New Menu rollout....Any info yet?

jewliana

On 10/3/2018 at 7:57 AM, 300dtc said:

Just got off the Gem, not really impressed with the new menus, a lot of the choices just didn't appeal and I'm not a picky eater! I wish I had taken photos of them, food wasn't as good as it has been on our other cruises, except of course at LeBistro and Moderno.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I got off the Jade on September 28 and complained to the f&b officer about the MDR food selection and he said it was a new menu to be rolled out fleet wide. The choices didn’t appeal to me either so we only ate in the MDR 3 times compared to our usual 9 times on 10-12 day cruises. Thank god for O’Sheehans and the free latitudes dinners.

lambchops were still available at Moderno 

Edited by lamchops

11 hours ago, lamchops said:

I got off the Jade on September 28 and complained to the f&b officer about the MDR food selection and he said it was a new menu to be rolled out fleet wide. The choices didn’t appeal to me either so we only ate in the MDR 3 times compared to our usual 9 times on 10-12 day cruises.

Could you please elaborate a bit more? We'll be on Jade in about 23 days. Were the selections poor and very few? or the food not delicious? Cold? Yucky? Slow service? Was there seafood? Bread and butter served with dinner?

Was OSheehans better than MDR? In what way, please?

We just got off the Escape on Sunday and it seemed to us that the food in the MDR was a lesser quality than on previous cruises. The desserts are horrible!! One of the desserts ( I forgot what they called it, cherry something) in the Manhattan Room had Jell-O in it. I doesn't get much cheaper than that.

Wow this is very disappointing to hear! I’ve always loved the food in NCL over other comparable cruise lines but it seems to be that they are intentionally downgrading the quality of the MDR food to push cruisers to spend extra dinning at their specialty dinning restaurants. Not cool! 

12 minutes ago, Mikkar said:

We just got off the Escape on Sunday and it seemed to us that the food in the MDR was a lesser quality than on previous cruises. The desserts are horrible!! One of the desserts ( I forgot what they called it, cherry something) in the Manhattan Room had Jell-O in it. I doesn't get much cheaper than that.

We are going on the Escape in 3 weeks, this is so sad to hear. Do you have any pictures of the menu? Did you get a chance to check out the specialty restaurants. I really would like to know if lamb chops are still in Moderno on the Escape so that we can decided if need to adjust our dining reservations. 

4 hours ago, Mikkar said:

I hope they have kept a Souffle dessert on the menu.  I've skipped Cagney's dessert to get the Souffle in the MDR before.

I am curious and I forget from past experience.  

Do they post what will be served in the MDR for the whole cruise so it easier to maybe pick nights to eat in the specialty locations ? Or, do you find out the day of what is being served? 

I admit to being a picky eater  :classic_blush:

6 minutes ago, ASell said:

I am curious and I forget from past experience.  

Do they post what will be served in the MDR for the whole cruise so it easier to maybe pick nights to eat in the specialty locations ? Or, do you find out the day of what is being served? 

I admit to being a picky eater  :classic_blush:

they will sometimes put menus up the night before...but usually day of

From reading other posts, it seems people are unhappy with changes made to speciality menus as well as MDR menus. I travel with picky eaters who also have dietary restrictions and we have been pretty happy with things. We generally eat at Cagney's and La Cucina, but often eat the same things there, so if those happen to be gone, it will be a disappointment.

If you are on newer ships, they might have the week's menus on the TVs in your room. If not, you should be able to get the week's MDR menus at the restaurant reservations desk -- that's what we did last year on the Dawn to help plan our dinners. 

23 hours ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

Could you please elaborate a bit more? We'll be on Jade in about 23 days. Were the selections poor and very few? or the food not delicious? Cold? Yucky? Slow service? Was there seafood? Bread and butter served with dinner?

Was OSheehans better than MDR? In what way, please?

We ate at the buffet the first night as they were serving a good cut of prime rib. That was our best non specialty restaurant meal. We had 3 meals early in the cruise in the MDR and had issues on all 3 occasions. Dry pork loin, wet Caesar salads, and tasteless appetizers. The dessert choices were not appealing and chose sherbet each time. We would check the posted menus each day upon returning from the ports and the selections were not enticing enough to want to spend 90-120 minutes in the MDR. Trying to find seafood was a challenge and the salmon Caesar at O’Sheehans was decent. The buffet served roasted chicken at the carvery on seafood night. Lol!

