Current Captains Continued

CCHelp

Ovation: captain Espín resumed duties yesterday 21.1.24

He has just been to Miami and been on Icon.  He confirmed Discovery class ( about Voyager size) and he said that Icon and Oasis would never sail from Australia 🇦🇺 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, little britain said:

Ovation: captain Espín resumed duties yesterday 21.1.24

He has just been to Miami and been on Icon.  He confirmed Discovery class ( about Voyager size) and he said that Icon and Oasis would never sail from Australia 🇦🇺 

thank you, I corrected the chart. Happy to hear a smaller class is coming!

1 hour ago, Machinoh said:

Have I been asleep and just woke up (like Rip Van Winkle)?  How did Capt Marek Slaby start rotation 2-25-24?  I'm supposed to embark 1-28-24 - did I miss it?  Darn!  

i only did that because that's a confirmed start date directly from him. He won't be joining the ship until February 25 so yes, you will miss him by roughly a month.

I tried to post at the start of my last sailing to provide a captain update, but since I don’t see the post (but do see the rotation updated with a different date) I’ll add that Captain Ole-Johan Gronhaug was at the helm of Vision on 1/6/24 for the start of the 13-night itinerary, so his rotation start date is at least one week earlier than what’s in the chart. 

6 hours ago, JK805 said:

I tried to post at the start of my last sailing to provide a captain update, but since I don’t see the post (but do see the rotation updated with a different date) I’ll add that Captain Ole-Johan Gronhaug was at the helm of Vision on 1/6/24 for the start of the 13-night itinerary, so his rotation start date is at least one week earlier than what’s in the chart. 

thank you, I will correct the chart at least to Jan. 6

5 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Captain Teo will be Captain Per's replacement on Icon.

Captian Johnny is returning but not to the Icon.  

I didn't know Capt Per was on Icon, I thought it was going to be Capt Loy. Which Capt Per is it, Kristofferson or Pehrsson

Edited by wolfcathorse

22 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Captain Teo will be Captain Per's replacement on Icon.

Captian Johnny is returning but not to the Icon.  

What ship will Captain Johnny be assigned to.  

I'm confused about who the two Icon captains will be -- please clarify.  

4 minutes ago, SherriZ366 said:

What ship will Captain Johnny be assigned to.  

I'm confused about who the two Icon captains will be -- please clarify.  

Not sure what ship Captain Johnny will be assigned to.

Captain Loy and Captain Teo are the 2 Icon Captains

• Like 1

18 hours ago, wolfcathorse said:

LOL, just need to find out when Capt Teo starts his rotation

I would say within the next couple of weeks.

I am not sure if Loy started in early Dec or before that in Finland.

I am on ICON in May and hoping to have Loy again but also would have been nice to see Johnny.

Wish we knew why he was not going to ICON as that would be the last class of ship for him to add to his resume. 

1 hour ago, Oceansaway17 said:

I would say within the next couple of weeks.

I am not sure if Loy started in early Dec or before that in Finland.

I am on ICON in May and hoping to have Loy again but also would have been nice to see Johnny.

Wish we knew why he was not going to ICON as that would be the last class of ship for him to add to his resume. 

I think Captain Loy joined Icon in the Shipland in Turku, Finland.  

If Icon doesn't work out for Captain Johnny, he could get an assignment to Star of the Seas Icon's sister coming out next and sailing from Port Canaveral.  

I haven't seen any updates on Captain Johnny's Twitter feed but hope that his Melanoma treatment was extremely successful.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, deliver42 said:

The last feed i got from Captain Johnny was he was feeling well and looking to get back to work, but that was about 3 months ago.

That's similar to what I read on Twitter/X.  Maybe he will be on a different ship (possibly Star) as RCI requires the captain to spend a certain amount of time in the shipyard and Captain Johnny was ready to go back to work when this period began for Icon.  

On 1/20/2024 at 5:36 PM, wolfcathorse said:

Don't know if anyone remembers Capt Leif Otto Bang. His wife was Darlene from Key West. He passed away 2-14-23 from advanced dementia and lung cancer. His wife Darlene isn't that healthy either.

Yes! I was on Majesty OTS in 1996 and he was Captain. I had asked him for a tour of the bridge, and he actually let me visit while the ship was returning to Miami on Sunday morning. He stated if I felt like getting up at 3am, he was happy to have me. What a great experience listening to the maneuvering calls, etc that took place. Clearly long before other world events changed bridge visits forever.

So sorry to hear this.

• Like 1

On 1/20/2024 at 8:36 PM, wolfcathorse said:

Don't know if anyone remembers Capt Leif Otto Bang. His wife was Darlene from Key West. He passed away 2-14-23 from advanced dementia and lung cancer. His wife Darlene isn't that healthy either.

Captain Bang was my captain on Voyager of the Seas while I was there for two years.  Can still hear "This is Captain Bang speaking" from his daily announcements in my head.  Was very sorry to hear this news last year.

Edited by compuryan

3 hours ago, truffles2 said:

Wasn’t he the one with a beautiful voice who would entertain with his singing from time to time?

I think you're thinking of Capt Kent Ringborn. He put out a CD of his singing. He and his wife (Ingrid?) live in Portugal and run a B&B. A friend of mine goes there every April to celebrate her wedding anniversary.

On 2/3/2024 at 3:51 PM, BlackLion 213 said:

Yes! I was on Majesty OTS in 1996 and he was Captain. I had asked him for a tour of the bridge, and he actually let me visit while the ship was returning to Miami on Sunday morning. He stated if I felt like getting up at 3am, he was happy to have me. What a great experience listening to the maneuvering calls, etc that took place. Clearly long before other world events changed bridge visits forever.

So sorry to hear this.

RCI did a video of Voyager's construction, trans Atlantic crossing, docking in Miami and some of its first cruise in 1999.  I wonder if Captain Bang was captain at that time.