C-Pap Machine in cabin

flowers44

My cousin and I are traveling on the Liberty of the Seas on Sept. 16th. She uses a C-Pap machine. This is my first time traveling with someone who uses one. What should we do in preparation for her being able to use her machine while onboard the ship. Knowing the lack of outlets in the cabins, do we bring a power strip and extension cord or will RCI provide approved ones for her to use? She also needs distilled water for it. Does RCI provide that as well? Just want to make sure we have everything in place when we check in.

My cousin and I are traveling on the Liberty of the Seas on Sept. 16th. She uses a C-Pap machine. This is my first time traveling with someone who uses one. What should we do in preparation for her being able to use her machine while onboard the ship. Knowing the lack of outlets in the cabins, do we bring a power strip and extension cord or will RCI provide approved ones for her to use? She also needs distilled water for it. Does RCI provide that as well? Just want to make sure we have everything in place when we check in.

Once you contact special needs they will put a gallon of distilled water and an extension cord in your room. It will be there when you arrive. You can also email them at special_needs@rccl.com; just tell them your reservation #, stateroom # if you know it, date sailing and ship.

Thank you for the link. I have filled it out and submitted the form. I also sent an email to the Special Needs Department. We are in a Promenade Room so I know the outlet will be on the opposite wall from the bed. I am planning on bring some duct tape along to fasten down the extension cord to the carpet to prevent a trip hazard during the cruise.

Thank you for the link. I have filled it out and submitted the form. I also sent an email to the Special Needs Department. We are in a Promenade Room so I know the outlet will be on the opposite wall from the bed. I am planning on bring some duct tape along to fasten down the extension cord to the carpet to prevent a trip hazard during the cruise.

Not a bad idea. RCI will provide the cord and water. Yes, the plugs are at the vanity/desk, so duct taping the cord down will help with safety issues.

No Karen, there will be no charge.

No worries...if the extension cord and distilled water isn't in your cabin just mention it to your cabin steward and he/she will make sure it's delivered before bedtime. The duct tape is a good idea but we just unplug the machine it during the day and DH sleeps on the side of the bed that would make sure I don't have to step over it at night.

If the CPAP has wireless capabilities make sure it is on Airplane Mode! I am sure Royal and who ever will find you & charge you a seriousamount of money!

It doesn’t matter...The CPAP will not be able to connect with the ships WiFi. I’ve taken mine many times and it just waits till it can connect with my home WiFi to upload the data.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Not a bad idea. RCI will provide the cord and water. Yes, the plugs are at the vanity/desk, so duct taping the cord down will help with safety issues.

No Karen, there will be no charge.

I use magnetic hooks to route the extension cable to the floor, I unplugged it every day as I keep my suitcase under the bed and every time I pulled it out it was an issue with the cord.

There are Velcro reusable covers like this https://www.amazon.com/SafCord-Carpet-Cord-Cover-Length/dp/B01AV8W2VA/ref=zg_bs_6577538011_13?_encoding=UTF8&refRID=1Q4CRQ7PYDY7D31N9NVB&th=1

I have a similar one that is PVC that I may bring next time.

I use magnetic hooks to route the extension cable to the floor, I unplugged it every day as I keep my suitcase under the bed and every time I pulled it out it was an issue with the cord.

There are Velcro reusable covers like this https://www.amazon.com/SafCord-Carpet-Cord-Cover-Length/dp/B01AV8W2VA/ref=zg_bs_6577538011_13?_encoding=UTF8&refRID=1Q4CRQ7PYDY7D31N9NVB&th=1

I have a similar one that is PVC that I may bring next time.

My last cruise my room attendant duct taped the provided ext cord to the carpet to eliminate the tripping hazard

Call Special Needs Dept.

They will provide an extension cord. They can also arrange distilled water. However, tap water is just fine for a 7 day cruise especially since the ship makes its own fresh water

I just wished Royal would provide distilled water in a smaller container than a gallon...Seems like a waster for a 7 day cruise.

1) As stated, sometimes the water and cord are not in the room waiting at 1:00. But, it is easy to just ask the cabin attendant for it, and they take care of you. Sometimes its there, sometimes not. If you need an extension cord, don't wait to ask, so they have time to get it and they don't run out.

2) I've been told by my supply provider that plain bottled water is fine for short term use such as a trip. But, that would be personal preference. Maybe some who have certain sensitivities may want to use distilled. In my case, I've not had to use water unless I'm having sinus issues, so I don't worry about a gallon of water. If I need it, I use bottled. But, you should check with your provider to verify if you can use bottled.

No worries...if the extension cord and distilled water isn't in your cabin just mention it to your cabin steward and he/she will make sure it's delivered before bedtime. The duct tape is a good idea but we just unplug the machine it during the day and DH sleeps on the side of the bed that would make sure I don't have to step over it at night.

I agree with the above. I use a CPAP and have always requested distilled water and an extension cord that will reach the opposite side of the bed so my wife would not trip over it at night. Side of the bed closet to balcony). I put the cord down at night and roll it up in the morning. Only once did I have to remind the cabin steward that I needed an extension cord. I also bring a small 3 prong extension cord.

Once you contact special needs they will put a gallon of distilled water and an extension cord in your room. It will be there when you arrive. You can also email them at special_needs@rccl.com; just tell them your reservation #, stateroom # if you know it, date sailing and ship.

Or when its not, you can remind your cabin attendant. Lots of good information here so far. I had to ask the cabin attendant one time. But now I'm proud to be CPAP free! To the OP, in case your friend doesn't know it, Airlines are not allowed to count this type of medical equipment as their carry on -quota. Sometimes these machines come in very normal looking bag or cases that can be confused as normal carry ons.

1) As stated, sometimes the water and cord are not in the room waiting at 1:00. But, it is easy to just ask the cabin attendant for it, and they take care of you. Sometimes its there, sometimes not. If you need an extension cord, don't wait to ask, so they have time to get it and they don't run out.

2) I've been told by my supply provider that plain bottled water is fine for short term use such as a trip. But, that would be personal preference. Maybe some who have certain sensitivities may want to use distilled. In my case, I've not had to use water unless I'm having sinus issues, so I don't worry about a gallon of water. If I need it, I use bottled. But, you should check with your provider to verify if you can use bottled.

This is a good post, but I'll disagree slightly. It's more up to you that your provider. As long as there is nothing in the water that would vaporize and bother you. The water in every cpap I have seen has a stainless steel bottom to which a heat source is applied to the other side. One week of tap water followed by a cleaning at home will not cause harm to a $10 reservoir that can be replaced. <$10 reference is admittedly an old reference.

You can always fill the reservoir with tap water and let it sit all day. I know from experience that most chlorine in public drinking water dissipate after a few hours. Do ships use chlorine? If not there might a a small presence from the salt purificaiton I believe.

This is a good post, but I'll disagree slightly. It's more up to you that your provider. As long as there is nothing in the water that would vaporize and bother you. The water in every cpap I have seen has a stainless steel bottom to which a heat source is applied to the other side. One week of tap water followed by a cleaning at home will not cause harm to a $10 reservoir that can be replaced. <$10 reference is admittedly an old reference.

You can always fill the reservoir with tap water and let it sit all day. I know from experience that most chlorine in public drinking water dissipate after a few hours. Do ships use chlorine? If not there might a a small presence from the salt purificaiton I believe.

Agreed. Ive always just used tap water out of the sink while on a cruise for my CPAP. :) opening a gallon of water for 7 days is just wasteful to me.