SO difficult to navigate the new CC

Since the revamp I’m finding the new site very frustrating. I have no idea how to find the threads I was actively posting on, other than a Roll Call. I really miss the App on my IPad. I cannot see the reason for doing away with this. I have to use Safari now which has so much more ‘stuff’ around the page you’re reading  

Is it just me or is everyone else struggling?  I miss my daily pop in to have a quick look. So much more difficult now. 

• Like 1

Yes I am struggling too.  So many bugs, broken links, problems navigating on a phone.

its totally mobile unfriendly.  

Whilst I accept bugs are being worked through (though they had a week down, so I expected far less) it’s so far absolutely no improvement more a massive retrograde step.  So much for a better look and feel, even in my IPad it’s needing way too much adjusting and working around and I’d like to think I’m pretty IT savvy.  

Also all the great photo journals posted via the apps can’t be seen now which isn’t helpful for future cruisers  it’s been flagged up by many on the glitches thread but no response.  

Very disappointed so far. Time will tell if it improves otherwise I think with the availability of other social media sources the value of this site will crash.

• Like 1

There is a "Help" board on Cruise Critic.  It’s better to post questions and give feedback there rather than on individual cruiseline message boards.  More likely to find your answer or at least get heard with issues you have:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/859-need-help-ask-here/

Phil

1 hour ago, excitedofharpenden said:

There is a "Help" board on Cruise Critic.  It’s better to post questions and give feedback there rather than on individual cruiseline message boards.  More likely to find your answer or at least get heard with issues you have:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/859-need-help-ask-here/

Phil

Thanks Phil, yes I have posted there though it’s hard to know which thread to post on given the number of issues!  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, uktog said:

Thanks Phil, yes I have posted there though it’s hard to know which thread to post on given the number of issues!  

Have to agree, I’ve waded through multiple threads and everything has been covered by others so there’s not much to add. As we tend to use iPads to browse the site I’ve not yet checked it out on our desktop but it’s so mobile unfriendly we’ll just be checking back occasionally to see what improvements are made, if any.

It’s a shame as this forum has provided a wealth of information, the forum app was excellent and provided easy access but I’m not prepared to waste time on the current format.

1 hour ago, Riocca said:

Have to agree, I’ve waded through multiple threads and everything has been covered by others so there’s not much to add. As we tend to use iPads to browse the site I’ve not yet checked it out on our desktop but it’s so mobile unfriendly we’ll just be checking back occasionally to see what improvements are made, if any.

I checked out my Lap Top and was glad that I did, as I found my name with an arrow at the side of it. This took me to numerous links that I coulda not see on my iPad in Portrait mode. 

I have now put my iPad into Landscape mode and can see all the links!

If you use the Forums tab at the top, then it looks very similar to the old website. I find that the easiest way to use it. I like the fact that when I’ve looked at an unread topic(thread) I can use the Next Unread Topic button at the bottom to navigate to other unread topics and that when that doesn’t show up, I know I’ve caught up and read all the new posts in that forum.

8 minutes ago, Host Grandma Cruising said:

If you use the Forums tab at the top, then it looks very similar to the old website. I find that the easiest way to use it. I like the fact that when I’ve looked at an unread topic(thread) I can use the Next Unread Topic button at the bottom to navigate to other unread topics and that when that doesn’t show up, I know I’ve caught up and read all the new posts in that forum.

I am trying to view that way, whilst it might look in parts like the old site, it certainly doesn't perform like it.  Like Riocca its not a positive change especially if you are using it on mobile technology.  Cant be bothered working it out, I will see how it is performing in the next week or so before deciding whether to give up or not.  If the mobile and app issue can be resolved, that will make a huge issue however I read the response on the glitches thread to mean they had it in hand to remove cruise critic from Tapatalk not that they had it in hand to fix it.

Most of the threads on the Report bugs have been removed, as many were critical of the change whilst reporting issues I hope that the removal is only because some one is working on the answers and not for another reason.  

7 hours ago, Riocca said:

It’s a shame as this forum has provided a wealth of information, the forum app was excellent and provided easy access but I’m not prepared to waste time on the current format.

4 hours ago, uktog said:

I am trying to view that way, whilst it might look in parts like the old site, it certainly doesn't perform like it.  Like Riocca its not a positive change especially if you are using it on mobile technology.  Cant be bothered working it out, I will see how it is performing in the next week or so before deciding whether to give up or not.  If the mobile and app issue can be resolved, that will make a huge issue however I read the response on the glitches thread to mean they had it in hand to remove cruise critic from Tapatalk not that they had it in hand to fix it.

Most of the threads on the Report bugs have been removed, as many were critical of the change whilst reporting issues I hope that the removal is only because some one is working on the answers and not for another reason.  

2 hours ago, uktog said:

Yes mobile technology involves a phone :classic_biggrin:

2 hours ago, uktog said:

Yes mobile technology involves a phone :classic_biggrin:

Agree with everyone , if it's not broken why not leave it alone . It was fine before .