O’Sheehans posted the dinner special at the podium each afternoon. We ate there a couple of times as it was quick and if I didn’t like the special I could always have the wings. 

I was just disappointed with the MDR and the lack of concern from the maitre d and the food and beverage officer. An example was we both ordered pot stickers one night and Each portion contained one 2” potsticker. DWs potsticker was deformed and 3/4 the size of mine. When we were asked how our meal was by the maitre d we told her potstickers meant plural as in more than one as well as DWs issue. She went into a long spiel about how they were outsourced and inconsistent. Wrong answer! I wanted to know how it made it on the plate, where are the visual quality checks and did it make it on the plate because throwing it away affects their foodcost.

We’ve been on 3NCL European cruises the last 12 months and the division between MDR and specialty dining has never been greater. I will continue to cruise with NCL but will purchase a dining package to go with my platinum latitude dinners.

Thank you, Lamchops! I appreciate your information.

I hear the wings at O'Sheehans are very nice. And I hope Jasmine Garden has good offerings.

I greatly prefer Princess for its fabulous food, but this Thanksgiving Princess had unreasonable prices on 2 of the cruises we eyed, and very mediocre itineraries. We decided to give NCL a try since the itinerary is very nice and it's a 10 day cruise for less $$ than Princess's 7 day cruise. I guess we'll be paying for it in other ways, namely, by being disappointed in food. :( We won't starve by any means, but we are traveling with friends who will be even more disappointed in Jade's meager offerings.

P.S. Somebody just posted pics of their Getaway dining escapades, and they definitely had 2 potstickers on the plate. :) I guess Getaway is doing better in the food department.

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy

On ‎10‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 11:36 AM, zry900402 said:

We are going on the Escape in 3 weeks, this is so sad to hear. Do you have any pictures of the menu? Did you get a chance to check out the specialty restaurants. I really would like to know if lamb chops are still in Moderno on the Escape so that we can decided if need to adjust our dining reservations. 

Unfortunately, I didn't take pictures and the only specialty restaurants we ate at were Le Bistro and La Cucina so not sure about Moderno

20 hours ago, Sand and Seas said:

I hope they have kept a Souffle dessert on the menu.  I've skipped Cagney's dessert to get the Souffle in the MDR before.

Not sure if we're talking about the same one but the Chocolate Lava cake is gone. It was my absolute favorite dessert on NCL ships.

13 minutes ago, EllieinNJ said:

WHAT???  IMPOSSIBLE!!!  That was the only decent dessert on the menu.

2 hours ago, Mikkar said:

Not sure if we're talking about the same one but the Chocolate Lava cake is gone. It was my absolute favorite dessert on NCL ships.

Seriously?! How much cheaper can they get? Based on this trend, we soon are going to be eating pizza, hot dog, and pudding cups in MDR...

On 9/11/2018 at 8:17 AM, BostonGal35 said:

Anoop, the Concierge, called and spoke to someone in Moderno after i heard this from another couple who had dined there the night before. So its def true on Getaway, and its probably coming fleet wide soon. We ended up canceling, and i did get lamb chops in LaCucina (we opted to try that instead, hadnt eaten there in a few cruises as its our least fave of the specialities).

Haven restaurant had awesome lamb, i ate that 3 nights. lol

Just off 2 weeks on Dawn. My FAVORITE lamb chops are gone on new La Cucina menu. Radical changes/deletions on that one. Major pizza section added. Had 2 very good meals there, but disappointed that so many favorites are now gone.

On 10/25/2018 at 2:04 PM, zry900402 said:

Seriously?! How much cheaper can they get? Based on this trend, we soon are going to be eating pizza, hot dog, and pudding cups in MDR...

Last few cruises the Lava Cake has been on the menu, but only one night - whereas before it was always on the desert menu. 

1 hour ago, Norway97 said:

Just off 2 weeks on Dawn. My FAVORITE lamb chops are gone on new La Cucina menu. Radical changes/deletions on that one. Major pizza section added. Had 2 very good meals there, but disappointed that so many favorites are now gone.

Can you tell us what you had at LaCucina that you liked?

It looks like our old favorites are gone so maybe we can try what you liked.  It appears they added more pasta and another salad choice.