Does anybody have any PNG money they would like to swap ?

On 10/7/2018 at 9:29 AM, castaway01 said:

BTW, only plastic notes are legal tender now, all the paper notes have been with drawn, according to the PNG bank, I have some paper notes but they are worthless.

We had that happen with our UK pounds sterling. We weren't able to go to a bank in the UK to change them, but I am pretty sure they would have done so. We went to our bank in Brisbane where we had bought the currency a couple of years earlier, and they accepted it.

4 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

Sounds like a token effort to make money.

If it were me I would have tried to complete the transaction with cowrie shells, after all they could be considered token money - or at least they were once in that part of the world.

5 hours ago, Bpos said:

If it were me I would have tried to complete the transaction with cowrie shells, after all they could be considered token money - or at least they were once in that part of the world.

Just bring a pig, they will love you forever.

• 4 weeks later...

There are a few people on another social media site that goes by the name Cruise PNG who have Kina to exchange for AU$.  It's the height of ignorance to expect people from a different country to yours to accept your currency instead of theirs. You wouldn't take Shekels or Dong in your country would you???

On 12/11/2018 at 9:08 PM, castaway01 said:

Ended up getting to the Bank in Alotau, once we got past the security guards and high metal fences and locked and guarded doors, changed my 200 Kina for smaller notes, Missus changed Aussie dollars and got a great exchange rate.

I ended up giving away all my Kina to the school kids and a few pests on the beaches that stalk the cruise passengers .

Local money exchangers came on board but the line was so long we went to the Bank.

And PNG Customs made us fill out a declaration on all the things we were giving to the school kids like pens and pencils and the exact number of each, jeez.

Can anyone tell me if it is normal practice at customs to do this,I have quite a large amount to donate

Cheers Carole

11 minutes ago, Elorac123 said:

Can anyone tell me if it is normal practice at customs to do this,I have quite a large amount to donate

Cheers Carole

If you go to the social media group Cruise PNG you'll find all the information on donations plus forms and what you have to do etc.  Lots of other helpful information on who to give it to as those who are on the beach used to get it all and sell it at the school store or the market. 

The Disposition Form is required or you won't be able to take it off. So prepare early by downloading the forms fro Cruise PNG.

Cheers,

John

2 minutes ago, exkiap said:

If you go to the social media group Cruise PNG you'll find all the information on donations plus forms and what you have to do etc.  Lots of other helpful information on who to give it to as those who are on the beach used to get it all and sell it at the school store or the market. 

The Disposition Form is required or you won't be able to take it off. So prepare early by downloading the forms fro Cruise PNG.

Cheers,

John

Thanks for that John

On 1/5/2019 at 7:11 PM, exkiap said:

Cheers,

John

exkiap you seem to know a bit about the reselling of our donations, what else can you tell us, as I would be most ANNOYED if that was the case

39 minutes ago, castaway01 said:

exkiap you seem to know a bit about the reselling of our donations, what else can you tell us, as I would be most ANNOYED if that was the case

If your donations are given to reliable people like are mentioned in the information in the social media group Cruise PNG as previously mentioned it will go to the right people and be of benefit.

Just taking donations off the ship and handing them out willy nilly will NOT benefit the individual you gave it to as they will probably convert it to something they really want by selling it to whomever.

Those who are recommended seek out those who will benefit most and deliver the gifts to them and usually follow up with photos of the recipients.

Hope this helps.

23 minutes ago, exkiap said:

If your donations are given to reliable people like are mentioned in the information in the social media group Cruise PNG as previously mentioned it will go to the right people and be of benefit.

Just taking donations off the ship and handing them out willy nilly will NOT benefit the individual you gave it to as they will probably convert it to something they really want by selling it to whomever.

Those who are recommended seek out those who will benefit most and deliver the gifts to them and usually follow up with photos of the recipients.

Hope this helps.

