You can message other pax using the HAL Navigator "app" - for FREE! Who knew?

POA1

As the OP mentioned, this is really a website that you can only access when you're on a ship. That's why it doesn't do alerts, other than showing you that you have a message if you check the website. The chat feature was handy when I used it in May, but there sometimes was a lag of a few minutes in message delivery. Not always "instant" messaging. I really liked the ability to customize an itinerary rather than having to carry around the Where and When. Everything was accurate on the app when I used it, but of course that's going to depend on the staff making sure it's accurate. It also automatically added booked shore excursions and dinner reservations to the itinerary list.

Could your Fire not "see" the ship's network or was it that the Fire's Silk browser? DW's Fire 8 HD has both Chrome & Firefox loaded, so if Silk doesn't work, she'll be fine. (I side-loaded the Google Play store so she could have access to a wider selection of apps.)
I don't remember. Sorry. I just remember it not working on Disney. Not sure if the app was up and running by the on the Rotterdam in 2016. By the time I got onto the Noordam, it was running well. Sorry, I'm confusing my cruise lines. I was able to stream Netflix on Royal Caribbean's Radiance.

I understand you cannot use this app til you board ship, however, can you download beforehand?

It’s not really an app that you download. It’s an internal web site that you access via the ship’s wi-fi. (I’m sure a techie could tell us the correct name for what it is. ;p) So no, there’s nothing to download before you board.

It’s not really an app that you download. It’s an internal web site that you access via the ship’s wi-fi. (I’m sure a techie could tell us the correct name for what it is. ;p) So no, there’s nothing to download before you board.

Better that way. Nothing to delete later.

It's an intranet website. That's a site that runs on an internal network as opposed to the internet at large. All you need is a web browser. Chrome, Safari, Firefox, Edge, Internet Explorer, etc.

As I understand it, it's the default page you hit when you connect to the ship's WiFi and open up a browser. Since you are don't need to connect to the internet to use it, there's no charge from HAL.

As I understand it, it's the default page you hit when you connect to the ship's WiFi and open up a browser. Since you are don't need to connect to the internet to use it, there's no charge from HAL.

This is correct. I'm currently on the Prinsendam, using the Navigator app/Intranet. I am using it on two iPads and one IPhone. On one device, the page does not automatically come up but one can still get it by typing in "login.com". Your user name will be your first initial, last name, and cabin number. For example, Jane Smith in Cabin 123 would have a user name of JSmith123. You set up a PIN at the time you create the account. You'll use the PIN to access your onboard account details and any time you need to log into the Navigator app (shouldn't happen often but I have had it happen a couple of times over the past two weeks).

I haven't used the chat feature simply because we do it the old fashioned way; DM did not bring her iPhone on the cruise and wouldn't know how to use the chat feature unless I was around to show her which rather defeats the purpose of the feature.

This is correct. I'm currently on the Prinsendam, using the Navigator app/Intranet. I am using it on two iPads and one IPhone. On one device, the page does not automatically come up but one can still get it by typing in "login.com". Your user name will be your first initial, last name, and cabin number. For example, Jane Smith in Cabin 123 would have a user name of JSmith123. You set up a PIN at the time you create the account. You'll use the PIN to access your onboard account details and any time you need to log into the Navigator app (shouldn't happen often but I have had it happen a couple of times over the past two weeks).

I haven't used the chat feature simply because we do it the old fashioned way; DM did not bring her iPhone on the cruise and wouldn't know how to use the chat feature unless I was around to show her which rather defeats the purpose of the feature.

Thanks for the clarification! We're bringing along a specially equipped, non-technical 81 year old male with an Android phone to assist with testing. I think I'll explain the messaging app more like leaving post messages for the other person, since the texting paradigm implies notifications of some sort. If course DFIL's cabin is next to ours, so there's always the fallback protocols of (1) knocking, (2) the room phones, and (3) actual post-it notes.

We used this app on our recent cruise. It was great being able to communicate with my teen while she was out and about!

One thing to mention, although it probably isn't relevant to most HAL pax... the messaging is only available to those age 13 and older. DS was 12 (one month until his 13th birthday when we sailed), and was unable to create a username or use the messaging feature. This was incredibly frustrating as I couldn't easily keep tabs on him when he was off with a friend. We had to keep finding each other, whereas DD and I just texted our location to each other and/or checked for the other person's location. It was SO much easier than running back to the room to leave a note/check for a note every time I was looking for her.

I also liked using the itinerary feature to select activities, lectures, or events that sounded interesting. Then I could check my itinerary to see what I had wanted to do. For example, if there was a lecture at 10am, a movie at 3pm, and trivia at 7pm, I didn't have to scroll through the entire list of activities to remind myself what time the movie would be on, or where to find the trivia game.

Thank you everyone for all the information you all have provided.

I prefer ti keep my phone in the safe. DH doesn't have a phone.

I used to do that as well until I read all the posts from people who had been on Insignia when it had a fire at the dock in St Lucia. Most people had left the ship for excursions or just to wonder through the stores at the dock and then came back to find they couldn't get back on ship to collect anything. They had to wait at the port until close to midnight when they were taken to the airport and flown to Miami on special charter planes. After reading about that, I now carry my phone with me if I leave the ship.