How Long Can You Stay Onboard Before Disembarkation

Kazzygirl

The next sailing cannot be boarded until the ship can demonstrate zero passengers on board.
For Med cruises, where only SOME passengers disembark at a given port; what is the latest time allowed for those who are actually disembarking?

No matter how far along the crew has readied the ship for the next trip, EVERY pax has to be off the ship before the next phase of embarkation can start. Once took a cruise where embarkation was delayed two hours. Somehow one pax had left the ship with out going through security. Entire ship had to be searched.

While this is normally true in U.S. ports, it is not applicable in all ports. The zero clearance requirement is normally a requirement of U.S. Immigration/Customs, not the cruise line.

Our last cruise, which we boarded in Tilbury (London Cruise Terminal) one gangway had embarking passengers while the other was used for disembarking passengers. When we boarded, many lounges were still full of passengers waiting to disembark.

Not sure if they still offer them, but Costa used to offer rotating 7-day cruise, with every port being an embarkation port. You picked the port to board and got off at the same port the next week.

I'll hazard a guess that they were searching the ship for the passenger, not what he/she left behind.

Since the passenger didn't go thro security they won't have had their boarding card scanned on leaving, so presumably the cruise line didn't know whether he/she was still aboard.

(thunter - I'll also hazard a guess that they searched the lifeboats, so I reckon you're lying about living on a lifeboat for 2 months :D)

BTW, I won't disagree with those who've posted that you have to be off the ship by about 10am, or that b2b passengers have to disembark & re-board - but there are exceptions.

For instance those sailing fly-cruises on UK ships from distant ports like the Med or the Caribbean have the run of the ship (but not their cabin) until their transfer to the airport is called - often late-afternoon. This is because those taking the next cruise arrive on the (chartered) aircraft that will be taking them home. Those leaving on late flights are still on the ship when new cruisers arriving on early flights are still aboard.

Nor do folk on those b2b fly-cruises have to disembark/re-board.

All very civilised :cool: - and one of the reasons why I recommend a Brit ship for Brits taking their first cruise.

JB :)

My experience disembarking from a Spanish ship in Cozumel was very civilized as well.

Left the ship at 1430 hrs after lunch and included drinks ( just in time to check into our all-inclusive) as we were the only independent passengers onboard. All other passengers were on late charter flight to Spain or on excursions if they were disembarking the following day in Havana.Embarking passengers (almost 100 %) were still on their way from Madrid.

At the beginning of my 2nd cruise of a B2B, we heard guests being paged to Deck 6 (disembarkation deck) about 10 - 10:30 a.m. Those of us staying onboard laughed ... it was like "so so ... report to deck 6" ... to get kicked off the ship! It was pretty funny.
I wonder what they do to those who don't show up even after being paged

No matter how far along the crew has readied the ship for the next trip, EVERY pax has to be off the ship before the next phase of embarkation can start. Once took a cruise where embarkation was delayed two hours. Somehow one pax had left the ship with out going through security. Entire ship had to be searched.

That was Thunter

It depends on how long it takes for them to find you .. I have been living in a lifeboat for the last 2 months LOL

:'):'):'):'):'):')

The ship was delayed due to weather, so we boarded about 17:00, or about 90 mins after it docked.
Wow that is quite a delay. So I guess the disembarking pax got a complimentary late check out, late disembarking by 15:30 and complimentary lunch!

How were the embarking pax compensated for the delay in embarkation and a missed lunch?

Wow that is quite a delay. So I guess the disembarking pax got a complimentary late check out, late disembarking by 15:30 and complimentary lunch!

How were the embarking pax compensated for the delay in embarkation and a missed lunch?

I’d be inclined to think that the later debarking passengers would be entitled to more compensation than those who boarded late. Sure, the late boarders missed lunch and had to hang around; but the late debarkers had to sit around (really, once you are set to go ashore, waiting for it is boring) - but many of them probably incurred significant expenses in changing travel plans, possible extra hotel stay, etc.

Compensation for one missed lunch??? That is really being greedy. How much compensation is expected - $5.00? Also, being delayed because of bad weather is an Act of God. Why should anyone expect compensation from the cruise line for an Act of God. Perhaps the people who were inconvenienced by the delay should ask God for the compensation since She caused it.

DON

They provided a comp bus service to a local mall and film theatre. If you elected to stay at the port they provided tea/coffee and for lunch sent staff to the local supermarket for sandwiches and bags of crisps. Basic, but I thought the staff handled it very well. They also kept everyone updated on the ship's arrival and potential boarding times.

All pax received UKP 25 pp on their account.

For something outwith the control of the company, we thought they handled it very well.

They provided a comp bus service to a local mall and film theatre. If you elected to stay at the port they provided tea/coffee and for lunch sent staff to the local supermarket for sandwiches and bags of crisps. Basic, but I thought the staff handled it very well. They also kept everyone updated on the ship's arrival and potential boarding times.

All pax received UKP 25 pp on their account.

For something outwith the control of the company, we thought they handled it very well.

Thanks Heidi, that's what I was expecting.

• 1 year later...

For our Costa neoriviera Cruise the boarding time was 12 noon but we were allowed to board only at 7:00 p.m. as the ship was delayed coming to Venice from the previous port.
Total chaos and confusion and everyone had to wait for 7 hours or more
People were divided into different groups by a numbering system, which was also handled very badly.

Sent from my Lenovo K8 Note using Tapatalk

They want you GONE ASAP...a whole new batch of vacationers are waiting to take your place.  Any and all service you've come to expect is conspicuously missing on the last "day/morning".... 

Generally, they want you out of your cabin by 8:30am....breakfast is earlier, too, and they want the ship cleared by 10am.

On 10/5/2018 at 7:01 AM, Slugsta said:

As others have indicated, there is little 'enjoyment' on the last morning of a cruise! Crew who have, hitherto, been only too pleased to help are too busy to care, shops and bars are closed and public areas are packed with passengers - + hand luggage - waiting to disembark.

I agree with this - our last Christmas time cruise on RCCL - we decided to hang back a bit - had a nice breakfast in the MDR - then went up to Windjammer for snacks - our luggage had already been taken.  The lines were ridiculously long - and then one of the boarding vestibules would not hook up so all the passengers had to be routed out to the one that was working.  People were so upset - it was terrible.  I don't like all those lines so when I go in March (same ship) I'm not going to get in line - we are going to go sneak up to the Viking lounge and hang there until the absolute last minute. 

We live about 30 minutes away from the SF port.  We've done two cruises our of there so far.  On the first one, I chose to stay late hoping to enjoy a leisurely breakfast.  We struggled to spend a lot of time at breakfast and then we were shuttled into our staging area.  It was hot, cramped, and nobody enjoyed it at all.  Now, I choose to get off ASAP.  Last cruise, were were home and unpacking by 9:30am.