The Downside of Booking Tours with other Cruise Critic Members 😡

SM Cruiser

I agree with all you said. If my DH and I were experienced travelers, I would probably plan for more private tours, like our friends do. However, I don't think I will ever shake that horrible feeling in Naples not knowing if we were going to make it back to the ship in time before it left!! I think another factor in private vs ship excursions is the total time spent in port. That has to be one of the most important things to consider, plus whether or not the tour area is known for extreme traffic conditions. Planning ahead is important, but you must be prepared for the unexpected!!(yn)

Always remember that in Europe it is fairly easy to catch up to your ship and usually by railroad, sometimes by flight or ferry, so if you didn't make it back, at least you would have had a little travel adventure. I always look at such things as an interesting challenge and know I will laugh about it later - well actually, I have been known to laugh about it while it was going on - what else is there to do?

We enjoy doing private excursions with other CC members. The ones we did have worked quite well. They are cheaper, smaller and more personalized. We only join excursions that guarantee to get us back to the ship on time or that end well before sail away. It can be quite costly to get from one port to the next even though you may not have a far distance to travel. It happened to people we know and it was an ordeal we would not like to experience. We would not consider it an adventure to be stuck in a port without clothing or other essentials.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

So do Spain Day Tours. They get credit card info but you can pay the guide with cash on the day of the tour.

So much easier than people cancelling at the last minute.

Agree! I don't see those kinds of tours to be a problem. We had a great experience with this company in Spain.

That's really an unfortunate experience. We have done both private, and ship excursions. I'm partial to the ship tours and here's why. In Naples we were on a private tour, we got stuck in a terrible traffic jam, and barely made it back in time before the ship left. Then in Greece, our tour guide kept talking about the horrible political situations, and disappeared for quite a while as we waited in the van for her to return. In Egypt our driver almost hit a pregnant woman, and people began to shout and scream at us. It was quite frightening. Our excursion in Istanbul was ship sponsored, however, our guide didn't realize that we were delayed because the entrance ticket machine got jammed up, and left without us. We tried to reach our group, but just couldn't catch up with them. On our Caribbean Cruise, all our excursions were thru the ship, and I was much more relaxed knowing the ship would wait for us, no matter what the delay was. I must add that on all the private excursions, we meet some extremely nice fellow cruisers as we were planning the tours on the Roll Call boards. I guess it's whatever experiences you've had concerning excursions that determines your preference.

I made my DH do a private tour in Alaska and we ended up running so late, he couldn’t enjoy the float plane at all. I just won’t make him that uncomfortable again.

Agree! I don't see those kinds of tours to be a problem. We had a great experience with this company in Spain.

On my upcoming cruises, I have a ship's shorex in Morocco, a ship's transfer, a tour with Spaindaytours, 6 tours organised for just the 4 of us and a day on our own with nothing planning except a walk along the esplanade in one port. So we are fairly flexible and pick what suits us best when it comes to differing ports. Most importantly, is researching and then making informed decisions on what to do, the costs involved and the other risk factors involved.:D

OP - I'm sorry to hear this happened to you.

Whenever I've joined tours with other CC posters, it was always made clear what the expectation was should someone wish to cancel.

I've joined quite a few tours with people from roll calls and have only had one that I didn't like (mainly due to the other people on the tour). It's a risk you take when joining others. While I would love to book all my tours for just the two of us, my budget simply doesn't allow for that.

I really only involve an extra couple on occasions where the numbers are required for the tour to proceed, otherwise it is just the 2 or 4 (if with friends) of us.

You refuse solo travelers and only allow couples to participate with you?

You refuse solo travelers and only allow couples to participate with you?

I understand the problems that singles have when traveling. However, accepting singles on a tour does impact the cost of the tour to everyone else. Say a tour costs $100 and I have 8 people on it. That means that the cost per person is $12.50 per person. If I take a single, that increases the cost per person to $14.90 per person. This would not bother me and I do take singles on my tours but it might bother other people. On the plus side, however, taking a single does give us more room in the vehicle.

DON

I understand the problems that singles have when traveling. However, accepting singles on a tour does impact the cost of the tour to everyone else. Say a tour costs $100 and I have 8 people on it. That means that the cost per person is $12.50 per person. If I take a single, that increases the cost per person to $14.90 per person. This would not bother me and I do take singles on my tours but it might bother other people. On the plus side, however, taking a single does give us more room in the vehicle.

DON

This is why a lot of us take ship excursions and yet a lot of people will still say that the 100% single supplement is justified since we don't "spend as much" per person to make up for the loss of one person in the room. I would really like the cruise lines to prove this.

9Do you ask these internet strangers how large they are to be sure they will not take up too much room prior to permiiting therm to contribute to your costs?

DON

Sure, just toss us aside, no problem none of us know jut whenw

e will be a 'solo' Many of today's solos were half of a oouple until they no longer were. . nO one is immune or has any guarantee Blink of an eye,,,,,,, so sad, so sorry, one is suddenly a solo. How sad when people worship money so dearly, at the cost of decency. Easy for me,to never tour with your group. as I have clearly stated i would never commit to tours with strangers from the internet. I know for sure fhat is a vey good choice for me. I hope your rumbers keep addng up to your required total. Oh Holy dollars Thank you for the arithmetic lesson.. I suppose most of us are able to wok the numbers. :eek: Happ y days

I think this thread actually has been a big help to solos. i It high lights the severe risks one takes in blindly signing on to chip into cutting gthe cost for strangers who may or may not be nice people or the sort with whom you want to share a lot of time and some amount of your money. I learned my i initial instinct l is right for me. I likely would leave some group, get my own transportation back to the s sip and 'see 'ya. :) bye

Edited by sail7seas

This is why a lot of us take ship excursions and yet a lot of people will still say that the 100% single supplement is justified since we don't "spend as much" per person to make up for the loss of one person in the room. I would really like the cruise lines to prove this.

