Room Service not free on RCI?

The wife and I usually cruise carnival so this paying for room service is new to me. I would normally give the delivery person a $5 tip for room service. If I am paying for room service and gratuity is also being added to that fee, am i expected to also give the $5 tip i usually offer? I will probably give it anyway, just want to see what the majority of you guys are doing.

If Royal adds the 18% gratuity, I would probably not see the need to add more.

The wife and I usually cruise carnival so this paying for room service is new to me. I would normally give the delivery person a $5 tip for room service. If I am paying for room service and gratuity is also being added to that fee, am i expected to also give the $5 tip i usually offer? I will probably give it anyway, just want to see what the majority of you guys are doing.

It's just like Carnival in that the Continental Breakfast is free but the hot breakfast items are extra. You can order a bunch of muffins and cereal and not get charged.

OFF the wall question...and I hope it never happens...if I contract noro and am confined to my room, do I still have to pay for room service?

The doctor will explain that the quickest and easiest way to get better, in addition to medication, is to stick to their recommended 'gastro' diet & give you a copy. There is a sequence of foods to have as you recover. You ring room service and select items from the gastro list - boiled eggs, white toast, bananas etc. Later you can have steamed vegies etc. They delivery will include disposable cutlery etc, and everything not consumed is to be placed in a supplied bag for collection - you have to call for collection, not just treat as normal trash.

As re-hydration is a vital part of recovery, you will be provided free bottled water & sports drinks from room service.

How do I know all this - personal experience :-(

The doctor will explain that the quickest and easiest way to get better, in addition to medication, is to stick to their recommended 'gastro' diet & give you a copy. There is a sequence of foods to have as you recover. You ring room service and select items from the gastro list - boiled eggs, white toast, bananas etc. Later you can have steamed vegies etc. They delivery will include disposable cutlery etc, and everything not consumed is to be placed in a supplied bag for collection - you have to call for collection, not just treat as normal trash.

As re-hydration is a vital part of recovery, you will be provided free bottled water & sports drinks from room service.

How do I know all this - personal experience :-(

Very interesting, thanks for sharing. Hopefully I will never have to experience this!

The Wife?

I didn’t realize that there was a fee for room service. My mother often stays on the ship while the rest of my family is in port. Most of the time she will order room service for lunch. She usually tips generously, but maybe not this next cruise lol. I guess we have been spoiled by Celebrity’s free room service 🤪

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I understand that you can meals for free at the buffets and restaurants but you are essentially paying fore the convenience and privacy of eating in your room and not having to deal with lines and crowds.

$7.95 is a steal for room service. Trust me, having paid $22 for pancakes and bacon for room service at a hotel one time while I was on a business trip, I wouldn't mind paying RC's reasonable service fee for eating breakfast while watching the sunrise on our balcony.

BTW, isn't there a coffee maker in each room?

I understand that you can meals for free at the buffets and restaurants but you are essentially paying fore the convenience and privacy of eating in your room and not having to deal with lines and crowds.

Only in a JS or above if sailing from a US port.

HI all, thanks for posting the room service menu! Can anyone tell me what the food is like since they started charging? The menu looks a little different that what I remember from last cruise a year and a half ago - I certainly don't remember an 8 oz burger. :)

Hoping the food from room service is a little better than it was previously. Any thoughts?

Thanks so much,

Alicia

I'm always befuddled by many peoples' "outrage" at having to pay a $7.95 room service fee for the "luxury or convenience" of having meals or drinks brought to your room? In many cases, these seem to be the same people who seem to have no problem with multiple cruises booked at any given time, take frequent vacations, book excursions and upgraded staterooms, dine in specialty restaurants, frequently stay at hotels, and don't mind paying parking fees at terminal garages, etc., All of those expenses add up to many thousands of dollars every year and certainly eclipse any amount that would be spent on room service charges?

What am I missing here?

It just seems that even multiple $7.95 room service charges during any one cruise, makes up such a small part/percentage of the total cruise expense, I'm not understanding why it seems to cause so much "heart burn" among some folks? Is it just "the principal" of thing (something that used to be "free") that causes the annoyance? If I'm not mistaken, isn't $7.95 about the same price as just one "upscale drink" at the bar? It would really bother me to have to "niggle" over each little additional expense while I was on vacation. Life's too short! Regards to all.

it's because it was always included before.

much like charging for MDR or buffet, paying for a coffee at restaurant etc is norm in many places, just not previously on cruises

so that's what you're missing. If they charged to eat in MDR, would you have same attitude?

$7.95 is a steal for room service. Trust me, having paid $22 for pancakes and bacon for room service at a hotel one time while I was on a business trip, I wouldn't mind paying RC's reasonable service fee for eating breakfast while watching the sunrise on our balcony.

charging $5 for breakfast at windjammer and $10 for lunch and $20 is still a steal as well

charging $5 for breakfast at windjammer and $10 for lunch and $20 is still a steal as well

If that were to happen I think I would be done with cruising. That would be an extra $35 a person per day, plus tax and gratuity, so really like $40 each.

Right now we generally book all-inclusive resorts or cruises because for the most part everything is included and it's cheaper in the long run. Start charging for meals and I will be better off flying to an island for the week.

Well its not really an outrage more of just a question since all my past cruises on various cruise lines room service was always included.

I'm always befuddled by many peoples' "outrage" at having to pay a $7.95 room service fee for the "luxury or convenience" of having meals or drinks brought to your room? In many cases, these seem to be the same people who seem to have no problem with multiple cruises booked at any given time, take frequent vacations, book excursions and upgraded staterooms, dine in specialty restaurants, frequently stay at hotels, and don't mind paying parking fees at terminal garages, etc., All of those expenses add up to many thousands of dollars every year and certainly eclipse any amount that would be spent on room service charges?

What am I missing here?

It just seems that even multiple $7.95 room service charges during any one cruise, makes up such a small part/percentage of the total cruise expense, I'm not understanding why it seems to cause so much "heart burn" among some folks? Is it just "the principal" of thing (something that used to be "free") that causes the annoyance? If I'm not mistaken, isn't $7.95 about the same price as just one "upscale drink" at the bar? It would really bother me to have to "niggle" over each little additional expense while I was on vacation. Life's too short! Regards to all.

No coffee makers in the rooms on RCI, only JS and up.

I don´t have a problem with the room service fee on RCI at all, but it can´t be compared to room service at a hotel. On the ship the food is already part of your fare, while in a Hotel that´s usually not the case. So at a Hotel you´ll pay for the food itself, while on the ship it´s for the delivery only.

No coffee makers in the rooms on RCI, only JS and up.

I don´t have a problem with the room service fee on RCI at all, but it can´t be compared to room service at a hotel. On the ship the food is already part of your fare, while in a Hotel that´s usually not the case. So at a Hotel you´ll pay for the food itself, while on the ship it´s for the delivery only.

I also don't have a problem with it, I just wasn't aware of the charge and wanted to clarify and avoid any surprises at the end of the cruise. Morning coffee and sometimes juice and danish are about the only room service we ever order anyway so its not even an issue. I've paid higher service charges just accessing my own money at my own bank :')

I know this is off topic for the breakfast menu, but would you happen to have a copy or link to their cocktail menu please. We are sailing on Harmony in November

There is no single cocktail menu, several of the bars have their own menus.

Though this is not from Harmony, there is a drink menu in this recent Adventure review:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2648189

I will probably do room service once or twice. I plan on parking my butt in the room to watch the Niners play on Sunday 9/16. Hopefully the Roku works on the TV, or I'll use my phone. But while I'm in my room for 3 hours I'll most likely be ordering room service. They seem to have a nice selection if gameday foods! A Wagyu beef burger, Philly cheese steak, grilled quesadilla, fried chicken wings, nachos, etc! Lots to choose from, or just order them all! All for just under $10!? If I was ordering one thing, I can see that being just blah, but just ordering two or more is a great deal and more than worth it, imo.

I can go for just those 3 hours right now...

Actually in a hotel you will pay for the food AND a room service fee, and possibly a mandatory gratuity.

Continental breakfast is free. Hot items breakfast will incur a $7.95 charge per order plus 18%

When did this begin? We haven't been on RC in about a year-and-a-half and this is news to me. Irritating news, I might add.... Another example of the nickel and diming that I've witnessed over the last 17 years since our first RC cruise.

When did this begin? We haven't been on RC in about a year-and-a-half and this is news to me. Irritating news, I might add.... Another example of the nickel and diming that I've witnessed over the last 17 years since our first RC cruise.

I don't know the exact date but it's been quite sometime now.

Don't worry.

The hot breakfast is much better than before and well worth the small charge as you get as much as you want.