska, I can't comment. On all Princess cruises, we were given an "in transit" or "continuing passenger" pass that allowed us to re-board at our convenience if we chose to get off--no waiting in lines or anything. Often we were instructed to show the pass and use the cruise gangway.

We booked as 2 cruises but were able to get the same cabin. In instances where we got a second cruise card, we were able to get it at guest services--no standing in line at the terminal. When we did change rooms, we packed up our things, kept essentials like passports with us, and the stewards moved everything else. I've read of people being told to keep stuff in drawers and the stewards just traded out the drawers--that wasn't our case.

In some ports, they are required to "clear" the ship meaning that everyone has to either get off or be screened on board by a border agent. This is easy IF everyone complies. Again, the instructions differ depending on how many guests are doing B2B. When there are only a few, you generally have to get off the ship, but you can turn around and get right back on. When there are a lot, you will be told to meet at a certain place. A crew member will verify your documents as you enter. Then the agent will show up and you will walk past him as you exit. He's supposed to check your passport, but at times they don't even make you open it!

Also, we've been told on Princess that we were NOT required to attend the second leg muster drill. This is a big deal to us because Princess doesn't do a very good job with HA issues at the drill, even when we speak to them about it. (What we ask is to be released about 1 minute before the masses so we can get to an elevator; some other lines reserve elevators for those using mobility aids as well as releasing us early). On our August 2018 B2B, we got the nasty letter when we didn't attend the second drill, after being told that we didn't need to! Oh well.

So, all I can tell you is to follow the instructions in the letter you will receive and speak with your steward. Also, check on line periodically to see if you can get the same cabin for both legs--it's easier that way.

If you turn around in Whittier, you can take both cards to the exit. They will clock you out on one card and clock you back in on the other. I talked to someone who said they didn’t do anything and that Princess does it for you, but I just like to make sure. Whittier is very small, but a nice walk if the weather is decent and the Swiftwater Cafe has great seafood. The 26 Glacier Cruise is amazing!

If you turn around in Vancouver you have to be off the ship by about 10:30. You follow the Crew signs into the terminal, then use your in transit card to get into the fast lane for security and then go thru immigration. You’ll go to the waiting area but should be able to board first. The whole process is a real pain and you get conflicting directions. You can also leave the terminal and go into Vancouver, but the lines get really long for immigration after about 11am.

Not surprised at the differences in food, plating and serving between cruises. The Head Waiter, Chef and Maitre d’ can make a big difference. Same menu, same ingredients, same recipes, different outcome.

Years ago, we took a cruise to Hawaii. The food in the dining room was really sub-par: the French onion soup was watery, flavorless, almost cheese-less with a huge bread covering; meats tended to be over-cooked, gristly, poorly plated; vegetables were over-cooked; service was excruciatingly slow; etc. After sailing from Lahaina back to Ensenada, the food was noticeably better. Meats were tender and prepared the way we ordered, vegetables were perfectly cooked, service improved, etc. Turns out the Head Chef had been on vacation and rejoined the ship in Lahaina.

That’s why when people post that food quality has declined or it was awful, I usually recommend that they give Princess another chance. Food is subjective but a good chef and prep staff can make a big difference.

Very interesting. Surprised that considering how many professional chefs are on board change in head chef can make such a difference. We have seen huge differences in food preparation on different ships and guess that is the reason.

Very interesting. Surprised that considering how many professional chefs are on board change in head chef can make such a difference. We have seen huge differences in food preparation on different ships and guess that is the reason.
It can vary night-to-night. I was on a 15-day cruise last November and my friend ordered a chicken soup/stew (can’t remember the menu name) that looked delicious. It was thick, rich and had chunks of white meat chicken. It was back on the menu a week later so I ordered it. It was awful: watery, tasteless, tiny pieces of picked off the bone dark meat chicken. I couldn’t eat it.

Thanks for the helpful advice. We are turning round in Whittier so that all sounds straight forward. At the moment we are in a mini suite going north and a suite coming south hence the different cabins.

We had to do NOTHING in Whittier. In fact, since we were staying in the same room, we suggested to our steward that he NOT do our room that morning, given how busy he'd be with turn over day in all his other cabins. He thanked us and just asked us to put up the "do not disturb" to give him an official reason.

Good luck on getting a suite for your northbound leg!

Agree

In the past, under the same conditions with one card on a B2B even our internet minutes rolled over as well as getting the second set of minutes

Srpilo

It is truly interesting how different each leg can be on a B2B. We did a 5 day Caribbean w/ an 8 day Christmas cruise one year, and the 2 cruises were completely different. The first one was one big party, and the second was very family oriented. If only we could stay on a ship all season to see all the differences!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums