Food on NCL - Have you noticed a downward change???

SoloCruise777

Seems like the food might not be as good as it "used to" be. 😟

The idiom that familiarity breeds contempt is an old one. It means that the more comfortable one becomes with something the more likely they are to see the flaws in that thing. For instance, a person's feelings about a particular thing can go from optimistic, to complacent, to spiteful without that particular thing changing at all. The day to day proximity to the thing results in a person's mind looking for ways to keep it interesting.

The idea that "familiarity breeds contempt" or "the honeymoon is over" or "the sheen is off of the apple" has been around a long time. Things often don't "seem" to be as good as they were "in the beginning". When you took your first cruise, everything was new. Now you know what to expect, you know the routine, and it isn't new and exciting as it once was.

We hear a lot of anecdotal evidence that things are worse, but no facts, no hard evidence....just opinion. Interesting that despite the fact that this is just a part of the human condition, we have a hard time admitting that things just might not really be as bad as they "seem".

I guess nothing beats the "good old days". 🙄

• Like 4

11 hours ago, newmexicoNita said:

I can understand some not being crazy over Modernos, but the worst meal on any ship: well, that alone shows your partiality to other lines. 

Is there a problem with the poster being partial to other lines?  Be careful with your response because you are probably the most partial poster to NCL.  So, it's OK for you to respond to every negative NCL post with your positive comments but someone who makes a negative comment should be dismissed because they are not partial to NCL?

On 10/18/2018 at 4:06 PM, ano said:

When people save up all year to go on "vacation" they don't want meals that they eat the other 358 days of the year. I personally like scallops also, but they were nowhere to be found, even on NCL's "Seafood Night."

Old post I know.

Haven on the Epic 2 years ago.

Scallops on menu, yes. Daughter said can I have one, sure.

The server says I will bring 2 orders, great.

Each plate has 2 quarter size scallops? This is a main dish???

Wife got the Duck! Largest meal I have ever seen. HUGE, not joking!

21 hours ago, Vyhanek said:

Considering 2 years ago you could get lobster all week in any of the specialty restaurants, the steak cuts were excellent, the shrimp in the specialty dining was large.     Yes.    There has been a consistent and steady measurable decline.

But nothing like NCL food used to be 5-10 years ago when it was legitimately horrible and the NCL fans coined the term "subjective".    Only bad food is described as subjective.

NCL has been average (I'd say that's where we are now), it's definitely been up (2 years ago) and its definitely spent many, many years at the bottom of the cruise food industry.    

Agree about the Lobster and sea food period, but I also never saw the real attraction to the not particularly good Lobster anyway. As for the steaks, we are still happy with what we get. 

You are right about the ups and downs of the food. It is much better than 5 years ago, not as good as when many of us started cruising 20 or 30 years ago. 

13 hours ago, PATRLR said:

Is there a problem with the poster being partial to other lines?  Be careful with your response because you are probably the most partial poster to NCL.  So, it's OK for you to respond to every negative NCL post with your positive comments but someone who makes a negative comment should be dismissed because they are not partial to NCL?

Hey, I have made many negative posts about NCL but generally I have positive comments because I see the up side to life period. And am I partial to NCL? Yes, I am. I have cruised so many times on so many lines and I do happen to prefer NCL. Is there something wrong with that, not to mention I do not think CC is the place for negative attacks on posters. Negative about their comment yes, not them personally. No ones posts, unless they are personal should ever be dismissed btw. Everyone has a right to how they feel and to post their views; others have a right to disagree.  

9 hours ago, newmexicoNita said:

No ones posts, unless they are personal should ever be dismissed btw. 

But that is exactly the reasonable inference from your statement - why else would you mention that he was partial to other lines?

For the most part I have been a staunch NCL cheerleader but I have been somewhat disappointed with the food at O’Sheehan’s (Local on the Bliss). I have had great wings there on some cruises but the last few times they were not good. I ordered a grilled cheese sandwich at the Local and it was awful. The service seems to have also deteriorated . I know it’s not fine dining but I don’t look forward to eating there like I did in the past.

