Oceania Introduces New Policies and Programs to Benefit Cruise Passengers

LauraS

Ken;

I read the new policy to mean that OBC is no longer limited to onboard but can now be used within 30 days of boarding for anything OBC can be used for.

Perceptions of shore excursions costs are individual.

That's cool. If we could only use our O-related OBC 30 days before a cruise to buy excursions or other amenities, then we would definitely agree with you that would really stink, especially if the excursions had been for sale online for 6-7 months. Luckily, that's not the case. On the bright side, for us at least, we no longer have to "launder" our non-refundable OBC by going to the Destinations Desk and "refaring" enough of our pre-booked excursions paid for with a CC to refundable OBC. On our last cruise, we had over $1,100 in non-refundable OBC which we were able to effectively launder. :D

BTW we still have our "OBC Citizen watch" we bought on our first O cruise because we couldn't find anything else to spend it on.

I stand corrected, no 30 day limit. The new date will obviously become after PIF is received. So 90-120 days out depending on cruise length.

Still same issues though. Will people wait until then to book excursions, particularly limited capacity ones that are released 6 months prior to boarding, and prior to PIF date?

I am not sure what you are talking about

If excursions, La Reserve dates etc for the cruise is listed then I would think people can book them using OBC under the new program

You can book excursions, cooking classes etc prior to final payment if they are available

Time will tell

Still same issues though. Will people wait until then to book excursions, particularly limited capacity ones that are released 6 months prior to boarding, and prior to PIF date?

The way I read this is when the new cruises come out later this month, the new May 19, 2019 rule will apply to only those (and beyond) as there are no cruises on their website right now that set sail on or after May 19, 2019. This means folks booking those new cruises will be able to use their O related OBC to prebook excursions and other applicable amenities on those cruises once they become available to book.

The way I read this is when the new cruises come out later this month, the new May 19, 2019 rule will apply to only those (and beyond) as there are no cruises on their website right now that set sail on or after May 19, 2019.

Are you sure ?

I see many cruises for 2019

Maybe you are confusing the 2020 cruise calendar where they are limited at the present time

I am not sure what you are talking about

If excursions, La Reserve dates etc for the cruise is listed then I would think people can book them using OBC under the new program

You can book excursions, cooking classes etc prior to final payment if they are available

Time will tell

Exactly.

You will be able to book excursions at the same time frame as you do now with a CC except now you can use your OBC instead of the CC - no increased danger of being “shut out”.

Is there a dollar value involved in this partnership? I doubt it. But an alliance with a service I already use will likely mean integration, something that I think is clearly a "benefit".

What I'm hoping for is that we will attach the luggage forward paperwork to our case, put it outside our room the night before disembarkation, and not have to see or touch it again until it arrives at our home the next week.

I believe the Luggage Forward service has been mentioned in the blue book for quite some time, at least a couple of years.

It took me a while to figure out that PIF was paid in full.

There is quite a bit of confusion on his thread. Maybe people should take a step back and figure out what's going on before they post.

There is quite a bit of confusion on his thread. Maybe people should take a step back and figure out what's going on before they post.

what would be the fun in that :evilsmile:

Let's just jump to conclusions first

How can you have OBC if the cruise hasn’t yet been paid for? Is your TA going to give you OBC for a cruise you haven’t paid for? He or she is going to saddle up 6 months in advance with cash? I would doubt that O would give you OBC credits for a cruise you haven’t yet paid for!

So your belief is I will allow you to book a shore cruise at six months , with OBC, on a cruise that hasn’t been paid for and can easily be cancelled? I’ll believe that perk when I see it in force!

I can see that accounting nightmare now! Dear O, my client is not making final payment and cancelling. Please give me back all the OBC I credited them with Four months ago! Right!

this is just a meek attempt by "o" to offset the super negativism resultant from the major pull back in loyalty rewards to "o's" most loyal members announced six months ago!

There's no way they can continue to justify not having "grandfathered" those loyal participants that reached appropriate levels over the course of time.they needed to do that cutback because they, "o", were choking on the "stupendous" benefits provided way back when that were provided by the senior members ot the organization. And, yes, that contingent of members remain in place now.

+ 1

Are you sure ?

I see many cruises for 2019

Maybe you are confusing the 2020 cruise calendar where they are limited at the present time

No, you are exactly right. I totally botched that analogy. I tell ya, it's tough getting old. I believe I know the reason why they chose May 19, 2019 as the start date, but I don't know for a fact, so I'll just keep it to myself. But more importantly thanks for keeping me straight.

Edited by Ken the cruiser

Royal Caribbean cruises allows you to use your OBC in advance of final payment. They will not, however, allow you to use OBC provided by your travel agent. So Oceania allowing its guests to use OBC online, prior to final payment, is not groundbreaking in the cruise industry, extremely do-able and long overdue.

Royal Caribbean cruises allows you to use your OBC in advance of final payment. They will not, however, allow you to use OBC provided by your travel agent. So Oceania allowing its guests to use OBC online, prior to final payment, is not groundbreaking in the cruise industry, extremely do-able and long overdue.

Pardon my frankness, but if you were so pleased with Royal Caribbean....:evilsmile:

Pardon my frankness, but if you were so pleased with Royal Caribbean....:evilsmile:

That wasn’t my point.

I was clarifying for PL that using OBC is certainly do-able and Oceania sounds like they are definitely going to do it!! She sounded skeptical.

I actually enjoy both cruiselines although we have cruised primarily on Oceania since our son grew up and we don’t need to have slides, etc. for his entertainment.

That wasn’t my point. I was clarifying for PL that using OBC is certainly do-able and Oceania sounds like they are definitely going to do it!!

I understood your point and other cruiselines allow using OBC ahead of the cruise to book tours and things like clam shells, etc. on private islands and have for quite awhile.....Princess has for some time and it works just fine.

Sadly, it seems like if anyone mentions a "mass market" cruiseline on this board there will be some O cheerleaders who have to make insulting comments in a self righteous tone....no need for that.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, Just wanted to let everyone know that that night I booked a tour for our June 2019 cruise with our OBC.  No problem and when it was confirmed, it told me how many OBCs I have left.  Easy, peasy!  We NEVER book excursions with the ship, but this one is to St. Andrews and I couldn't fine anyone to go, so we're going with O.  Much easier than waiting until we got on board, and then maybe nothing would be available.

Arlene

37 minutes ago, tanny18 said:

Hi, Just wanted to let everyone know that that night I booked a tour for our June 2019 cruise with our OBC.  No problem and when it was confirmed, it told me how many OBCs I have left.  Easy, peasy!  We NEVER book excursions with the ship, but this one is to St. Andrews and I couldn't fine anyone to go, so we're going with O.  Much easier than waiting until we got on board, and then maybe nothing would be available.

Arlene

Yes, between the Olife and now allowing OBC to be used in advance I'd bet Oceania tours will be much busier.