Panama Canal Cruise

diligaf51

Now back to the original question. Keep in mind two important characteristics of a Canal cruise.

#1 - The Canal transit usually has a narrator who describes most of the journey over the P. A. system. Many lines will not pipe the commentary into your cabin. Equally as important is that you will likely want to see everything as you transit the Canal which you can do only on an open deck.

#2 - The transit from the Caribbean to the Pacific is, believe it or not, a west to east trip so if you want sun on your side you'll need a starboard cabin.

Not pertinent to your question but another curious fact is that the Canal is, longitudinally, east of Miami Florida and is in the Eastern time zone.

Now back to the original question. Keep in mind two important characteristics of a Canal cruise. .

Host Walt, I’m always impressed with how well you and the rest of the hosts and monitors do their job and think it’s one of the tougher ones, but.............Oh, this was soooooo much fun!!!

I realize there are probably a few posts that had to be removed, and there was only one way this was going to go, butt it was fun as long as it lasted, oops sorry about that slip!! The problem now is, some poor poster who comes on and hadn’t seen the original title will read all or our ‘so funny’ posts will seriously wonder about these crazy posters and never want to cruise with us. Don’t worry, this will be a major subject in more than a few Roll Calls aboard ship.

Thank you to the OP for giving us a good ride, and thank you Walt for taking proper care of us child-idiots.

For the OP on Subject: There is always a discussion on which side to have a SR. Some warn that if you have a SR on the ‘sunny’ side, ie South for winter cruising, that you’ll get a very hot veranda. We had one and not a problem. We had the South//Sunny side and it was fine.

If you try to pick a SR for the sun/no sun, make sure you read Host Walt’s post about which side of the ship is the correct side, remembering going from Miami/FLL to San Diego/LA you’ll be going West to East in the actual Canal, and since this is done usually in the Winter or very early Spring months, the Sun will be to the South. Have fun working out the geometry on that one, but Walt said correctly the Starboard is the Sun Side for a Carribean to Pacific crossing.

Also, you will see tons of seabirds and with the Canal transit, you’ll see the Caribbean/Atlantic seabirds and then the Pacific seabirds. I’m not a bird watcher that much, but it is really neat seeing all the different types that are in the differnt Oceans. Saw a Blue-footed Boobie - my wife insisted I pretended to see it so I could just say ‘that word’, but fortunately I took a photo of it....she still didn’t believe me. I guess she knows me too well.

Den

Edited by Denny01