Loyalty Program - tangible benefits - are there any?

anniegb

For us at Elite level on Celebrity the benefits are much better than our 3 star benefits on HAL. Also, if you are Diamond or above on RCI, this translates into Elite benefits on Celebrity. I am posting the link from the Celebrity site.

https://www.celebritycruises.com/captains-club/tiers-and-benefits

I'm a 4-star Mariner. The loyalty benefits I appreciate most are:

Free laundry,

50% discount at specialty restaurants,

50% discount on wine packages.

Thanks.

I am not a big wine drinker and I don't eat in speciality restaurants because of multiple food intolerances.

Annie

Since we have always stayed in either a Neptune or Pinnacle Suite, we have always had free laundry.

We are 5 star Mariners and do like the 50% off the specialty restaurants.

When we drink wine, there are special wines we like that are not in the packages -- thus nothing off them for us.

We do get 100 minutes of Internet for 1/2 price -- used it only twice in all the years that it has been offered.

Nothing really great about the perks for us.

Since we have always stayed in either a Neptune or Pinnacle Suite, we have always had free laundry.

We are 5 star Mariners and do like the 50% off the specialty restaurants.

When we drink wine, there are special wines we like that are not in the packages -- thus nothing off them for us.

We do get 100 minutes of Internet for 1/2 price -- used it only twice in all the years that it has been offered.

Nothing really great about the perks for us.

Thanks KK.

I am really shocked how poor the perks are - but probably just me.

Annie

I'm a 4-star Mariner. The loyalty benefits I appreciate most are:

Free laundry,

50% discount at specialty restaurants,

50% discount on wine packages.

Agree.

Our next cruise will be our first as 4 star mariners. We are really looking forward to the perks. We always dine at least a couple of times each cruise in a specialty restaurant, we always buy a wine package, and almost always use the laundry service. So, for us the 4 star perks will be much appreciated.

HAL cruisers are an interesting lot (we are also in that crowd). Consider that many of these folks were darn near up in arms when HAL said they were discontinuing the Medallion program (HAL relented and continues that program until this day). DW and I were somewhat shocked when a lovely lady told us that "I earned that Medallion and intend to get my next one." That particular lady was actually wearing her bronze and silver Medallions around her neck on the day of the Mariner's luncheon. Even HAL management realized it could get UGLY if they came between those folks and their precious piece of tin.

I suspect that some of those same folks could care less about the other benefits.

But we do really like the free laundry (especially important on the really long cruises) and the 50% the wine packages (although the wines on the package are far from the best). The "Priority" stuff is worthless on many cruises because there are so many 4/5 Star Mariners (if everyone gets priority nobody gets priority). Where HAL really falls short is with their internet program. Most of the competition gives free internet to its higher level loyalty folks but HAL only gives a small discount to 5 Star Mariners. When we cruise on Princess we now get free unlimited high speed internet (given to Platinum and Elite). On Celebrity we get several hundred free minutes and its the same on most other lines where we have some Loyalty status. HAL also falls down when it comes to social gatherings for Loyalty folks. On one 60+ day cruise we had a single function for 4/5 Star Mariners. On Celebrity we have a cocktail party (with free drinks) every day! On Princess they also have daily cocktail parties although drink prices are only slightly reduced...and not free. RCI has their Diamond and Concierge Lounges with free cocktail hours on a daily basis...plus other goodies. Even MSC beats HAL by providing a real 5% discount off the cruise price for those qualifying for various Loyalty Programs.

One of our favorite cruise agents actually believes that HAL penalizes their most Loyal cruisers by sometimes offering special deals and upgrades to newer cruisers that are seldom given to the most loyal cruisers. We are not sure if this is really true...but have also heard this from another travel agent.

Hank

I suspect the biggest benefit is reaped by HAL. The psychological attachment that compels me to book with HAL v. going with NCL because I want the next star despite the fact that the next star isn't really going to be worth anything tangible is a huge benefit for them.

HAL cruisers are an interesting lot (we are also in that crowd). Consider that many of these folks were darn near up in arms when HAL said they were discontinuing the Medallion program (HAL relented and continues that program until this day). DW and I were somewhat shocked when a lovely lady told us that "I earned that Medallion and intend to get my next one." That particular lady was actually wearing her bronze and silver Medallions around her neck on the day of the Mariner's luncheon. Even HAL management realized it could get UGLY if they came between those folks and their precious piece of tin.

I suspect that some of those same folks could care less about the other benefits.

But we do really like the free laundry (especially important on the really long cruises) and the 50% the wine packages (although the wines on the package are far from the best). The "Priority" stuff is worthless on many cruises because there are so many 4/5 Star Mariners (if everyone gets priority nobody gets priority). Where HAL really falls short is with their internet program. Most of the competition gives free internet to its higher level loyalty folks but HAL only gives a small discount to 5 Star Mariners. When we cruise on Princess we now get free unlimited high speed internet (given to Platinum and Elite). On Celebrity we get several hundred free minutes and its the same on most other lines where we have some Loyalty status. HAL also falls down when it comes to social gatherings for Loyalty folks. On one 60+ day cruise we had a single function for 4/5 Star Mariners. On Celebrity we have a cocktail party (with free drinks) every day! On Princess they also have daily cocktail parties although drink prices are only slightly reduced...and not free. RCI has their Diamond and Concierge Lounges with free cocktail hours on a daily basis...plus other goodies. Even MSC beats HAL by providing a real 5% discount off the cruise price for those qualifying for various Loyalty Programs.

One of our favorite cruise agents actually believes that HAL penalizes their most Loyal cruisers by sometimes offering special deals and upgrades to newer cruisers that are seldom given to the most loyal cruisers. We are not sure if this is really true...but have also heard this from another travel agent.

Hank

I have been Elite on Princess for 10 years and the unlimited internet was discontinued many years ago and the Platinum and Elites get a specific # of minutes depending on the length of the voyage.I did receive unlimited internet last year on the Regal as they were installing Ocean Medallion but I understand that that was a temporary situation.

No.

You would need to be a 4 star and have 200 points to have any worthwhile benefits. And even at 4 star, there is no “free”/included internet.

There are no daily cocktail parties with free drinks like on Celebrity.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Agree with the others that HAL's loyalty programs lags the competition.

That being said, we sailed on our first cruise as 4* Mariners recently, and did appreciate the 50% wine package discount. We WOULD HAVE enjoyed the free laundry as well, in the SS we had booked, but we ended up taking a last minute upsell to a Neptune... so the free laundry perk will have to wait for another time. ;)

I have been Elite on Princess for 10 years and the unlimited internet was discontinued many years ago and the Platinum and Elites get a specific # of minutes depending on the length of the voyage.I did receive unlimited internet last year on the Regal as they were installing Ocean Medallion but I understand that that was a temporary situation.

We were just on the Regal (last week) and the high speed Medallion Net is up and running with no problems. All Elites and Platinums got free unlimited for 1 device which was also available to others to purchase for around $10 a day. With the Medallion Net there are no longer any "minute" options but now its about paying for "devices." Our understanding is that Elites and Platinums will continue to get free internet (for one device per person). There is also a package that allows for up to 4 devices but this come at a price.

While the Medallion Net is part of the overall Ocean Medallion program, it is actually a separate part of that program. So as they upgrade each ship this will be offered when available. In the case of the Regal the Medallion Net work shipwide...while much of the other Ocean Medallion stuff seems to be a long way from being functional.

I will again add that we were very impressed by the speed and obvious bandwidth of the Medallion Net. It always worked fast, regardless of how many passengers where using the system. When we were just sitting around the Deck 5 Atrium (near the IC) it seemed like nearly everyone was using their phones or tablets. The older (and much slower) system still exists on most of the other ships (we had it while on the Grand in April) but all the ships are supposed to be eventually upgraded.

Perhaps it comes into perspective when you compare it to HAL. On HAL $10 will normally buy you about 20-30 min of very slow internet time. On the Regal Princess that same $10 will buy you 1440 minutes (one day) of high speed internet! Also consider that it takes 51 cruise days to be Platinum on Princess which gets you free unlimited internet with their new system. But on HAL you need 500 days just to get a small discount on a very slow internet system. HAL needs to get the lead out and move into the 21st Century,

For those interested in what is happening on Princess here is a link posted today:

https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=8889

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

What Celebrity perks do you get that you like the most - what did it take to earn them?

Hi

Free cocktail session for 2 hours most evenings.

