Hurricane cancelations!

See current track of storm heading to the South Caribbean

https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_at4+shtml/085656.shtml?cone#contents

Looks like we are about in the middle of the season. Hopefully in another month the worst will be over and I am sure it will. Well, of course not sure,but think this isn't going to be a repeat of last year.

I've been in Florida for about 25 years. My experiences have been the worst hurricanes/storms have happened in late October and even mid to late November. Lets not forget Wilma October 25, 2005 that was a monster Cat 5 that went through the western Caribbean and hit Cancun as a Cat 5 only to come and hit Florida. I lost my roof in Miami Beach. Severe damage was from Key West to Ft Pierce with so many losing their roofs. Cancun was completely destroyed. Tropical Storm and Hurricane Gordon 1994 killed almost 1200 people across the Caribbean including 8 people in Florida. The storm started on Nov 6 and finally fizzled as a hurricane on November 21.

Peak hurricane season is Sept 15 and how exact science that 2 years in a row we have major hurricanes exactly during its peak. Irma last year at this time and now hurricane Florence striking exactly during the peak week. Ocean water is at is warmest late Sept and early Oct. I would say there is an equal chance as a hurricane in October as July or August. However after the peak Sept 15, the season drops significantly. There is less chance of a hurricane in November than say June, etc.

Its still early so lets hope that one model of it turning north happens. So much can happen with each day. And each day the track may change.

I understand what you are saying, 2 of our 3 kids live in Florida, but still, you have to admit the majority of the time the heavy season in from mid August to mid Oct. There are always exceptions. We were on a cruise that ended about 4 hours before Andrew hit. Luckily we were on the plane and on our way back to Texas before it reached land. I have also barely missed a few others. The fact still remains; anyone that is concerned about the possibility of being affected over Thanksgiving week is likely worrying about nothing :rolleyes:

We have the travel protection plan and it states there is a cancel for any reason with a credit not refund.

Has anyone ever used this and does it work.

Cancel For Any Reason Credit Feature• TRAVEL ASSISTANThe following Cancel For Any Reason Credit Feature is provided by Norwegian Cruise Line and is notan insurance benefit.In the event you choose to cancel for a non-insured reason at any time up until departure and you havepurchased BookSafe Travel Protection Standard, you will receive a Norwegian Cruise Line cruise creditequal to 75% of the penalty amount imposed for your use toward a future cruise. Certain restrictions onthe use of these cruise credits may apply. To be eligible for credits, notification of cancellation must begiven to Norwegian Cruise Line prior to the ship’s departure.If you need to cancel your trip, please contact both Norwegian Cruise Line and Aon Affinity atwww.travelclaim.com (or call 1-800-722-5672) to initiate a claim.

yeah, i plan on taking the Breakaway on her 15day re-positioning cruise on oct 27 from ny to the Caribbean to new orleans.

Hurricane season lasts till the end of Nov :o

Yes, but if you research major storms the majority are in Aug and Sept. Very small chance of a bad hurricane in late Oct/Nov.

technically yes, it lasts until Nov 30th but think about it: how many times have you heard of a hurricane hitting land after late Oct or even after mid Oct for that matter? Anyone sailing after the 10th of Oct doesn't really need to be terribly concerned. Things happen but it would be very rare. I might add, this doesn't appear to be a heavy hurricane season. At least at this stage. The few warnings we have even heard of, pretty much fell apart before they hit land or were downgraded from hurricane status to tropical storms. The exception was Hawaii and they do not get hit often

Sandy kept us out of NYC on 10/29/12, did not port until 11/2.

Yeah I’m booked for a 10 day South Caribbean cruise out of Miami during Thanksgiving and wouldn’t mind switching to a cruise out of New Orleans during that time if my South Caribbean itenerary changes as a result of the islands not being accessible by cruise during that time. I live an hour outside of New Orleans and would prefer to cruise out of it if both cruises are going to the western Caribbean. No point in traveling to Miami and paying for hotel stay there when I could do the same cruise easier and cheaper from New Orleans.

Move your vacation up a month and take the Breakaway from NYC to NOLA. Easy direct flight to NYC and relax for 15 days. Short car ride home from the port.

And we lost power for a week, it was freezing!

Didn't we have some snow too?

My Halloween decorations couldn't be inflated of course and I thought I recalled seeing snow on them.

The kids missed out on 2 normal halloweens in a row. 2012 and 13 if I recall but could have been 2011/12 lol

Fwiw we also have had Halloween in 70 to 80 degrees and shorts too

30 minutes north of NYC. What a horror show Sandy was here. We all became quite rugged and felt like mountain survival types. I actually felt exhilarated and better for it

House runs on electric not gas so even a cup of coffee was tough to produce and FYI...it takes about 10 minutes for water to boil on a propane grill.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Florence might result in the Escape modifying its return schedule to stay further back & keep its distance from the storm, by a day or even two - thus, extending this week's modified 7 days to 8 or even 9. Every few will be happy with the change but mother nature is what this is ... and, having trip insurance or "self-insured" (flight changes, missing work & school for the young, etc.) Floating mega-ship is among the best shelter-in-place in a major storm/hurricane ... fully self-sustained & I'm sure they stocked extra provisions.

Next week, Escape is scheduled to do 7 days in NE/Canada - they might have no choice but to modifiy the itinerary to 6 or even 5 days. But, I don't see NCL finding it necessary to cancel the sailing entirely, a revised & shortened sailing will suffice - again, most will not be happy about it. Not a prediction but just a wild guess of what if ...

Speaking of Sandy, we sailed on the Gem 11/7/2012 on its "original" Caribbean itinerary - the prior sailing was shortened - and left on another major Nor-Easter ... blinding wet snow & wind-driven rain for our sailaway. Ship's captain charted the course/heading & blasted thru the storm in about 15+ hours, until about midday, for calmer seas, thru gale force cross-wind & 30' to 40' large waves ... we slept just fine & nothing fell inside our stateroom (secured loose items to avoid UFO's).

We left last October on the Breakaway for Halloween and it was a "small" Nor-Easter, had rough seas & waves during the overnight hours too ... but wasn't all that bad & by morning of Day 2, most are out & about, enjoying breakfast. Part of the difference, the same 20' to 30' waves feel and were handled differently on a mega-ship vs. middle sized ones.

Isn't Escape which left from NYC yesterday doing the FL/Bahamas route this week instead of Bermuda? I don't see this on the NCL home page and it should be a red banner across the top IMO.

A friend is scheduled on her birthday cruise (not NCL) to Bermuda this Thursday. . .this will be interesting!

Hurricanes in the Atlantic and Pacific this time of year. The Pride of American skipping calls on the Big Island today and tomorrow as Olivia heads towards the island. Two weeks ago, she just headed out to sea away from the storm.

eb63ff67f4a1478cd99e3339610bf848.png

c7acee48b0a81c0ad818463dd02fecfc.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk