Questions about EZ Check

Bollycats

Last year on the Regal we got the EZ Check paperwork and I thought "Why would I spend $25 X 2 just so they can take my bags?" I thought it was a waste of money. We got to FLL and the baggage check line was crazy long! Luckily we had upgraded to first class and that check in line was short.

This year we're on the Royal and will probably not upgrade to first class. So now I'm thinking EZ Check would be a good idea--no hassle and no standing in a long line. The money will be worth it.

My original question was when I check in using the Delta app and it asks how many bags I'm checking do I say one even though I'm not actually dropping the bag? Then I found an old Cruise Critic UK thread and it said if you do EZ Check they print your boarding passes for you the night before. So I guess they check in for me and this eliminates using the app? They also said if you get free checked bags for some reason you should show proof so you don't get charged. I have the Delta Skymiles American Express card that allows 1 free bag per person. How do I prove this? The online itinerary doesn't show the free bag, but it does when I check in on the app. Since the UK thread was old I don't know if this information is still correct.

Can anyone help?

Yes, when you fill out the form, you say how many bags. The charge is for the service, not the number of bags.

Princess checks you in, prints out your airline luggage tags and boarding pass. You put out your bags the night before with the airline tags on them. When you get to the airport, you go straight to Security.

I always bring an extra copy of my airline booking and highlight anything of importance, such as First or Business Class so that I’m not charged baggage fees and hand it in along with the form.

IIRC there is a place on the EZ Check form to explain if you should be getting some or all bags checked free with the airline.

Also, I'm not sure if Delta does it the same way but I've got a card with American that provides one free bag. It's linked with your frequent flyer number and whenever we check bags it comes up automatically that the first bag is free.

Thanks, idahospud. So I guess where it says "Membership number" I will put my Delta frequent flyer number since it's connected to my Amex card. (don't want to put my credit card number!) Seeing the form helps to understand what happens.

Last year on the Regal we got the EZ Check paperwork and I thought "Why would I spend $25 X 2 just so they can take my bags?" I thought it was a waste of money. We got to FLL and the baggage check line was crazy long! Luckily we had upgraded to first class and that check in line was short.

This year we're on the Royal and will probably not upgrade to first class. So now I'm thinking EZ Check would be a good idea--no hassle and no standing in a long line. The money will be worth it.

My original question was when I check in using the Delta app and it asks how many bags I'm checking do I say one even though I'm not actually dropping the bag? Then I found an old Cruise Critic UK thread and it said if you do EZ Check they print your boarding passes for you the night before. So I guess they check in for me and this eliminates using the app? They also said if you get free checked bags for some reason you should show proof so you don't get charged. I have the Delta Skymiles American Express card that allows 1 free bag per person. How do I prove this? The online itinerary doesn't show the free bag, but it does when I check in on the app. Since the UK thread was old I don't know if this information is still correct.

Can anyone help?

Just did this 2 weeks ago on the CB......

They still required a copy of our itinerary to be included with the EZ Check paperwork turned in onboard. You cant get a screen shot of the "free bag" and print it out?

Colo Cruiser, it shows the free bag when I check in online on my phone. I can't do this until 24 hours prior and I won't have internet on board. On the form I see the spot to put notes and my frequent flyer number so that should work.

I wonder what will happen since Jet Blue and United have increased their baggae fees to $30.00?

Princess puts on your onboard account any baggage fees that the airline will charge. So if the airline charges $30 for that bag, $30 will be on your account.

os EZcheck available on all princess ships?
It’s available on all Princess ships disembarking in Ft. Lauderdale. Not available in NY, San Francisco or LA. It’s for US domestic flights only. Seattle offers a free service similar called Port Valet.

Thanks, idahospud. So I guess where it says "Membership number" I will put my Delta frequent flyer number since it's connected to my Amex card. (don't want to put my credit card number!) Seeing the form helps to understand what happens.

We did that on CB last month. No questions asked, no baggage charges. (Delta FF/Amex)

Does Princess do EZ check in Seattle?

see answer below

It’s available on all Princess ships disembarking in Ft. Lauderdale. Not available in NY, San Francisco or LA. It’s for US domestic flights only. Seattle offers a free service similar called Port Valet.

We did port valet in Seattle last summer. My sister did it this year. The port will take your bags off the ship and transport them to Sea Tac Airport. You will pick up bags at your home airport. Very nice gesture. It is called port valet because the city of Seattle picks up the cost to transport your bags from ship to airport.

We did port valet in Seattle last summer. My sister did it this year. The port will take your bags off the ship and transport them to Sea Tac Airport. You will pick up bags at your home airport. Very nice gesture. It is called port valet because the city of Seattle picks up the cost to transport your bags from ship to airport.

That is lovely. Is it new? I can’t remember hearing about it on my last couple of cruises out of Seattle.

Is that a free service? We used EZ-Check in FLL last month. Same service, but $25 each. We thought it was worth it.

We use this service as much as possible....very convenient. However, the last time we used it (May 2018 out of Ft. Lauderdale to CT), we were not assigned seats anywhere near each other. It did not make a difference to us because we were on a direct flight, but for a family with young children, this may pose a problem. If we had checked in ourselves early in the 24 hour lead time, this probably would not have been the case because the traveler checks in with certain personal criteria in mind for them. Princess does not.....to them this is just another upsell oportunity. Just something to consider when using this service.

We use this service as much as possible....very convenient. However, the last time we used it (May 2018 out of Ft. Lauderdale to CT), we were not assigned seats anywhere near each other. It did not make a difference to us because we were on a direct flight, but for a family with young children, this may pose a problem. If we had checked in ourselves early in the 24 hour lead time, this probably would not have been the case because the traveler checks in with certain personal criteria in mind for them. Princess does not.....to them this is just another upsell oportunity. Just something to consider when using this service.

We already had our seats reserved. (This was on Delta, using EZ Air. I visited the Delta site and picked the seats. We only booked a week in advance because of a late change of plans - not planes. YMMV with other airlines.

Don't see this as an upsell oportunity for Pincesss....just my opinion;). It's a great service that we appreciate and use this service all the time and we pick our seats when making our plane booking so what Princess does for us is check us in, print our boarding passes and check our luggage:)

That is lovely. Is it new? I can’t remember hearing about it on my last couple of cruises out of Seattle.

It has been available in Seattle only this year and last year. It is basically operates the same as the Princess EZ-Chek program. It is paid for by the Seattle Port Authority and was started to compensate the traveler for the congestion at the airport do to the large construction project going on at SeaTac. While I have no inside information of any sort, I suspect that it will still be available during the next cruise season UNLESS the construction is completed before the start of the next Alaska cruise season (April, 2019.)

Tom

Specific to Delta, there's not a problem letting them check you in via EZ Check and then logging on the app the day of travel to pull your electronic boarding pass (and change your seats if you want).

FWIW, I routinely check in with more bags than I end up eventually really checking at the airport since I'm allowed 2 per person between frequent flier status and my DL AmEx.