I use my desktop 27-inch iMac almost exclusively and rarely if ever use my iPhone or iPad for message boards, so the new format works fine for me. Sounds like the issues are mainly with phone/tablet usage. The new format is closer to the format of some other boards I've used, so I'm OK with it.

Edited by JIMinNC

33 minutes ago, Tuscanybabe said:

Agree with everyone , if it's not broken why not leave it alone ?

it worked very well before .

My guess is the change would have been made to reduce any corporate fee paid to the app publisher.  My personal view is that it seems ok at the moment.

14 hours ago, cinnamon said:

Since the revamp I’m finding the new site very frustrating. I have no idea how to find the threads I was actively posting on, other than a Roll Call. I really miss the App on my IPad. I cannot see the reason for doing away with this. I have to use Safari now which has so much more ‘stuff’ around the page you’re reading  

Is it just me or is everyone else struggling?  I miss my daily pop in to have a quick look. So much more difficult now. 

I agree that it's much more difficult.  The app was super easy and drove traffic to the site.  One would think that mere self-preservation would make an app a high priority for CC.

But apparently not.

On 10/17/2018 at 10:49 AM, Host Grandma Cruising said:

I like the fact that when I’ve looked at an unread topic(thread) I can use the Next Unread Topic button at the bottom to navigate to other unread topics and that when that doesn’t show up, I know I’ve caught up and read all the new posts in that forum.

The big negative for how I used the site previously is the fact that we now only have one option to navigate unread topics, i.e. "Next".  As someone who prefers to read unread topics from oldest to newest, I greatly miss the "Previous" option at the bottom of the thread being read.  I hope they will return it, because it stinks to have to return all the way out of the thread viewer back to the topic menu in order to select the next oldest unread topic.

1 hour ago, Stumblefoot said:

The big negative for how I used the site previously is the fact that we now only have one option to navigate unread topics, i.e. "Next".  As someone who prefers to read unread topics from oldest to newest, I greatly miss the "Previous" option at the bottom of the thread being read.  I hope they will return it, because it stinks to have to return all the way out of the thread viewer back to the topic menu in order to select the next oldest unread topic.

Under this thread, on the right, there's a place that says NEXT UNREAD TOPIC. Is that what you're looking for? If not, read the document I attached in post 18. 

On 10/17/2018 at 12:53 AM, cinnamon said:

Click the down arrow right next to your profile in the upper right, then on manage followed content, that will take you to all your "subscribed threads".

image.png.54f9ba166c305e1b7c03e4ce32396f5e.png

You can also go to the top of the page, click the activity tab, the unread content is all new posts since you last logged on, the content I started is thread you created, and the activity streams has a content I follow and content I posted as well as the ability to create a custom "stream" of your choosing.

image.png.92ccdf925d99752ac302ed100a8623a0.png

On 10/17/2018 at 5:19 PM, JIMinNC said:

I use my desktop 27-inch iMac almost exclusively and rarely if ever use my iPhone or iPad for message boards, so the new format works fine for me. Sounds like the issues are mainly with phone/tablet usage. The new format is closer to the format of some other boards I've used, so I'm OK with it.

I’m glad CC works fine for you on your 27 inch desk top. I have not owned a desk top for at least 15 years. I used my phone app for many years. The new boards are a step backwards. 

3 minutes ago, Got2Cruise said:

I’m glad CC works fine for you on your 27 inch desk top. I have not owned a desk top for at least 15 years. I used my phone app for many years. The new boards are a step backwards. 

I use a phone too, just not for message boards. I'm at my desktop most of the day, and need the power of a large-screen desktop for professional level photo management and editing software. 

18 minutes ago, Got2Cruise said:

All those giving advice about your screen name and profile: Thank you, I know you’re trying to help but it makes mobile users more frustrated. We can’t see our screen name to click on!! Maybe now you can understand our frustration. 

Too true. One does have to provide instruction for both mobile and desktop for this. On mobile, at the top of each page, below the cc banner is a toolbar. On the far right is a menu icon, three horizontal bars. To the left of that is a search icon, magnifying glass. To the left of that is usually a default stream icon, usually a newspaper but right now it's broken and is just a missing graphic icon.

If you click on the menu icon a menu will pop with a bell and (possibly) an envelope. Clicking the bell will list your notifications. Top right of that form is a link to Notification Settings.

From the menu, to get to streams click on Activity. All Activity is equivalent to New Posts in the old system. My Activity Streams brings up another menu the Content | Follow option is roughly equivalent to the list one used to get in the control panel. But the juiciest part is, (you may have to scroll down), the Create New Stream button.

If you click Create New Stream the form that pops will ask for a stream name and has a bunch of options you can select. Once you have set these preferences, at the bottom of the form, click Save Changes. The new stream will now appear. Click on the (faint) checkmark, rightmost of the icons beside the stream name. This makes it the default stream.

You can put a shortcut to the stream on you home screen/desktop.

If you have made the stream your default, simply clicking on the newspaper icon on the page menu (first of the icons on the right) will bring up the stream.

Edited by broberts