Can I sit at LAX airport from midnight till 9am when my cruise starts boarding?

fstuff1

There's a 24 hour Starbucks one mile walk from the Southwest Terminal (North of the airport). Buy a drink, settle in with earbuds and a book and they won't mind.

I live in so cal. Not sure I’d walk with my valuables at midnight from the airport into westchester.

There are hotels south of LAX in El Segundo, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach, etc.

Another thought, do any terminals have those places you can rent for a quick nap? The 24 hour lounge, recommended earlier, is a good idea too.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I would look at getting a hotel in San Pedro (Best Western?) and get a good night sleep. I would not expect boarding the ship at 9am either. I have sailed several times out of the area and never boarded too early. Last year, we boarded the ship closer to 11am

I have stayed a few times for short delays like this in airports. It will never be as comfortable as a hotel but sometimes it is only a few short hours anyway so you aren't getting a good nights rest anyway.

Earbuds with a white noise app, a ball cap that I can pull down and I can get enough sleep to get me by.

I think this is less about the $. I think the more important issue is what time you'll get in and having enough "buffer time." I would take the earlier flight and go to a local hotel for a few hours. But I wouldn't book in advance, because if you get in late, the hotel may be less critical (ie, only 3 hours until port instead of 9). Can you fly in any earlier the night before? Enjoy LA a little for a late dinner? Airport sleeping is not fun.

You've used the Hilton LAX lobby for this purpose? Sleeping overnight?

I wouldn't think the staff at the Hilton LAX would approve of or allow people to just come sleep in their lobby.

No...not for sleeping. We always park our car there before a flight and have used the lobby for long waits. Get a bite to eat there and wait for the shuttle. We do book a room there frequently when we have an early morning flight though!

I was suggesting that it is a good place to grab some food and wait in a comfortable place until Uber/taxi/lyft comes to take them to the port.

This Hilton is also a great place to stay overnight in a PAID room.:D

My god people the OP asked if it was possible, NOT opinions on doing it. :rolleyes:

Sitting in an airport for 6-7 hrs is not going to "sabotage" (as one person put it) ones vacation. If this was some tiny podunk airport that has no activity after 10pm then its a different story. But, it is LAX, a major international airport open and operating 24/7. The op will (per their post) only have carry on so they can stay airside with food/beverage and rest rooms. Just grab a book, headphones and find a semi comfortable corner for a few hours and you will be fine. Pulling an "all nighter" wont kill you.

Try the Wyndham LAX - they have a free shuttle from the airport and then you can UBER from there in the morning to the Port. It'll be cheaper than trying to find a room near the port. We just stayed there a month or so ago. We flew in from Arizona for a concert at the LA Forum. They are reasonable. You don't want to start your cruise super tired. This is your vacation-- set yourself up to relax from the moment you land. :-)

This thread cracks me up, because no one here has probably ever heard of Drum Corps International (DCI). Every year, after their World Championship Finals, the busses take thousands of corps members to the airport in Indy around 1-2 AM and drop them off. These members, who have spent the entire summer sleeping on school gymnasium floors all over the country, roll out their sleeping bags in the baggage claim area and sleep until the check in counters open. It is quite a sight, with all these 15-22 year olds sleeping all over the floor!

Here are some pictures:

https://www.flomarching.com/articles/5967694-getting-floor-time-in-indy-airport-after-finals

Edited by GA Dave

My god people the OP asked if it was possible, NOT opinions on doing it. :rolleyes:

Sitting in an airport for 6-7 hrs is not going to "sabotage" (as one person put it) ones vacation. If this was some tiny podunk airport that has no activity after 10pm then its a different story. But, it is LAX, a major international airport open and operating 24/7. The op will (per their post) only have carry on so they can stay airside with food/beverage and rest rooms. Just grab a book, headphones and find a semi comfortable corner for a few hours and you will be fine. Pulling an "all nighter" wont kill you.

[emoji106][emoji106][emoji106][emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]

If you are that cheap. I would suggest you take the train to the cruise port. You first need to take a shuttle to the Green line and then transfer again. Probably take a couple of hours but kill some time and save you cabfare.

LAX is not the niceset airport. I have slept in Asian and European airports but they are totally different than US airports. Even arriving late at night to LAX it seems like it is shutting down and looks far from bright and inviting.

It's an airport.....you just need a chair in quiet area. I have spent hours in airports on layovers many times, people do it every day. It can be done and will not kill you as some seem to think.
[emoji106] [emoji106] [emoji122] [emoji122] [emoji106] [emoji106]

It's an airport.....you just need a chair in quiet area. I have spent hours in airports on layovers many times, people do it every day. It can be done and will not kill you as some seem to think.

Of course, it's not going to kill you. I did it myself many times when traveling in the military however, going on vacation it is not a fun, nor comfortable way to start a relaxing vacation. To do it just to save a couple of bucks is absurd.

To each their own.

Of course, it's not going to kill you. I did it myself many times when traveling in the military however, going on vacation it is not a fun, nor comfortable way to start a relaxing vacation. To do it just to save a couple of bucks is absurd.

To each their own.

Lets not pretend a hotel at that time of night is going to be some refreshing oasis that is the perfect way to get things started. At best, after debarking and traveling to the hotel you may have 5 short hours before it is time to get up to prepare to leave if their goal is a 9am arrival at the port.

Travel in that time frame will be tiring no matter what you do.

Lets not pretend a hotel at that time of night is going to be some refreshing oasis that is the perfect way to get things started. At best, after debarking and traveling to the hotel you may have 5 short hours before it is time to get up to prepare to leave if their goal is a 9am arrival at the port.

Completely disagree. For those that do this frequently, five hours of comfortable sleep is a godsend. It can recharge you 90% for the next day. One to two hours of fitful sleep completely ruins me for full next day activities—makes it feel like a 48 hour day.

Spend the extra money and get in town EARLY. Have a nice meal and a full nights sleep in a good hotel. It's not rocket science. :rolleyes: