Can I live aboard one or more ships? What is the best approach?

RetiredandHappy4

Sure - just about everyone here takes out travel medical insurance. But, you're right that I was not entirely correct - travel insurance (which I was thinking of) really won't cover you for more than about 6 months, but I realized there are some companies that offer global health insurance for ex-pats who live abroad for longer periods. For a 72 year old American woman, it would cost about $50,000 a year with a $1000 deductible. Of course, that drops to about $17,000 a year if you're on 60 years old.

Not all health insurance is limited to the US.

I have had my health insurance accepted at foreign providers as full payment.

You need to shop around, there are cheaper options.

Many people here on CC buy annual medical insurance policies.

I still think it sounds a lot better as an idea and the novelty would wear off quickly. The doctor onboard is not a primary care physician. Think we can assume the hypothetical person living on a cruise ship is retired which is usually accompanied by age and developing health problems. Many people value a regular doctor they can see for years and who is familiar with their history. The ships doctor or finding a doctor in whichever ports you are in this year is not that.

And yes, many people don’t have family and friends living near them; but they still develop aquaintances. Acquaintances that live near you that you see day to day are a lot different than meeting a completely new group of people every week. I think you’d be a lot more likely to develop friendships with the crew than other passengers.

This lifestyle might work for someone, but I don’t think it would work for most.

No one said it would work for everyone. There is a guy who lives on Royal Carib ship. He has a small condo at the port, and each time in port, he goes by to get his mail. '

He could also visit a primary care physician or dentist on that port day.

And he has LOT of acquaintances. And makes new ones every cruise.

Not all health insurance is limited to the US.

I have had my health insurance accepted at foreign providers as full payment.

You need to shop around, there are cheaper options.

Many people here on CC buy annual medical insurance policies.

I don't know what being limited to the US has to do with this.....we're talking about someone who will be outside of the US for a year or more. There are lots of annual medical insurance policies available for travelers, but we're not talking about a short term (3-6 months max) travel situation, we're talking about essentially living outside of US.

If you have an annual policy for travel medical coverage, you have an annual policy.

Same with MedJet for evac.

Having an "annual policy" doesn't mean it covers you every day of the year. If yours does, I'd like to see it, because every annual policy for travel medical coverage I've had over the last several decades has limits on how long any trip can be.

We have met people who basically cruise all year, whether or not they have a house on land.

They have mostly been on HAL ships that do longer itineraries, so there is variety in the ports, they're not doing the same 7-day cruise over and over and over again. They book them as multiple back-to-back cruises and keep the same cabin.

For example, on the Amsterdam several years ago … we took the 75 day Grand Asia & Australia, and boarded in Seattle in mid-September. There were passengers on board who had taken at least one of the Alaskan sailings in August and simply stayed on. At the end of the 75 days (ending in San Diego) they stayed on for another two weeks to go through the Panama Canal, to Fort Lauderdale. Then the Amsterdam did one or two 10-day-ish cruises, a holiday cruise (I think it was another 2 weeks) … they stayed on for that … and then they did the full Grand World Cruise, another 4 months, before disembarking back in Fort Lauderdale. For just a few months on land, then starting over in July/August for a similar program!! Every year …

I'm retired and have heard that in some cases, seniors can live as cheaply or cheaper on board a cruise ship...no, not doing dishes!

Does anyone have an idea of how best to approach this? Is it by hopping from ship to ship, or do ANY cruise lines offer deals to passengers willing to stay aboard for long periods?

Thanks

RetiredandHappy4

It would be hard to live cheaply or cheaper onboard. A low end cabin on a low end ship would still run $4000.00 per month. Seems a little high for wanting to live cheaper.

It would be hard to live cheaply or cheaper onboard. A low end cabin on a low end ship would still run $4000.00 per month. Seems a little high for wanting to live cheaper.

And that is a key issue.....cheaper than what. Here the average price for an "independent living" 1 bedroom apartment is about $4000-$5000 a month - that includes meals, and once a week cleaning. In another location, the average price might be $2500 or $3000 a month.

