Please explain the Royal Caribbean apps to me

HOSKI

I have an installed both apps the RCI app and the Royal IQ but I'm not sure how they can be used. The Royal IQ app tells me I need to be on the ship and connected to the ship's Wifi to use it. The other one, the Royal app shows my sailing but one cruise is too far away and the other doesn't use this app. When can I use these apps and what will I be able to do with them? I have searched the threads but they just confuse me.:o

On the main page that shows your cruise on the Royal app, click to get more details on the ships we support, then select your ship. From there you can see the list of dates to see how far in advance it goes.

If you choose one of the dates listed there, you can fiddle around to see what the app offers. Obviously it will be limited since you aren’t on the ship yet, but you’ll get an idea.

The Royal IQ was the predecessor app to the Royal App and only works on Quantum class ships and Hamrony.

It may not work the same as those two ships but it does work on the Adventure of the Seas. I think it works for other ship as well.

The best way to see is to download the app and sign in. The app will find your booking and list it if it is available.

The sign in was strange for me because it didn't recognize my log in for my current RCI account. I had to change my log in with the new change because RCI didn't recognize my Roadrunner address as it did in the past. I was able to sign in on the app under my old Roadrunner email address. That may be due to the fact I did have Royal IQ account with that email.

Shak

When can I use these apps and what will I be able to do with them? :o

Both apps are meant to be an electronic version of the on board Compass, a way to make/modify/delete reservations and a few other functions (like view your account, or texting others on board).

The Royal IQ app can only be used on board when connected to the ship's WiFi (and is limited to 4 ships).

The RCI app, which you'll use on Allure, lists sailings about 3 months out, so you can start interacting with it then (and of course once board as well). You can check in for your sailing and can also use it at check in as your electronic SetSail pass (bring a printed version as back up). This app is being updated fairly often now, so be prepared for changes.

I’m new to RC, so neither work on Liberty of the Seas? On our other cruise, each cabin had the ability to use a provided device or an app to communicate with other guests, is there anyway to do that on the ship without buying WiFi package? Would I still be able to text?

I’m new to RC, so neither work on Liberty of the Seas? On our other cruise, each cabin had the ability to use a provided device or an app to communicate with other guests, is there anyway to do that on the ship without buying WiFi package? Would I still be able to text?

No, though RCI app should be coming soon to Liberty.

RCI doesn't do that, you need a VOOM package.

Not without a VOOM package.

Thanks Bob. It just says your device isn't compatible with this version. :( Do you know what the minimum version of Android is for it to work? My devices are a few years old and operate with 4.4 and 5.1 so I am guessing that may be the issue.

Thanks Bob. It just says your device isn't compatible with this version. :( Do you know what the minimum version of Android is for it to work? My devices are a few years old and operate with 4.4 and 5.1 so I am guessing that may be the issue.

If you read down the page that is linked, it says Android 6.0 and above.

We've just come back from the Anthem OTS 9 days Canada and Massachusetts and the IQ app worked perfectly well for us. Saves carrying around the Cruise Compass in your pocket, it's all there up to date on your phone. You do not need an internet connection as such but you need to connect to the ship's wifi, don't worry about running up charges, unless you have signed up to a Room package you will not get to the WWW but you can still get IQ.

You should be able to do a systems update on your phone. Do you have updates shut off? I get system updates all the time. My phone is two years old and loaded both apps no problem.

You should be able to do a systems update on your phone. Do you have updates shut off? .

A phone that is running Android 4 is probably at least 4 years old and can no longer be updated via the carrier - maybe there is hope for the one running 5. One could root it and load something newer but that is beyond most folks’ ability.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You should be able to do a systems update on your phone. Do you have updates shut off? I get system updates all the time. My phone is two years old and loaded both apps no problem.

A phone that is running Android 4 is probably at least 4 years old and can no longer be updated via the carrier - maybe there is hope for the one running 5. One could root it and load something newer but that is beyond most folks’ ability.

The device running Android 4 is a Samsung tablet that only has WiFi connectivity and the one running 5 is my carrier-branded cell phone, both of which are coming up to 3 years old. When I go into the software update on them they both say the software is up-to-date; is that the same thing as system update? Or is that something entirely different? Rooting it is definitely beyond my ability - I don't even know what it means! :o

It's no big deal because my next cruise is on Navigator before she goes into dry dock so I don't think the app would be much use anyway for that cruise but I really appreciate your trying to help. :)

The Royal IQ was the predecessor app to the Royal App and only works on Quantum class ships and Hamrony.

It may not work the same as those two ships but it does work on the Adventure of the Seas. I think it works for other ship as well.

Shak

You sure about the Royal IQ app working on Adventure? The Royal app does list Adventure as one of the supported ships. As Bob noted, pretty sure the IQ app is quantum class ships and Harmony only.

You sure about the Royal IQ app working on Adventure? The Royal app does list Adventure as one of the supported ships. As Bob noted, pretty sure the IQ app is quantum class ships and Harmony only.

I am talking about the new Royal app not the Royal IQ.

Shak

When I go into the software update on them they both say the software is up-to-date; is that the same thing as system update? :)

Yes. Not sure why a 3 yr old device can't support something past Kit Kat (Android v 4.4) when Marshmallow (V 6) was already out 3 years ago.