Fitbit on ship

Katiekakes

My wife has a Fitbit. I don’t so know very little about them.

Did I hear in this thread there is a setting to put the Fitbit into airplane mode?

I certainly don’t want to get hit with unexpected charges.

You just need to worry about keeping it charged. You can always sync when you’re connected to WiFi. However, it can give you some really weird stats # of steps were okay but the flights of stairs?? We were on a 29 day trip that included a TransAtlantic where there were a lot of rough sea days. I’m a bot OCD about activity since i’m trying to maintain a huge weight loss. I average 16 to 20,000 steps a day, and would often do laps in the hallways as some days you weren’t allowed out on deck. I guess due to the up and down movement of the ship, one day it indicated I had done about 17,000 steps but 303 floors. Now grant you I only used the elevators a few times the entire trip, but I didn’t use the stairs quite that much :o ;p! Just an FYI.

My wife has a Fitbit. I don’t so know very little about them.

Did I hear in this thread there is a setting to put the Fitbit into airplane mode?

I certainly don’t want to get hit with unexpected charges.

I believe this was in reference to the cell phone that is used for syncing. You want the cell phone in airplane.

It's not just ships that are a problem. On a 7 hour car ride last week my Fitbit clocked up over 14,000 steps and 383 flights of stairs. Fitbit said that it was due to vibration in the car going over bumpy roads. They even recommended an app called Drivebit to adjust the stats. Apparently the same problem is suffered by pianists who can also use the same app.

I have a Fitbit blaze and as far as tracking it works fine on a cruise ship. As far as syncing, for me it doesn’t work. Yes, I connect through Bluetooth but leave internet off and it won’t sync. Not too big an issue unless there’s a time change; syncing is the only way to change the time on the watch.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have a Fitbit blaze and as far as tracking it works fine on a cruise ship. As far as syncing, for me it doesn’t work. Yes, I connect through Bluetooth but leave internet off and it won’t sync. Not too big an issue unless there’s a time change; syncing is the only way to change the time on the watch.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

For my wife’s Fitbit, I need to turn on WiFi/ log into the internet on her phone to sync the time.

The steps are pretty accurate onboard, but one day it said I did 29 SETS of stairs. No way!

As a matter of interest, can I ask which device you have please? Fitbit have told me that their new generation devices have accelerometers that are so sensitive they react to vibration, recording steps even when stationary. The first night I had my latest device I left it on the table as it charged up. The next morning it was showing over 7,000 steps.