There are practical things to address such as "Domicile State" for drivers license, passport, taxes, voting and such. How to receive real mail and packages. There are lots of RVers who live permanently on their camper and found solutions. A quick Google search for "living without a permanent address" will get you lots of information.

It depends on where you live.

For some people, $4000 a month is apartment rent.

And this includes food and entertainment.

Having an "annual policy" doesn't mean it covers you every day of the year. If yours does, I'd like to see it, because every annual policy for travel medical coverage I've had over the last several decades has limits on how long any trip can be.

Look for expat plans. How do you think people who live outside the US handle this issue?????

GeBlue has one.

https://www.geobluetravelinsurance.com/products/longterm/xplorer-5-overview.cfm

Hmm, there is a doctor on board. And you will be into the same port every week or so, so can get off for the day and hit an on shore doctor and dentist.

/quote]

Talking about being on the same itinerary every week or two - a re-run of Groundhog Day. That on board doctor is a very expensive generalist.

If living on board a cruise ship were either enjoyable or affordable, a lot of people would be doing it — and not just the few well-publicized eccentrics who do it.

It is the classic example of a fancy idea which sounds great at first glance but is recognized as really bad when given any real thought.

Look for expat plans. How do you think people who live outside the US handle this issue?????

GeBlue has one.

https://www.geobluetravelinsurance.com/products/longterm/xplorer-5-overview.cfm

They have the medical coverage insurance which people who live in those countries have. For a US resident or citizen living on a cruise ship, Medicare (the core of most retirees plans) would not cover them at sea- so their other back-up coverage would be much more expensive.

It depends on where you live.

For some people, $4000 a month is apartment rent.

And this includes food and entertainment.

To live in a nursing home in MA is about $10,000 per month.

There is no reason for me to not consider living on a cruise ship. All of my family is dead. however,as much s i love cruisng, to live on a ship holds no appeal for me. A ship with a repeat iitinerarfy ( 7 or 10 day itinerary, all year round) would be more to my liking than one that had many different ports week after week. I would not wish to do a ton of touring but it would be hard to not get off and see somehting in some percentage of the ports.

To buy a one bedroom unit in a higher end senior living place is at least $35,00 and a monthly charge for services of a t least $13,000 + per month

Edited by sail7seas

I understand that this isn't for everyone. But what is? Since there are people who do it and who enjoy it, it must be doable for a small segment. This thread reminds me of a story my mother told while wintering in Florida in her RV. Her RV was close to 40 feet long with three slide outs. She had a guy in the park who was in a smaller pickup camper. They had a few conversations about living in his small camper and he said it was perfect for him. He used to have a camper my Mom's size, but when he retired it was to much. To much size, cost and upkeep. His smaller camper was what he wanted. She couldn't imagine being "coped up in that tiny cave", as she put it.

It depends on where you live. For some people, $4000 a month is apartment rent. And this includes food and entertainment.

To live in a nursing home in MA is about $10,000 per month. To buy a one bedroom unit in a higher end senior living place is at least $35,000 and a monthly charge for services of t least $13,000 + per month

I understand that this isn't for everyone. But what is? Since there are people who do it and who enjoy it, it must be doable for a small segment. This thread reminds me of a story my mother told while wintering in Florida in her RV. Her RV was close to 40 feet long with three slide outs. She had a guy in the park who was in a smaller pickup camper. They had a few conversations about living in his small camper and he said it was perfect for him. He used to have a camper my Mom's size, but when he retired it was to much. To much size, cost and upkeep. His smaller camper was what he wanted. She couldn't imagine being "coped up in that tiny cave", as she put it.

Good story. Thanks for sharing.

We all have our own preferences and needs and no one is wrong. Do what works best for that person.

