US Citizens - If not aware Smart Traveler Enrollment Program

klfrodo

https://step.state.gov/STEP/Index.aspx

Free service to allow US citizens/nationals traveling abroad to enroll with the local embassy or consulate.

Not a requirement. Just sharing information I was not aware of.

Thanks... I apparently missed it when it was shared before.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yes. Not really for cruise passengers.

The cruise line will be informed of any issues and pass them on.

This is for people spending more time there, in case of any issues or emergencies.

Of course we use STEP, why wouldn’t you? It’s free. True, the cruise line won’t port where there’s known danger, but it’s good to know starting out. Barcelona popped up in mine last fall. There were demonstrations etc while we were there. Recently, there was a taxi, uber strike. Good to know ahead.

Yes. Not really for cruise passengers.

The cruise line will be informed of any issues and pass them on.

This is for people spending more time there, in case of any issues or emergencies.

Please accept my sincere apologies for wasting your time. :confused:

I know that information shared on other forums within CruiseCritic might overlap into information for non-cruisers, ie., cruise air, travel insurance, excursions available in ports of call, however, I see your point.

I know that information shared on other forums within CruiseCritic might overlap into information for non-cruisers, ie., cruise air, travel insurance, excursions available in ports of call, however, I see your point.

I appreciate the reminder, we do land vacations also and this is always good info to have.

I appreciate the reminder, we do land vacations also and this is always good info to have.

I don’t see land and sea vacations as different entities. Before Transatlantic sailings, we go and stay in Paris, Bruges, and Venice. I want to know what the situation is where I’m visiting (and Staying).

Hmmm I registered my info for a visit soon to China and I just got an email from the Consulate/Embassy about the weather...but it will have blown over by the time I arrive. Had no idea they offered these updates.

This is good information, you are not wasting anyones time. You would be hard pressed to find a subject that hasn't been discussed before. Many times I see people getting chastised for post repeats of stuff that I have never seen posted before. (I do not live for CC so I miss a lot) Do not apologize, I appreciate the info.

I think you posted useful information. As another poster pointed out, many cruise passengers stay in another country for a significant length of time before or after their cruise, so this is pertinent to cruise passengers as well as other travellers.