JMO but I do not think the cruise lines have any obligation to prove anything to us. We have the choice to book or not if we do not like their terms.

Somethng non one mention as to solo spening is the though one may travel lone, they might mett popl long the wqy ane hve a drink with them in lojng. ho ys thgt solor my not pick up the check for all h drinks of the gthering they ranged and put together. ,. it is arther common for one to pay for a new acquintance's drink if theya re pleasnt compny. I know I have certainly done that.

Edited by sail7seas

I'm not sure it's the cruise lines who are saying this or if it is others in the travel industry who collect information. However, I'm quite sure the cruise lines track this information carefully along with all other spending.... And if it were true that solos spend MORE than 2 people onboard, they would be bending over backwards for our business. Since that's not happening, I suspect the opposite is true.

Some things in cruising are just counter-intuitive. How many times have we heard people suggest that cruise lines should try harder (with better loyalty programs and the like) to retain past passengers -- but the reality is that new cruisers tend to spend more per person than past passengers: they purchase more photos, more souvenirs, more shore excursions (because they are often unsure how real is the threat of the ship leaving without them), etc. And I'd guess they probably drink more, spend more at the spa and at onboard auctions, and so on.

DON

I do a lot of private tours and singles are always welcome on mine as well.

Theoretically, yes, it can increase the cost but honestly many 8 seater vehicles only hold 7 comfortably. Many require someone to squeeze in that front seat (not all).

So, the way I look at it is my solo passenger helps fill the van to the maximum that is COMFORTABLE.

I'm big on comfort and would rather everyone pay a few dollars more and my tour companions are comfortable than save a $, euros, GBP, AUD, whatever and someone is miserable.

We have two marvellous ladies on our next cruise that are solo. I've cruised with one and delighted to meet the other. They are welcome to join us on any tour (and one is on everyone) and in fact, we will have the pleasure to have one of them at our table in the PG along with others.

We answered a request from a Cruise Critic member for additional people to join a tour to Seville from the port of Cadiz, leaving today.

The tour was a Jewish history tour in Seville booked with a very highly rated guide called Moises Hassan-Amselem at Jewish Sevilla Tours. The cost of the tour was 80 Euros per person and there were 8 of us.

The organizer of the tour requested transportation be arranged from the port to Seville ( 90mins e/w) from the guide Moises. Our guide arranged private transportation for our group.

Today, 2 hours before the ship docked in Cadiz I received a call from the organizer to advise that one of the couples had got a health issue and therefore wouldn’t be attending, the other couple had not wanted to pay the increased rate so he arbitrarily decided to cancel the tour.

We had no input into this cancellation and were left with no tour booked for today, more upsetting though was the fact that Moises, the guide, had paid for our private transportation out of his own pocket, so he is now out of pocket for this expense plus he has lost a day’s wages !

I believe that the couple that had committed should have been obligated to pay what they had committed to without it impacting other travelers. It turns out that Moises had agreed to reduce the rate but the organizer from these boards just did not respond.

This event has spoiled this day for us, we feel really bad for the person whose livelihood depends on people like us.

This behaviour was shameful,

The behaviour is shameful indeed.

First of all the organizer (and I do a lot of organizing) should never have cancelled the tour at the last minute and left the guide hanging.

Secondly, sorry for the couple that were ill but they were committed and should have paid their portion of the tour, sick or not. That's how private tours work - just like ship's tours. The organizer (I struggle to use the word to describet them a such) should have talked to everyone when this happened if the other couple was not going to live up to their obligation.

thirdly, if the organizer had a wait list, they could have probably found someone to possibly fill their spot.

I make it clear to all my participants that they are committed. I've had some people have to back out due to illness, toured out, whatever but they have never shorted our group. And, fortunately I had a waitlist, and when I could reach some then I was able to knock on the non pariticpants door and happily give them back their money :)

What happened to you is wrong. :(What happened to the tour operator is wrong :(

I am sorry to hear it but don't give up on CC roll calls and private tours.

Look to see if your organizer requires you email them. That way, you get a chance to "chat" and feel things out.

Look to see if the organizer can answer any questions and if they have done tours before. And if they use the words "committed" at the near final stages.

Cancelling at the 2 hour window is so unfair - both to you and the operator and puts a bad blot of the organizers that try to do this stuff :(

DON

I mostly prefer to DIY in ports but occasionally I've arranged and/or taken private tours. I haven't run into any problems with people accepting solos on these tours. For one thing, there are an increasing number of solo travelers, so it's entirely possible that you might have two solos interested.

For another, I feel most of the people interested in tours -- at least on the cruises I've done -- understand that the price of the tour depends on the number of participants: if 4 sign up it's one price, if 6 it's a different price, if 7 slightly less, etc. Overall the difference between 6 and 7 or 7 and 8 is not so great that most people would care if it's the tour they want.

I am really sorry that this happened to the OP, it certainly should not have been handled this way.

We have had the experience of a couple dropping out at the last minute, but have never heard of the organizer cancelling the tour. That is just awful for the people who were still going on the tour, and for the tour guide who got stuck with the cancelled tour. That just should never happen.

If that was a tour we had booked, we would (and have) picked up the extra ourselves. If it was someone else's tour we would (and have) offered to help pick up the extra from those who cancelled. If it is us who has to cancel due to illness, which we did on one tour, I was not well and DH paid for our part anyway, that is only fair.

We have done many tours with others on our roll calls, I have also organized a few myself.

We do occasionally take a ship tour but not often.

Occasionally if it is some place really special I book a tour guide just for us. It's more expensive but it's been worth it.

Everyone has to do what they are comfortable with.