Once we were docked across from a ship in San Juan that was only condos. Sorry, I don't remember it's name. The cost was above $100,000 too but a condo, not a cabin. You had a living room, dining room, bedroom(s) and a complete kitchen. There were fire doors in the kitchen. If you burned your toast, they would automatically close. But, you could also go the dining room any time you wanted. There is no set itinerary, owners decided where to cruise to, anywhere in the world. Some condo owners would rent their condo to others for a week or longer but have no idea of the cost.

Anyone tell us the name or more info on it?

To live in a nursing home in MA is about $10,000 per month. To buy a one bedroom unit in a higher end senior living place is at least $35,000 and a monthly charge for services of t least $13,000 + per month

Fair enough - but does a cruise ship provide sufficient and comparable services? Your food will be cooked for you and your dishes and room will be cleaned for you - but that’s about it. No nurse quality care unless you go to the medical center. No one to help you get around, get you bathed, and in general check in on you daily to make sure you are getting necessary care. For someone that wants a step above independent living it may be an option but I don’t think it would take the place of assisted living.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'd test it out first with a really long trip - round-world or a portion of. If the thought of doing it again is with you at the conclusion, living aboard full time might be for you. We met a couple on last cruise who had been on a smaller (500 pax?) round-world trip (total duration in 4-6 months?) with extended stays in several ports. They enjoyed it, but were glad to be back home when over. The husband's career (ER physician) let him basically work on contract part year and they could travel the rest or chill at home. Wife & I have discussed the cruise ship vs. elder home option, since we know well how many $K/mo it costs from experience of close relatives. Problem we see is when you need to go into the more advanced and expensive care levels, the cruise line's wouldn't take you any longer because you're now a health risk for them (and yourself). It might be a good alternative at least part year to active senior/1st-level assisted living communities.

If you get rid of your residence on terra firma, I see lots of advantages to living on a cruise ship; no property taxes, no home repair, no homeowner's insurance, no car expenses, no state income tax, no lawn to mow, and no snow to shovel. You'd have to move on to a nursing facility at some point, unless you are lucky enough to drop dead first.

My wife couldn't live on a cruise ship, I could, although I would leave for a week or two here and there for some time on land.

Once we were docked across from a ship in San Juan that was only condos. Sorry, I don't remember it's name. The cost was above $100,000 too but a condo, not a cabin. You had a living room, dining room, bedroom(s) and a complete kitchen. There were fire doors in the kitchen. If you burned your toast, they would automatically close. But, you could also go the dining room any time you wanted. There is no set itinerary, owners decided where to cruise to, anywhere in the world. Some condo owners would rent their condo to others for a week or longer but have no idea of the cost.

Anyone tell us the name or more info on it?

http://aboardtheworld.com/

There is a board here

Hmm, there is a doctor on board. And you will be into the same port every week or so, so can get off for the day and hit an on shore doctor and dentist.

/quote]

Talking about being on the same itinerary every week or two - a re-run of Groundhog Day. That on board doctor is a very expensive generalist.

If living on board a cruise ship were either enjoyable or affordable, a lot of people would be doing it — and not just the few well-publicized eccentrics who do it.

It is the classic example of a fancy idea which sounds great at first glance but is recognized as really bad when given any real thought.

No, it's not recognized as really bad, it's recognized as really different. Does it matter if it's the same itinerary for those who aren't doing it to see the world but to see the sea and live in a hotel? Does it matter if everyone doesn't do it, if you don't have a life like everyone else, or if you aren't waiting for the fantasy of having a life busy life visiting family and friends as many are? The reality for many is that their senior but relatively healthy years are spent in ways that they end up not liking very much (lonely, bored, tired), but they think they can't change. Well, some people can. No, it's not for everyone, but that doesn't make it a "really bad" idea.

They have the medical coverage insurance which people who live in those countries have. For a US resident or citizen living on a cruise ship, Medicare (the core of most retirees plans) would not cover them at sea- so their other back-up coverage would be much more expensive.

No, not always.

As I linked to, GeoBlue writes and EXPAT medical coverage policy.

Argue all you want, but annual, full time coverage, international policies ARE available.