8 hours ago, gmbhardy said:

For the most part I have been a staunch NCL cheerleader but I have been somewhat disappointed with the food at O’Sheehan’s (Local on the Bliss). I have had great wings there on some cruises but the last few times they were not good. I ordered a grilled cheese sandwich at the Local and it was awful. The service seems to have also deteriorated . I know it’s not fine dining but I don’t look forward to eating there like I did in the past.

We ate there more on our May cruise than usual and I am inclined to agree, but then I have never thought the wings were great; they can be very hit or miss. As for the service, the same, from the first ship we were on that had O'Sheehans (the Jewel) we have not gotten excited about the service. Normally the fist and chips are still good and the breakfast, not great and a very limited menu but usually fast and never crowded. 

I was on the Escape for the first time this summer and although I'm new to cruising I thought the food was pretty poor. I'm not a picky eater either. We had 3 free specialty dining nights and I'm glad they were free because I wouldn't have paid the $25+ a plate they were charging. The food at Taste was better. The buffet food was very average to okay, good for grabbing something fast. The cleanliness of the buffet was lacking as well. There was no one being made to wash their hands as they came in depending on where you entered. The tables were dirty and the seats were wet from people sitting in them with wet bathing suits. There were a bunch of other instances that happened on our cruise so I probably won't cruise with NCL again.

17 minutes ago, styme123 said:

I was on the Escape for the first time this summer and although I'm new to cruising I thought the food was pretty poor. I'm not a picky eater either. We had 3 free specialty dining nights and I'm glad they were free because I wouldn't have paid the $25+ a plate they were charging. The food at Taste was better. The buffet food was very average to okay, good for grabbing something fast. The cleanliness of the buffet was lacking as well. There was no one being made to wash their hands as they came in depending on where you entered. The tables were dirty and the seats were wet from people sitting in them with wet bathing suits. There were a bunch of other instances that happened on our cruise so I probably won't cruise with NCL again.

wow, not sure how many cruises you have taken or which lines, but I am shocked to hear you found the buffet dirty. As for washy, washy, no you will not find someone at every entrance but we should all know to wash our hands regardless. If you did hit the buffet at the peak times, I can understand some tables may not have been totally cleaned, but one thing NCL is noted for is their sanitation. Just go to CDC and check ship inspections. They are almost always rated very high. I too am not impressed with the buffets, but we are not huge buffet eaters anyway. I have rarely eaten at a buffet that I would rate really good. Let me also ask you what speciality dining rooms did you try? Everyone has his/her own idea of good, and bad. I do not happen to be a lover of Cagney's but most are. The rest of the specialty dining rooms are very good, if for no other reason the service. At least we have always had good service.

I am sorry you were not impressed with the Escape. Sometimes summers are not a good time to cruise because of the number of families and the crowds. Of course no line is perfect for everyone. That is why we are so lucky to have so many choices.

Have I noticed a downward change in the food?  I took my first NCL cruise thirty years ago when cruises were known for the cuisine they served. Yeah, there's been a dramatic change since that time period in both the food and the ambience/service.  But you have to balance that against the fact that costs have been kept down allowing more folk to afford cruising, cabins are larger and the fact most people just aren't much in to the formality of those days.  Truthfully I don't miss my tux and dress codes in effect back then.

The main dining room food isn't bad and you aren't going to starve on a cruise.  But if you want a better dining experience you're going to have to pay NCL more and go to a specialty restaurant.  It's their business model and the way they make money. Obviously they've downgraded the MDR somewhat to steer people to the specialty restaurants.  Strictly a business decision and it's the current reality.

We just got off the Star's Christmas cruise and I have no complaints.  We ate mainly in the specialty restaurants but enjoyed Christmas dinner in the Versailles MDR (I was honestly curious what they'd serve) and they had a great menu.  I was surprised to see Beef Wellington on the menu for the holiday and it was very good. The buffet I thought was so-so but that's just me. Judging from the crowd I'd say most really liked the buffet food.

The cruising business continues to evolve. Some things get better, some not so good, some just different.  Personally I enjoyed my last cruise just as much as my first one decades ago.  And since I once again gained weight I obviously managed the current dining experience just fine. 

• Like 2

In the buffet there was only one washy washy lady for the whole area. So only one entrance coming off the elevator had her there. Nothing for those coming from the pool area at all or other areas. Most people that did come in that entrance with the washy lady just walked past her. Since the buffet is opened to the tables where people are sitting you can go back and forth never washing your hands 🤮. At the tables the silverware wasn't always clean we needed to get some from other tables a few times. The arm chairs were stained and wet often. At the coffee/water/juice station their were often people using there own cups/yeti's to fill directly from the spouts, again no one there to supervise. On the Crown Princess their set up at the buffet was a bit better. There was only one entrance to get into the buffet area and there was someone always stationed there right by the plates. There were walls going along the whole buffet area, so in order to get off the line so to speak you had to walk all the way to the end. They even had someone at that end in case you tried to go through the exit side. 

15 hours ago, PlayTheAces said:

Have I noticed a downward change in the food?  I took my first NCL cruise thirty years ago when cruises were known for the cuisine they served. Yeah, there's been a dramatic change since that time period in both the food and the ambience/service.  But you have to balance that against the fact that costs have been kept down allowing more folk to afford cruising, cabins are larger and the fact most people just aren't much in to the formality of those days.  Truthfully I don't miss my tux and dress codes in effect back then.

The main dining room food isn't bad and you aren't going to starve on a cruise.  But if you want a better dining experience you're going to have to pay NCL more and go to a specialty restaurant.  It's their business model and the way they make money. Obviously they've downgraded the MDR somewhat to steer people to the specialty restaurants.  Strictly a business decision and it's the current reality.

We just got off the Star's Christmas cruise and I have no complaints.  We ate mainly in the specialty restaurants but enjoyed Christmas dinner in the Versailles MDR (I was honestly curious what they'd serve) and they had a great menu.  I was surprised to see Beef Wellington on the menu for the holiday and it was very good. The buffet I thought was so-so but that's just me. Judging from the crowd I'd say most really liked the buffet food.

The cruising business continues to evolve. Some things get better, some not so good, some just different.  Personally I enjoyed my last cruise just as much as my first one decades ago.  And since I once again gained weight I obviously managed the current dining experience just fine. 

great post and so very true. Yes, things have changed and yes, the quality of food has declined since the 80s, but cruising is a totally different game now and basically we are happy with most of the changes. Even when it comes to washing hands and the washy washy lady or guy, I can remember when this wasn't even an issue. There were no washy, washy crew members. 

On 10/6/2018 at 5:44 PM, tallnthensome said:

i

If food quality continues it's downward spiral while prices rise it'll all end for me. We sail as a family of four and I'm not going to pay for specialty meals for four every night in order to get "good" food all whle already paying thousands just to get aboard the ship. When we sailed the Carnival Vista last year the food was school cafeteria awful especially the buffet. We sailed the new MSC Seaside in April and their food was excellent in the MDR and buffet. We sail the Bliss for 15 days in March with two kids in tow and will be observing the food quality come then. If you want to serve mediocre food, I'll take my money elseware before shelling out another $100 plus every evening for their good stuff. I hope others would do this is well .......

MSC appears to be a very good cruise line w/ good prices & itineraries.  I am curious if you had to schedule dining or were able to dine when you wanted (similar to NCL).  Did  you get a table for yourselves or did you have to share?  

On 12/27/2018 at 9:33 AM, peiguy48 said:

My post is not from 4 months ago it is a new one I created this morning.  NCL is the worst of any of the lines we have sailed be it for food or service.  Even on a previous cruise on the Getaway (we stayed in the Haven) the food except for the Haven restaurant wasn't much better but we wanted to give NCL another chance as others rave about this line so much.  

We are not partial to any line nor are we overly fussy but when other lines have superior food and service for the same price or less than NCL you begin to realize it is not as good of value as compared to others.  Moderno was awful meat was tough, over salted, the salad bar was mediocre, desserts were terrible as was the service.  However, if you read my post I praised Cagneys, it was wonderful both times we ate there.  NCL has its fans and thats great and if you have a wonderful experience with them that is fantastic but no one should be criticized for having different opinions  of this cruise line.

