Is this new? Pool observation...

momof4girls

I just got off the Liberty yesterday, and I noticed something I’ve never seen before. There was a worker near the pool all the time with a whistle, and he would use it any time people (mostly kids) were doing anything that might be considered a “no no”.

I noticed the same thing on the Elation this week. I wondered why he was standing there, as I never saw him use a whistle or say anything to anybody. He would just slowly walk around the pool, but I only noticed him in the evenings, not during the day when the pool was crowded.

Horizon pool is 6 feet on the deeper end. I am over 6 feet but I had to stand on my toes to keep the water level at my chin. I think it is 4' 9" on the shallower end. The attendant told me he was having training on turnaround day and had to go into the water twice recently to assist an unattended child. I did not ask if was an actual lifeguard

I hope the Monitor can SWIM. Would be pretty sad, if an emergency occurred.

Just like at the beach, you swim at your own risk. Having a pool "monitor" can help prevent situations that lead to emergency situations. I'm sure that if it were a medical emergency, there are enough people around to help. The pools are usually standing room only anyway.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Not being sarcastic: Are any of the pools on Carnival ships deep enough to worry about being able to swim? I honestly don't recall being in water any deeper than 4 feet...

What does it matter? Humans have been known to drown in mere inches of water. Are you suggesting adults not mind their minor children in the pools? Safety first!

Not being sarcastic: Are any of the pools on Carnival ships deep enough to worry about being able to swim? I honestly don't recall being in water any deeper than 4 feet...

Kids are allowed in the main pools and yes, some can be 4 feet or under and could possibly drown.

Short adults could drown.

People who are even taller than 4 feet get in pools without knowing how to swim. If they panic for whatever reason, they too could drown.

Accidents happen

What does it matter? Humans have been known to drown in mere inches of water. Are you suggesting adults not mind their minor children in the pools? Safety first!

I was referring to whether the "pool monitor" was going to have to know how to swim - presumably the pool monitor, if expected to do so, should be at least tall enough to man-handle someone in distress, and therefore, if the pools were only four feet deep, probably would never actually need to swim.

I do recognize that people can drown in inches of water, and kids especially need to be watched.

I was referring to whether the "pool monitor" was going to have to know how to swim - presumably the pool monitor, if expected to do so, should be at least tall enough to man-handle someone in distress, and therefore, if the pools were only four feet deep, probably would never actually need to swim.

I do recognize that people can drown in inches of water, and kids especially need to be watched.

Thanks for clarifying, very reassuring and good of you to come back and share.