Hi Thanks for reply so quick, I have googled social media group Cruise PNG but got 600,000 hits could you give me a clue thanks. Well on Kitava and Kiriwina I gave out heaps of pens, pencils, tennis balls, fish hooks and sand paper to the kids and carvers and fisher men. And a bunch of books to schools,  I met an elderly gentleman on Kirawina who claimed his group tried to help everybody, so I have his address and have sent him a few things, just hope he is fair dinkum.. One thing the natives have to understand is not to pester the cruisers when we are on the beach just looking for a bit of private time, the same people just kept pestering us to buy stuff.  I even tried to pay them to leave us alone, I tried very hard to be polite , but they just would not leave us alone. I was considering doing another cruise to PNG, but the pestering really bothered me

Edited by castaway01

1 hour ago, castaway01 said:

Hi Thanks for reply so quick, I have googled social media group Cruise PNG but got 600,000 hits could you give me a clue thanks. Well on Kitava and Kiriwina I gave out heaps of pens, pencils, tennis balls, fish hooks and sand paper to the kids and carvers and fisher men. And a bunch of books to schools,  I met an elderly gentleman on Kirawina who claimed his group tried to help everybody, so I have his address and have sent him a few things, just hope he is fair dinkum.. One thing the natives have to understand is not to pester the cruisers when we are on the beach just looking for a bit of private time, the same people just kept pestering us to buy stuff.  I even tried to pay them to leave us alone, I tried very hard to be polite , but they just would not leave us alone. I was considering doing another cruise to PNG, but the pestering really bothered me

You need to look in a book with your face.

14 hours ago, castaway01 said:

One thing the natives have to understand is not to pester the cruisers when we are on the beach just looking for a bit of private time, the same people just kept pestering us to buy stuff.  I even tried to pay them to leave us alone, I tried very hard to be polite , but they just would not leave us alone. I was considering doing another cruise to PNG, but the pestering really bothered me

We didn't have this problem a couple of years ago. The people with something to sell just sat with their carvings or whatever and looked at us with a shy smile. I wonder if they have learnt how much money they can make and maybe the ones who are more pushy, make more than the shy ones.

Edited by Aus Traveller

17 hours ago, exkiap said:

Hope this helps.

Hi John,

We travelled to New Guinea in 2017 and followed your advice on:

"MAKING DONATIONS TO THE PEOPLE OF PAPUA NEW GUINEA" and found it extremely helpful. We lodged a case of donations with Lydia on Kiriwina Island as we could not land on Kitava owing to bad weather. 

Do you still support these views as we are planning another trip for the future?

It was a rewarding experience to donate and it would be a shame if it has been messed up by a few.

I do not operate FB but still have the original links.

Cheers Anne & Ken

PS. Our paths also crossed in Norway.

14 minutes ago, kent05 said:

Hi John,

We travelled to New Guinea in 2017 and followed your advice on:

"MAKING DONATIONS TO THE PEOPLE OF PAPUA NEW GUINEA" and found it extremely helpful. We lodged a case of donations with Lydia on Kiriwina Island as we could not land on Kitava owing to bad weather. 

Do you still support these views as we are planning another trip for the future?

It was a rewarding experience to donate and it would be a shame if it has been messed up by a few.

I do not operate FB but still have the original links.

Cheers Anne & Ken

PS. Our paths also crossed in Norway.

Hi Anne and Ken,

I'll re attache the documents that are found on the Cruise PNG FB group just for this thread. I'll also post the Dos and Don'ts which should also help.

Cheers,

John

PNG - The Dos and Donts 2019.pdf

PNG - MAKING DONATIONS TO THE PEOPLE OF PAPUA NEW GUINEA.pdf

6 minutes ago, exkiap said:

Hi Anne and Ken,

I'll re attache the documents that are found on the Cruise PNG FB group just for this thread. I'll also post the Dos and Don'ts which should also help.

Cheers,

John

PNG - The Dos and Donts 2019.pdf

PNG - MAKING DONATIONS TO THE PEOPLE OF PAPUA NEW GUINEA.pdf

The links are blocked.

On 1/11/2019 at 1:34 PM, By The Bay said:

The links are blocked.

I've just gone on and downloaded both docs.

If you are using Windows 7 then look at the bottom left hand corner of your screen and you should see them or go to Windows Explorer and go to Downloads and you should see them there.

Cheers,

John

Edited by exkiap

2 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

For me as well.

I've just gone on and downloaded both docs.

If you are using Windows 7 then look at the bottom left hand corner of your screen and you should see them or go to Windows Explorer and go to Downloads and you should see them there.

Cheers,

John

3 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

Sorry, but it still says the document cannot be shared due to the permissions.

Sorry I don't know how to fix that as it must be something to do with the way this thread was set up.

If you are on fb and search for Cruise PNG you'll find all this information there in the files section plus heaps more.

15 minutes ago, exkiap said:

Sorry I don't know how to fix that as it must be something to do with the way this thread was set up.

If you are on fb and search for Cruise PNG you'll find all this information there in the files section plus heaps more.

cheers.