I know food is very subjective, but I find the food on NCL awesome. I have never had a bad meal on that cruise line. I consider myself a semi picky eater too. I am not an NCL fan, I sail on whichever ship has a better itinerary. I have sailed on Celebrity (amazing food), Carnival, (good), and RCI, (ehh so/so). Different strokes for different folks. But one experience wouldn't make me never cruise a certain line, just because the food wasn't good on one sailing doesn't mean it won't be fantastic on a different sailing, there are many factors involved. Happy sailing 🙂

21 hours ago, styme123 said:

In the buffet there was only one washy washy lady for the whole area. So only one entrance coming off the elevator had her there. Nothing for those coming from the pool area at all or other areas. Most people that did come in that entrance with the washy lady just walked past her. Since the buffet is opened to the tables where people are sitting you can go back and forth never washing your hands 🤮. At the tables the silverware wasn't always clean we needed to get some from other tables a few times. The arm chairs were stained and wet often. At the coffee/water/juice station their were often people using there own cups/yeti's to fill directly from the spouts, again no one there to supervise. On the Crown Princess their set up at the buffet was a bit better. There was only one entrance to get into the buffet area and there was someone always stationed there right by the plates. There were walls going along the whole buffet area, so in order to get off the line so to speak you had to walk all the way to the end. They even had someone at that end in case you tried to go through the exit side. 

But there are sanitation stations at every entrance, you should not need the washy washy lady to wash your hands, it's common sense :classic_cool:

3 minutes ago, cathi007 said:

But there are sanitation stations at every entrance, you should not need the washy washy lady to wash your hands, it's common sense :classic_cool:

I didn't mean that I needed someone to help or remind me to wash my own hands but noting more so how most people just passed her up and didn't wash theirs and now we are eating at the same buffet. Where on Princess you had to wash your hands or you couldn't enter. I was just noticing some of the extra precautions one cruise line took over another.

14 minutes ago, styme123 said:

I didn't mean that I needed someone to help or remind me to wash my own hands but noting more so how most people just passed her up and didn't wash theirs and now we are eating at the same buffet. Where on Princess you had to wash your hands or you couldn't enter. I was just noticing some of the extra precautions one cruise line took over another.

I am sure on any cruise line you are not "forced" to wash your hands, either you do or you don't. There are disgusting people on every line, even the most exclusive lines. I have cruised Celebrity, NCL, Carnival, and Royal and I have seen people leave a bathroom on every cruise without washing their hands. Sad but true, it has nothing to do with the cruise line

I am going to admit right off that I did not read every post here, so I might be repeating something, but you have to think about what you are paying vs. what you are getting. Prices have stayed low on cruises, especially on NCL, and food costs have continued to rise, as have labor costs. The best bargain around is still cruising, no matter what kind of food you get. of course the food is better in the Haven, they are paying a lot more per person. Also, in the specialty restaurants, you are paying extra for a reason. Is it worth it? Maybe not, maybe yes, but think about how the cost of a cruise compares to the cost of vacationing anywhere else, and then say that the food you are getting is not worth what you are paying. And, way back, the comment about salsa with your eggs? I always found having anything remotely related to ketchup with my eggs as pretty disgusting, but then again, in NY we don't really eat salsa with everything. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, styme123 said:

And yet since 2015 Princess has had a norovirus outbreak every year for a total of 8 since 2015, with the most recent in 2018.  NCL has only had 2 since 2015 with the most recent in 2016.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, senseib said:

And yet since 2015 Princess has had a norovirus outbreak every year for a total of 8 since 2015, with the most recent in 2018.  NCL has only had 2 since 2015 with the most recent in 2016.

NCL have had two this month

Washy washy is not enough to kill Norovirus anyhow, hot soap and water.

The C.D.C. says that as a means of preventing norovirus infection, alcohol-based sanitizers can be used “in addition” to hand washing, never as a substitute. Hand sanitizers can reduce the spread of some viruses, like the flu. But against norovirus they are largely ineffective; better to use soap and water