1 free cabin upgrade.

150 minutes free internet.

Free pressing for 2 items.

1 bag free laundry.

Priority tendering.

There are a couple of others which I don"t use.

I was Elite after 4/5 cruises even travelling solo but I do longer cruises. Cabin grade is also a factor in earning points but I can't afford to sail suites.

Annie

We were just on the Regal (last week) and the high speed Medallion Net is up and running with no problems. All Elites and Platinums got free unlimited for 1 device which was also available to others to purchase for around $10 a day. With the Medallion Net there are no longer any "minute" options but now its about paying for "devices." Our understanding is that Elites and Platinums will continue to get free internet (for one device per person). There is also a package that allows for up to 4 devices but this come at a price.

While the Medallion Net is part of the overall Ocean Medallion program, it is actually a separate part of that program. So as they upgrade each ship this will be offered when available. In the case of the Regal the Medallion Net work shipwide...while much of the other Ocean Medallion stuff seems to be a long way from being functional.

I will again add that we were very impressed by the speed and obvious bandwidth of the Medallion Net. It always worked fast, regardless of how many passengers where using the system. When we were just sitting around the Deck 5 Atrium (near the IC) it seemed like nearly everyone was using their phones or tablets. The older (and much slower) system still exists on most of the other ships (we had it while on the Grand in April) but all the ships are supposed to be eventually upgraded.

Perhaps it comes into perspective when you compare it to HAL. On HAL $10 will normally buy you about 20-30 min of very slow internet time. On the Regal Princess that same $10 will buy you 1440 minutes (one day) of high speed internet! Also consider that it takes 51 cruise days to be Platinum on Princess which gets you free unlimited internet with their new system. But on HAL you need 500 days just to get a small discount on a very slow internet system. HAL needs to get the lead out and move into the 21st Century,

For those interested in what is happening on Princess here is a link posted today:

https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=8889

Hank

I have cruised once with Princess as a solo and I have obtained platinum level.

Annie

The only perks worth having are the stockholder (on all Carnival Line) and the military OBC on Princess. I simply don't see the 'loyalty perks' as anything to get excited about. Nothing there to convince me to sail on a specific cruise line.

I agree that the Princess stockholder credit and military obc is wonderful. Also, I like being able to purchase the higher cruise insurance at the lower rate. And, their website is a dream, lol.

I didn't care for the Celebrity "laundry". Yes, it was all washed and folded, but shoved into a paper bag so the shirts and things normally put on a hanger on HAL were all wrinkled...:(

I was lucky then - most of my laundry came back on hangers. No complaints.

On reflection, I don't think it was a bag on Celebrity but a number of items - I always required a couple of bags.

Annie

We take long cruises on HAL, and really appreciate the free laundry! For shorter cruises, 2 or 3 weeks on Royal C or Celebrity, the free bags and/or discounts usually get us through the entire cruise, with a little bit of washing things in the sink!

We also like the discounts for specialty dining from HAL.

We really like the 3-drinks-loaded-onto-our-seapass from Royal & Celebrity, and sometimes we go to the evening cocktail hours instead.

We have found the priority check-in, boarding, tendering, etc, to be kind of hit-or-miss on all of the lines and don't really mean a lot to us.

Are HAL perks reciprocal across the Carnival brands, as they are on Royal C? I'm pretty sure they're not, but since we're discussing perks, thought I'd ask!

We are sailing on our 41st cruise this January on HAL. We like to pick the itinerary and sail on different types of cruise lines as it adds to the thrill to try something different. This year, we sailed on Seabourn in January and a NCL Bermuda 7-day cruise in June. Next year, we are trying HAL in January and taking the entire family of 19 on RCCL's Allure of the Seas for our 50th Anniversary. This will be our first experience on a mega cruise ship. We chose this option for our children and grand children. We booked a Grand Suite as we felt that the size of the ship required us to have an oasis from the crowds. Our cruising style just doesn't lend itself to sail on one particular cruise line. Are we missing out on benefits? Yes, of course we are. We just prefer the freedom to pick the cruise line and ship that fits our particular needs at a particular time.

Hank

Stop and think about that they give new customers better deals than those with four or five stars, HAL knows that they got the 4 or 5 customers already sad but true. Hank