Wine

We plan to take a bottle of wine to Europe as a gift to our family when we see them at one of the med ports. We want to make sure the bottle is not taken away when we board. Is this possible?
I think the next question is whether they will let you take it off the ship when you get to the port where you want to give it as a gift.

Do they sell wine bottles on the Navigator of the Seas? That will save us the hassle of packing it in a suitcase and taking it on the ship. We took this ship back in 2011. Usually they sell bottles of alcohol, but we cannot recall if they had wine. Any thoughts?

the mark up on any wine purchased from the MDR or a bar is not worth it when you can buy excellent local wine at your ports at half the cost. so unless the wine you want to bring is the Gary's Vineyard Pinot Noir or a Chalone Chardonnay, don't bother.

Do they sell wine bottles on the Navigator of the Seas? That will save us the hassle of packing it in a suitcase and taking it on the ship. We took this ship back in 2011. Usually they sell bottles of alcohol, but we cannot recall if they had wine. Any thoughts?
I thought you had a particular wine you wanted to give them[emoji848]

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

the mark up on any wine purchased from the MDR or a bar is not worth it when you can buy excellent local wine at your ports at half the cost. so unless the wine you want to bring is the Gary's Vineyard Pinot Noir or a Chalone Chardonnay, don't bother.
So, there's only two decent wines in the US?[emoji485]

Yes, they sell bottles of wine on the ship, there's no limit to how many you can purchase, and you can consume them wherever you want on the ship with no additional corkage fees.

So, there's only two decent wines in the US?[emoji485]

Depending on year, it can go as high as 5. I am also a fan of Bernardus Marinus and anything by Hahn. The point I was trying to make is unless the wine the OP wants to bring can only be found locally, it makes no sense to schlep it themselves, and also it’s not worth buying a generic bottle on board either.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Depending on year, it can go as high as 5. I am also a fan of Bernardus Marinus and anything by Hahn. The point I was trying to make is unless the wine the OP wants to bring can only be found locally, it makes no sense to schlep it themselves, and also it’s not worth buying a generic bottle on board either.

Big fan of the 2018 Beringer White Zin. Couldnt find any in Copenhagen. Had to take a bottle off the ship. [emoji16]

To simply answer your question with no judgement... YES you can buy a bottle of wine aboard ship. It won't be cheap, and you may not have availability if you are looking for a specific wine. If your goal is to just find a nice wine as a gift, then you'd be much better off financially to buy one in your departure city before boarding. As others have said, Europe has a wonderful selection of wines and at a much more reasonable price than on board ship.

One possibility is buying a nice wine at Duty Free at your departure airport. That will be delivered to you on the airplane and you can carry it with you and not have to pack it.

So, hope this helps.

Big fan of the 2018 Beringer White Zin. Couldnt find any in Copenhagen. Had to take a bottle off the ship. [emoji16]

Sweet Zin is not very popular in Europe... where we favour the dry Italian Pinot Grigio Rose or some superb Spanish rose wines....

You really plan to bring wine from the US to a European country as a gift? I it Italy or France or Spain or Germany or any other wine-country? Just buy a good wine locally.

We want to take them something they don’t have which is what they do when they come visit us in the US. What you recommend would be like my family buying us a US wine when they arrive, to give to us as a gift. [emoji848]

What I meant was buying a US wine at a store on the ship not the MDR.

I guess we could buy it at the airport before we leave. Yes I mean after we pass TSA. [emoji16]

We want to take them something they don’t have which is what they do when they come visit us in the US. What you recommend would be like my family buying us a US wine when they arrive, to give to us as a gift. [emoji848]

I guess we could buy it at the airport before we leave. Yes I mean after we pass TSA. [emoji16]

I doubt you will find anything interesting.

Royal does not sell wines in the gift shops, plus you wont have access to it until you leave ship at departure port.

So, you have to buy wine at a bar venue and pay that price plus the 18% gratuity even if it is not opened.

Pack something in your luggage for the flight, then transfer it to your carry on fir boarding the ship.

What I meant was buying a US wine at a store on the ship not the MDR. [emoji16]

Right, it doesn't make sense to pick them up something they could easily buy themselves.

Shouldn't have any issues if it is within your 2 bottle allotment. Just don't get something so delicious you're tempted to drink it yourself:D. :-)

Right, it doesn't make sense to pick them up something they could easily buy themselves.

Shouldn't have any issues if it is within your 2 bottle allotment. Just don't get something so delicious you're tempted to drink it yourself:D. :-)

You think you don‘t get all kind of US wines in Europe? My point was that bringing wine from the US to wine countries in Europe is like bringing a Hamburger or Coke from here to the US. I know this is not a helpful comment...

You think you don‘t get all kind of US wines in Europe? My point was that bringing wine from the US to wine countries in Europe is like bringing a Hamburger or Coke from here to the US. I know this is not a helpful comment...

I understand what you're saying, that European wines, in general, are much better than U.S. wines, but you yourself noted exceptions, and people like what they like. There definitely are many U.S. wines in Europe, but not everything is available, just like some of them aren't readily available in other parts of the U.S. even.

For instance, there are quite a few New Zealand wines I would like to be able to get in the U.S., but they're not available. I would be quite upset for a friend from NZ to bring me a U.S. or European wine, especially if it is available locally and even if I thought the wine were better.

while there are a few semi decent California or Washington wines on board, you will pay much more for the privilege of purchasing on the bars/lounges. wine is not available in the shops. only Liquor.